Jimmays WJ Build Log - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Jimmays WJ Build Log

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Jimmays WJ Build Log

Alright, I've been saying I was going to do this for a while, and never got around to it. I bought the Jeep last year in Febuary. It had 123k on the odometer, and now she sits at 153k. I've done nearly all the work, bar the welding, which is what I'm trying to learn now. It has a 3 inch IRO lift, Bilstein 5100s, Trans go shift kit, 242HD swap, Akebono swap, factory armor, a set of Treadwright Claws. Ive replaced a ton of parts(radiator, bushings, steering gear box, balljoints, tierod ends and and links, hubs, pinion bearings, motor mounts(do yourself a favor and buy the mopar ones) you name it.)Basically the first couple of posts are going to be catch up from the last year and a half.

When i first brought her home

Ditched the crappy street tires for the Treadwrights and then went wheeling for the first time.

Highcentered, but I was able to free myself(This is at the Cliffs Insane Terrain)

Then I decided to crush my rocker panel

I was tired of the Claws rubbing on my front bumper, so i trimmed the fog lamps out.

Then I just took the bumper off completely(Still running it like this)( Badlands in Indiana)

This is from the last wheeling trip

Unread 08-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Floor board rust repair

I made the mistake of buying a WJ that has spend its entire life in Chicago. Sometimes I think the P.O. parked this thing in the ocean and let it sit there for a few weeks.

I a rust hole in my wheel well, which I cant find the pictures right now, but it was allowing water to pool on my drivers side floor board. So I pulled the interior out, and went to work.

Drivers floor board. Between wire wheeling and scraping, I was able to get it clean. I coated it in RustOleum rust converter, and then bedliner. We'll see how well it holds up.

When I got to the passenger side, I noticed a nice little rust bubble. So I did what most people would do, hit it with a hammer.

Hit it a few more times, and then the brace that ties the unibody rail to the rocker and also has the bolt on it for the seat, committed suicide.

So then I cut out the cancer

Cut a new piece and had it welded in

Then had the patch panel welded in

Boom, no more hole!
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Suspension

After replacing all the tierod ends, balljoints, and bushings, I still had clunk. I eventually narrowed it down to the front sway bar bushings.

Old vs New

Unread 08-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Quarter Panel rot repair

When i pulled my rear bumper off to replace my rotted gas tank skid, the jeep had another surprise for me. My quarters were rotted beyond belief. I covered the holes in duct tape to try and stop more water from getting into the cab. Now I need to fix them. Ive seen what a few members have done with the quarters, and Ill probably copy what they have done. But this is what im looking at now.

Completely gone

I hate salt

Why....
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Electronics/Audio

reserved
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
mxjosh

Did you extend your bump stops? I have similar set up, but with JK take offs and wheels spacers and a 3/4" spring spacer up front and haven't tried wheeling it yet, so just curious if you had any rubbing issues. Looks good!
JK take off's and 32's
mxjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxjosh View Post
Did you extend your bump stops? I have similar set up, but with JK take offs and wheels spacers and a 3/4" spring spacer up front and haven't tried wheeling it yet, so just curious if you had any rubbing issues. Looks good!
No, I have not. I massaged the front of the rocker with a mini sledge. The first time i disconnected the front sway bar i ripped the washer motors out of the bottle. In the rear the tires and the wheel well tried to become one. The wheel well ended up taking chunks out of the outer lugs. Im going to be cutting a lot back there soon, and Im going to open up the rear wheel wells.

Even if i wanted to extend my rear bump stops, they have rotted need to be cut out and replaced. Its on my to-do list, just haven't gotten around to it
Unread 08-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Rear frame rail crack

I also noticed this when I was under there.

Any ideas? What I think I'm going to do is, clean up as much rust as possible, fill in the crack with a welder, and then sleeve the rail( stitch welding, but should I also cut out some holes in the sleeves and have it plug welded?). Then paint it all.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed. I plan on fixing this when i raise the gas tank and get rid of the spare tire well. I figure there will be more room to work then.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.