JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #76
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
kewl, you got it dirty!

i did the front driver seat heater fix like you a few months ago, the burnt up wire was in the exact same spot...
What did you use for the wire? Copper like I did, or did you find tungsten somewhere?

Unread 05-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #77
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvreitz View Post
What did you use for the wire? Copper like I did, or did you find tungsten somewhere?

And, yup, I got it dirty, AND broke. Busted up a tail light, and a rocker panel. Woot woot woot.
just copper wire, wouldn't solder very well, didn't read your edits to your post before i did it oh well, see how long it holds!
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #78
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
see how long it holds!
Well, FWIW, mine's held up just fine for a good 6 months now...

edit: 1 year later, it's dead again.
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #79
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

JCR vs IRO sliders

Yes, I know this thread's been done before, but a friend and I were weighing the options, and I thought I'd do a little side-by-side. Keep in mind that I'm kinda leaning toward the JCR sliders as is. Also keep in mind I'm basically thinking out loud here:

IRO
  • beefy
  • more frame/pinch weld attachment points
  • powder-coated
  • high ground clearance
  • less lateral protection
  • fits well
  • $$$$$

JCR
  • beefy
  • less frame/pinch weld attachment points
  • unpainted
  • possible ground-clearance issues
  • more lateral protection
  • possible fit issues, JCR appears happy to send spacers to fix.
  • $$$

So to me it looks like a decision between paint-it-yourself and powder-coat and a tradeoff between lateral protection and ground clearance.

Add to that a couple things.
  • Someone on JF felt it necessary to mod the IRO sliders, for better lateral proteciton. So at least some people feel that there's not enough on the IRO skids.
  • Powdercoating looks nice, but is almost impossible to repair. Sliders are meant to take abuse, and therefore should be easy to repair.

I think I just talked myself out of getting IRO's sliders. Anyone wanna talk me back into it?

Now, the real question. Should I paint the JCRs black, or rattle-can-matching-body-color?

EDIT: Now IRO offers their sliders without powder coating, and JCR offers Stage 3 (angled-up) sliders.
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #80
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i say paint doesn't matter, go cheapest and easiest to fix (rattle can black)... i used to touch up my sliders all the time cuz they get used, now i only do it like a couple times a year when i get the jeep detailed... they just get beat up so regularly
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #81
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

how come you didn't post the pictures where you busted up your front flood lights and rear tail light?

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #82
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

I dunno. Guess I didn't feel like taking pictures. Maybe I will if I have time someday....

BTW, just found a major drawback to JCR's sliders. "I guess a couple weeks" production time.

Last edited by JeepWJ; 05-30-2010 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: fixed typo. Yes, I'm anal. HA.
JeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #83
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I dunno. Guess I didn't feel like taking pictures. Maybe I will if I have time someday....

BBTW, just found a major drawback to JCR's sliders. "I guess a couple weeks" production time.
Happens, I waited 2 months for my axle to be built. I always try to swing package deals. Maybe a discount if you package a bumper with too.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #84
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
Maybe a discount if you package a bumper with too.
ROFL, with what money?

I just ordered the sliders, so I suspect you may be invited to a rock-rail installation party in the next few months...
Unread 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #85
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

hurrah! for new parts!

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #86
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Here ya go, ducksguts. Enjoy my pain.

Unread 05-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #87
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Sorry, guys, bear with me, but I need to write some stuff down for possible future projects.

LED A/C console would take 9 reds and 2 white/blues. there's 12v across them, so you need a 470-ohm resistor in series to knock it down to a manageable voltage.

The EL instrument cluster might be really easy; just take the gauges off, and put down some red plastic. Shouldn't be bad at all, unless it turns out the EL panel's too bright or something. We'll see...

EDIT -- Red plastic didn't work. Might have to buy myself some do-it-yourself EL paneling.

Redding the radio out shouldn't be too hard; just pull off the blue caps, and paint some red over the bulbs. EDIT -- Not so easy. It doesn't look good. I'd have to either find red caps, or just get more red LEDs.

Not sure what I'll have to do with the shifter, heated seat, or VIC lights. I'll take 'em apart at some point and see.

Last edited by JeepWJ; 07-18-2010 at 07:13 AM..
Unread 05-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #88
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Sorry, another note to self:

Diff fluid changes. From the user manual. Fill to 1/2" below drain hole.
Front D30 : 80W-90
Rear D44a, Vari-lok: 75W-140 + friction modifier

I could use RTV, but I don't like it. I'll probably get some lubelockers (need to check if the d44 one fits a d44a), else I'll just pick up some graphite gasket material and make 'em myself ($$)

EDIT: ducksguts says (and lubelocker confirms) the d44 gaskets do not fit the d44a axle. I just ended up using silver RTV. Apparently the black stuff gets corroded by synthetic oil needed for the Vari-lok.

Last edited by JeepWJ; 06-05-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #89
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sorry, another note to self:

Diff fluid changes. From the user manual. Fill to 1/2" below drain hole.
Rear D44, Vari-lok: 75W-140 + friction modifier

I could use RTV, but I don't like it. I'll probably get some lubelockers (need to check if the d44 one fits a d44a), else I'll just pick up some graphite gasket material and make 'em myself ($$)
Dana 44 gaskets will not fit a Dana 44a. This is fact. RTV is not the enemy.

I did find THIS though.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #90
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
RTV is not the enemy.

I did find THIS though.
LOL....well, if stores are open, I might get the fluids and RTV, and just go for it.

I think your problem is that you WANT me to go bankrupt! Bad influence...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.