JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #121
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Little bit of little stuff. I re-mounted my FE where I can reach it:

and I mounted a little shovel, so I at least sort of have one:

a closer look:

Last edited by JeepWJ; 08-19-2010 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Because I'm stupid with links
JeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #122
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWJ View Post
Little bit of little stuff. I re-mounted my FE where I can reach it:
I would be worried that would hit me in the head when wheeling. That plastic retainer doesn't look strong enough IMO.

I drove by your place but you didn't seem home. Guess I missed out.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #123
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i dig that you are trying to be prepared for stuff!

you might see if an e-tool sheath for the gerber version of that shovel would fit your shovel - then you could mount the sheath to the door and have a much quicker removal of the shovel: GerberGear > Gear > Shovels & Spades

and that actual e-tool is a great little shovel, stays locked open better than any of the standard metal military knock-off ones i've used before.

and if you are concerned at all about that mounting system on your fire extinguisher, you could use a couple large quick-fists, they definitely won't let go.
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #124
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
I would be worried that would hit me in the head when wheeling. That plastic retainer doesn't look strong enough IMO.

I drove by your place but you didn't seem home. Guess I missed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
if you are concerned at all about that mounting system on your fire extinguisher, you could use a couple large quick-fists, they definitely won't let go.
Oooh, thanks for the link, ksmith, I saw a couple of sheaths at Fleet Farm, where I got the shovel, but they were all in kind of bad repair (used), so I didn't bother, but I never thought of looking for them elsewhere. I'll probably be using that idea! I kind of feel a little sissy carrying that thing around instead of a full-size shovel, but where would I put a full-size? I can't get a roof rack unless I want to forfeit my garage space.....

Re: the FE, I worried a little about it too, but I'm thinking it may not be a problem. I've used this FE in the back of my rig for over a year now and it's never come off the holder. Almost tore out of the plastic I mounted it to, but I've never dropped it out of the holder. The roof liner is metal, so the screws won't be tearing out, so the only issue that leaves is bumping it with my head. During normal driving it's close to a foot from my head (same with the passenger). I'll test it out for 'comfort' next wheeling trip and see.

I will be looking at the quick-fists too. Maybe they're a better option. We'll see.

Ducksguts, if you drove by right about 4:30 or 5, I was walking past your house to go get some food. Otherwise, I was around. Maybe just didn't hear you knock? Dunno.....
Unread 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #125
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just think you would be happier with a more stout mount than plastic. It will work in the mean time. I still have to figure out where to mount mine. I am thinking about rigging something on the glove box.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #126
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I just think you would be happier with a more stout mount than plastic.
I probably would be, but for now it was just get the thing mounted. I'll deal with upgrading the holder later...
Unread 08-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #127
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just got to say though that I find it really great that you have no problem drilling and cutting large holes in your Luxo-wheeler.

Definitely tanking the resale value. I like it!

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #128
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

I'm planning on keeping it until it's a collector car and then parting it out

(Even though I tried that with a Mazda MPV and that was a complete flop too)
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #129
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Riding Dirty

Had to help him prepare for wheeling this weekend.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #130
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Unread 08-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #131
Madmike4790
2002 WJ 

i would just be worried about the fire extinguisher if your were to get into an accident.
Madmike4790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #132
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmike4790 View Post
i would just be worried about the fire extinguisher if your were to get into an accident.
Chris and I have hand numerous discussions about this. I'm sure it will be fixed soon. Although it is mounted more solidly than it looks I still wouldn't trust it either.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #133
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Chris and I have hand numerous discussions about this. I'm sure it will be fixed soon. Although it is mounted more solidly than it looks I still wouldn't trust it either.
Yes, I appreciate the worrying, but it's good enough for now. As soon as I'm able, I'm gonna probably use Ksmith's quick-fist idea. It's just a matter of time, money, and stuff like that. The priority here was to get the thing attached where I can reach it in time for a wheeling trip that requires an FE. Next step is to mount it a little better.

But like I said, thanks for worrying
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #134
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Trollhaugen!! (for the out-of staters, that's not the same as farfrompuken)

Ducksguts and I camped overnight and woke up to this:

Went wheeling, and I got stuck (first time ever!):

very sandy soil, so I just kept spinning the tires, and couldnt' get any traction. Got winched out by theducksguts. I'll be fixing this before Sep. 13 (IRO's got free shipping till then):

And don't trust Rusty's tow hooks to pull a TJ off a log....

It's hard to tell, but the hook is supposed to be perpendicular to the surface of the bumper. It's not.

Ducksguts had some fun too. For the record, it IS possible to wheelie a TJ with a 2.5L engine. This is about 2 seconds before the wheelie:

He also busted up some stuff, but that's for him to talk about on his thread All in all, I'd say it was a lot of fun; the whole park was designed for WAAY bigger rigs than my WJ. I would have had a lot more fun in a mud rig or a tube buggy, but hey! the whole idea of my WJ is to do expeditions, not to climb over 3' boulders and go through 4' deep mud pits. I'm pretty happy though. I promised myself that I wouldn't break anything, and all I damaged was the tow hooks and the tie rod, but I drove the rig home for 4 hours (doorless ) and it was perfectly fine, so I can leave things as they are for a little while.

For the record: from the looks I got, most people on the freeway think a doorless WJ is pretty ridiculous. A doorless WJ which is splattered with mud and has a bent tie rod is

Last edited by JeepWJ; 08-29-2010 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: the past tense of the verb 'to get' is not spelled 'god'. Sigh...
JeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #135
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It was a good time for sure. I talked with some people and they said that the trails this year were more extreme than years past. The bypasses were also in rough condition making some of them almost just as difficult as the obstacles.

Had some good trail riding and fun in the rock garden. Wish I would have came more prepared. Stupid wheel locks.

Check out my Classifieds

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.