JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #31
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc
i want to do something to my jeep, but idk what. any ideas? what are you doing with that metal piece on top of the dash?
Well, I never bolted it down. I just bent the metal up and placed it there, thought 'this is hideous', and threw it on a corner of my workbench. As for what to do with the dub, find a place to get 4" black ABS pipe and a couple 45 elbows and lemme know, and we can build a pair of FIPK's....I'd do it right now, but I can't find 4" ABS and I REALLY don't want PVC in my engine bay...

Unread 09-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #32
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvreitz View Post
Well, I never bolted it down. I just bent the metal up and placed it there, thought 'this is hideous', and threw it on a corner of my workbench. As for what to do with the dub, find a place to get 4" black ABS pipe and a couple 45 elbows and lemme know, and we can build a pair of FIPK's....I'd do it right now, but I can't find 4" ABS and I REALLY don't want PVC in my engine bay...
where would i even start looking for that?? haha. pvc would look ghetto, even more ghetto than that switch plate would have been
Unread 10-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #33
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

ok, so I haven't done much here for a few weeks because I've been saving up for some more stuff, in particular, TIRES! Before I just go and buy what I think will work well, I thought I'd get people's input. Here are the two limitations I'm working with:

1) I don't want to have to trim (at least yet), so 32" is the biggest I'll go. Please don't tell me to get 37s.

2) I have 17" stock rims with TPMS. If someone wants to trade them for 16" stock rims with TPMS, I'll think about it; otherwise I'm sticking with my 17s. So again, please don't suggest something that only comes in 15"...

That all having been said, I'm thinking of getting some 32x17 BFG KM 2s. Any good reasons for or against this? Any other tires that you're absolutely in love with (please tell me why) that I should consider?

Lastly, I'm about 90% certain that I'll replace the spare with the larger mud tire as well, even though I won't be able to fit it in the tire bay anymore. Any reasons why I should keep the stock spare? Any clever ideas how to mount the new, bigger spare? I have a low garage, so I can't put it on a roof rack. Nor can I really afford to fab up a rear bumper/carrier right now...

Thanks in advance for any input!
Unread 10-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #34
99avant

Quote:

Lastly, I'm about 90% certain that I'll replace the spare with the larger mud tire as well, even though I won't be able to fit it in the tire bay anymore. Any reasons why I should keep the stock spare? Any clever ideas how to mount the new, bigger spare? I have a low garage, so I can't put it on a roof rack. Nor can I really afford to fab up a rear bumper/carrier right now...
I put tools/blankets/etc in the spare tire well and put the tire on the floor of the back (on top of the cover).

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #35
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

guess what I ordered today???

Just a little excited about my early Christmas gift...
Unread 11-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #36
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

i hope tires
Unread 11-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #37
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeWJ View Post
i hope tires
oh, yeah, baby!
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #38
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
oh, yeah, baby!
what kind?
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #39
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
what kind?
KM2s....Might be able to get them installed as early as next week sometime!
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #40
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Well, it's official. The switched under-hood light that was on 2001s, and wjjeeps.com claims fits on 2002s also works on 2003s. Here it is:

So first, you have to figure out where to cut the hole in the black liner under the hood. I just looked at wjjeeps.com and kinda guessed, and it ended up working pretty well.

Next, you crack off the plastic around the two pins on the lamp, so you can solder to them. I just used a pair of needle-nose pliers to crack the plastic off. After that, I just soldered a couple wires onto the pins. I also included a fuse, so I wouldn't mistakenly fry anything.

Heat shrink tubing works well to weatherproof things.

Finally, I just routed the wire under the hood liner, through some plastic tubing, down to the fuse box and body, where I attached the wires.

Be careful how you run the tubing, so it doesn't pinch when you close the hood.

Oh, and yeah, it works:

It also turns off when you close the hood

Last edited by JeepWJ; 11-07-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: had a second to actually upload pictures
JeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #41
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

I just got my new tires!!! I LOVE them!

Unread 11-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #42
Irish007
2000 WJ 

I dig everything but the ricer tail lights. You can get direct replacements from certifit. IMHO I think stock taillights lightly smoked, along with tint on the front windows to match the rest would look very clean, especially with the color that you have. Have you done any performance mods yet?
Irish007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #43
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish007 View Post
I dig everything but the ricer tail lights. You can get direct replacements from certifit. IMHO I think stock taillights lightly smoked, along with tint on the front windows to match the rest would look very clean, especially with the color that you have. Have you done any performance mods yet?
x2 to that
Unread 11-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #44
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish007 View Post
Actually, I almost got a replacement stock lite when I broke mine, but then I decided to go for the ones I've got now. I'd also rather they were a little less ricey, but actually, I'm really NOT a fan of the stock lights, and to me, this is at least an improvement. But to each his own.

As for tint on the front windows, that has crossed my mind more than once. We'll see....

And for performance mods, does putting bigger tires on it so it goes slower count? I'm also thinking about a steel bumper, so it gets even heavier, and therefore slower yet. Once I do that, does a winch count? Because by then I'll be going so slow, I'd be faster if I just winched myself to work.

Seriously, though, I might stick a FIPK in there at some point, but other than that, the only performance mods I can see in the near future are gears or maybe a locker, although I doubt that part....
Unread 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #45
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

hehe....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.