JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #16
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedPony View Post
I'm thinking about doing the bumper cut also but if I do, I may cut it all the way in half and not leave that middle part.
I thought about that too, but I ended up leaving the middle area because otherwise a chunk of radiator would have been sticking out, and for some reason, I'd rather have 3/32" of plastic between my radiator and an obstacle than to have a whole lotta air...

Seriously, though, I figured both that the teeny tiny bit of protection that plastic provides would help, and I didn't think it'd look good to have half the radiator sticking out the bottom. But if you do it, post pix and lemme know! I'd be curious to see how it'd turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8man1068 View Post
Looks really sharp. My IRO 3" will be here Thursday. Now I'm saving up for wheels+tires.
Do you have any pictures of the permanent power converter install? That's really interesting.
Cool...did you get the IRO shocks, the Doetsch's, or the Bilsteins? I got the Doetsch's and they squeak a bit, otherwise, I love the lift.

Re: pics of the inverter install, Here ya be. I will warn you, though, that I used a crappy little Targus 100W inverter which isn't worth jack. Someday soon, I'll probably be buying a real inverter for my rig.

while I'm at it, lemme put this up, just so I've got it all in one place...

Unread 08-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #17
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

real 120v power

As I've mentioned earlier, I've got a 120V inverter in my heep, but it only handles about 75W, which is a joke. I just got my hands on a 400W inverter, and here's how I am installing it (not done yet):

Step 1: Retrofit the inverter with a remote switch and on/fault LEDs.

Only place I could get it to fit was in between the cup holders and the CD box under the center console. That meant that I needed to run power, a switch, and (just for bling) the power/fault LEDs elsewhere. So, I tore the inverter apart (that's what you do with brand-new equipment, right?...I mean, that's what you do with Jeeps. I just figured everything else is the same).The fat tan cable is 120V power, the blue cable is cat5 cable that powers a couple status LEDs, and the black/white pair are for a switch.

Step 2: Install the inverter

Tight fit, which is part of why I hacked up all the inverter's insides and ran all those cables. I'm holding it on with zip-ties. It seems to have done the trick very nicely.

Step 3: cut some ventilation holes

Nothing too fancy here, just 16 1/8" holes on either side. It doesn't offer much ventilation, but it's better than nothing! If I end up needing more, I'll probably just drill the holes bigger.

Step 4: Put the console back in the Jeep

*whew, it fits* and DON'T twss me. I also had to re-route my USB power cable, which fits very snugly right above the inverter. Getting the console out was a bit of a pain, but getting it back in with the inverter in there (and therefore 2 lb heavier) was really weird. You'd think 2 lb wouldn't affect how easy it is to maneuver inside the Heep, but it did...

Step 5: Route all the cables. eek!

the tan one's 120V power, the blue one's LEDs and black and white are the switch. There's also another black/white pair that are power to the inverter. They're hidden by my pants

Forgot to buy the sheet metal to make a nice little switch box right above the radio. The LEDs and switch will sit there when I've made that. For now, I just let them stick out above the radio.

Step 6: connect the power

Finally I tied the whole thing into my power block that I hid behind the dash. Sorry, fuzzy pic.

Coming in a future installment:
routing 120V power around the car (including installing outlets and power for a computer!), building the switch box and installing the switch. That'll probably happen next weekend, unless my boss decides to give me some time off.
Unread 08-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvreitz View Post
I thought about that too, but I ended up leaving the middle area because otherwise a chunk of radiator would have been sticking out, and for some reason, I'd rather have 3/32" of plastic between my radiator and an obstacle than to have a whole lotta air...
And now I'm thinking about it again, thanks to dmolaver15...we'll see...
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #19
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks like you know how to wire things up.. maybe you'll come in handy for some ideas of my external 300watt power converter. I like that vent Idea.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedPony View Post
I'm thinking about doing the bumper cut also but if I do, I may cut it all the way in half and not leave that middle part.
i cut my bumper all the way across.... looks pretty legit. i dont have pics up, but ill put some up soon.
Unread 08-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #21
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Looks like you know how to wire things up.. [...] I like that vent Idea.
Thanks....I sort of know how to wire things up. Other than that, I'm just OCD about where wires go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
i cut my bumper all the way across.... looks pretty legit. i dont have pics up, but ill put some up soon.
ok, 1) get some pics up. That's an order. 2) I'm still weighing my options, but I really like what dmolaver15 did, putting fog lites between the radiator support and the bumper. I also like gcjeeping's front receiver (especially because I wouldn't trust my crappy Fleet Farm tow hooks to pull anything significant). I gotta think about which one to do....decisions, decisions...

Last edited by JeepWJ; 07-18-2010 at 06:48 AM..
JeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #22
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

OK, worked on the 120v power a little more...first I tried to make a switch box that would sit on top of the radio.

...mmmm nice. looks like it should work....

...or not. generally it takes more than a hammer and a pair of pliers to bend sheet steel nicely. Back to the ol' drawing board....

So the switch box idea not having worked, I decided to put the switch next to the movable pedal switch.

That worked a lot better. And this:

Everyone loves an electrical outlet in a car. Makes it feel homey. If I sleep in there, I can bring a light and alarm clock and it'll be just like home

Still left to do: rewire the front outlet, wire up the rear outlet, remove wiring from the old setup. And then done.
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #23
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
ok, 1) get some pics up. That's an order. 2) I'm still weighing my options, but I really like what dmolaver15 did, putting fog lites between the radiator support and the bumper. I also like gcjeeping's front receiver (especially because I wouldn't trust my crappy Fleet Farm tow hooks to pull anything significant). I gotta think about which one to do....decisions, decisions...
idk how to post pics. but i put the picture of my bumper as my profile pic. you can check that out on my page
Unread 09-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
Madmike4790
2002 WJ 

You should paint the outlet black to match the interior
Madmike4790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #25
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

mtnmarc: yeah, that looks pretty cool...I actually did end up cutting my bumper, and then adding in some $15 fog lites. I'm gonna have to post pics when I get home.

madmike4790: I was thinking about black outlets, but I don't want the paint to chip, and the only real black outlets I found were 'designer' ones that cost like $20 a pop, and that's just ridiculous. So off-white it is...
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #26
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
mtnmarc: yeah, that looks pretty cool...I actually did end up cutting my bumper, and then adding in some $15 fog lites. I'm gonna have to post pics when I get home.
i want to see that!! haha. im looking at putting some hella lights next to my radiator support, for fog lights and rock lights. where did you mount the lights?
Unread 09-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #27
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

That's where The trick I used (although it doesn't really show up that well in the pic is to follow the indentation around the lower 'grill' part of the bumper, instead of just cutting it straight across. It makes it look a *little* more OEM that way.....

It's funny, I drove through town today, and there happened to be an event going on. I had a couple guys just stop on the sidewalk and stare at my heep as I drove (ok, crawled -- the traffic was bad) by. I get that every once in a while, but honestly, it doesn't happen much. A bit of an ego booster

Edit: If I save up enough money I might mount a pair of big circular driving lights in front of the grill...but I've been spending way too much right now, and I still need to save up for my Christmas present (tires, new TPMS'es and the little box dealie that fools your speedo into showing the correct speed when you have outsized tires)

Last edited by JeepWJ; 09-12-2009 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: another thought about lights
JeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #28
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

[QUOTE=cvreitz;7917545]It's funny, I drove through town today, and there happened to be an event going on. I had a couple guys just stop on the sidewalk and stare at my heep as I drove (ok, crawled -- the traffic was bad) by. I get that every once in a while, but honestly, it doesn't happen much. A bit of an ego booster QUOTE]

haha. i get that same look when i drive through town. there are 2 other wjs lifted in grass valley, another 4 inch and one 3.5 inch. but im the only one on 33s but that bumper looks sweet, its clean. thats whats best about lifting a wj, it looks clean and good! did you mount the fog lights in the little holes in front of the radiator?
Unread 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #29
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

yup. I was expecting to have to drill, but I found those holes and just stuck the lites there. The cool thing about the Jeep engineers is they thought of everything, even down to where modders might want to put auxiliary lights!
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #30
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
yup. I was expecting to have to drill, but I found those holes and just stuck the lites there. The cool thing about the Jeep engineers is they thought of everything, even down to where modders might want to put auxiliary lights!
haha. they were probably like.... since its already unibody, lets make it weaker by putting random hole in it. lol. i noticed there are random holes on the unibody when i was putting my rock lights in. great for NOTHING! lol. if you put rock lights in those holes they would be smashed on a speed bump. but i want to do something to my jeep, but idk what. any ideas? what are you doing with that metal piece on top of the dash?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.