JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #226
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
What model receiver is that? I've got the Infinity Gold system and the CD changer broke years ago. I'm thinking of tearing it out and replacing my factory radio. Do the steering controls work out of the box or did you have to do any modding?

Great looking rig BTW. I'm about to put on my 3" IRO lift this weekend and have tires waiting to be installed immediately thereafter.
It's a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994. I love it. I used a PAC SWI-JACK to get the controls working. I did have to cut a wire in the steering wheel, and the controls don't work 100% (they're a little sticky), but they're good enough.

I'd say programming the SWI-JACK was the hardest part of the install, and I ended up getting it just by getting lucky.

thanks on the compliment and good choice on the IRO; I LOVE mine!

Unread 03-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #227
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Alternator blew, and it turns out I had a dead cell in my battery too. So now I'm running a remanufactured (read that stock, but bling) alt, and a DieHard Platinum battery. So far, I love 'em.
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #228
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is the Diehard sealed?

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #229
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

AGM!

EDIT: What's more, it runs off tiger blood.
Unread 04-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #230
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Sorry, I've been kinda slacking on maintaining the build thread! I'm working on a washer bottle relocation, or rather, working on stopping the leak in it (pics when it's done). While I was doing that, I got annoyed at the size of my airbox, so I did this:

That's a Spectre cone filter into a 3" section of PVC (painted black), into the stock hose that used to run straight to the airbox. At some point, I'll be making a heat shield for it too, but I don't know when that'll happen.

EDIT: also notice the new battery and pretty alternator
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #231
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

right now it is a hot air intake

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #232
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
right now it is a hot air intake
That. If I have time/energy, I'll make a heat shield for it.
Unread 04-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #233
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Fabbed myself a new washer bottle. The usual way to do this is to go to a junkyard and grab a bottle from a ZJ and mount that up. Well, I didn’t have time / need to go to the junkyard. So I went to O’Reilly’s and picked up a coolant overflow bottle, and proceeded to mod it.
Step 1 (not pictured) was to run it under hot water for a minute, and bend a few offending corners out of the way, so the bottle could sit in the space I wanted it to (right in front of the brake master cylinder).
Step 2: drill holes, mount pumps and level indicator.

Step 3: figure out that it leaks like a sieve and RTV it to hell. This took me two weeks, partically from laziness, and partially because a total of about 6 coats of RTV went on one of the pumps before it finally stopped leaking.
Installed:

Last thing left to do is to switch the tubes that go to the two pumps. Right now my front wipers move while the rear window gets coated with goop. Whoops
Unread 04-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #234
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Just trying to keep things looking / working nicely. First, I decided to do my rear bumper and rock sliders in flat desert tan. The paint’s dirt cheap, and I can just keep hitting it with the rattle can if it rusts/dings/scratches, etc.

Next, a new cell phone holder:

Third, a place to plug an iPod into the stereo:

Eventually, I’d like to put another USB plug like it on the driver’s side, so you could charge the phone while driving. I’m also debating adding in another cradle on the passenger side for the iPod…Seems a little overkill, but I do like to have everything in its place….

I added a shade for the rear window, so when I sleep in the Jeep, I wouldn't have a skylight right above my head:

and rolled up:

EDIT: oh, I'm also planning a 231 swap.

Last edited by JeepWJ; 04-23-2011 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Adding stuff
JeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #235
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

and something else I'm thinking about...

They'd clear my garage door by 1" and my sunroof when it's open by 1/2".
Unread 04-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #236
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

I had a pretty close shave on Monday:

Notice anything off? The screw’s backing out:

I took it apart and loctited it, and it should be good now. But talk about a close call. I don’t want to know what’d happen if I sucked a 1/4-20 nut into my engine!
I’m also working on a first draft of a light bar. Take two is happening tonight:
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #237
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

So I got a ton of work done on the light bar tonight and I’m really happy with it (it even clears the garage by 1″). I wanted it to be removable. I attached a strip of aluminum to the factory roof rack’s front cross rail, and then drilled and bolted in the lights:

The back of the lights:

I wanted it removable, so I added in a power plug that just runs through my headliner up past the sunroof. Everything bolted up:

I’ll finish wiring everything up tomorrow night, and hopefully have it ready for my trip this weekend!
I know the pic looks like I just built my rig into the garage, but I didn’t. I tested it, and it DOES clear by one inch.
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #238
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Finished wiring up the light bar.I ran the wires for the lights under the driver side floorboard, and up to my favorite piece of plastic by the steering wheel, for a switch and relay:

And a closer shot of the wiring:

Sorry about the mess, but the black box with black wires coming out of it is a 15A fuse, and the other black box with a bunch of blue connectors is the relay. I grounded the system to a bolt that was right there, and I attached the relay with a panel screw that just happened to be there as well.

I tested/aimed the lights last night too. They aren’t as bright as I would have liked, but they ought to at least help. I may look into upgrading the bulbs. I may have to upgrade the wiring too. We’ll see…
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #239
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

My buddy just took that same style coolant reservoir out of his blazer. He was about to throw it away when I was reading this at work.

So I snagged it. I'm gunna try to make it work like yours. I steal your washer bottle idea and you steal my np231 idea!
Unread 04-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #240
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
I'm gunna try to make it work like yours. I steal your washer bottle idea and you steal my np231 idea!
1) buy about $70 worth of RTV. LOL, just kidding, but I did end up using most of a tube of it.

2) nothing is new. the whole idea behind creativity (which in some ways rig-building is) is to blatantly rip off other people's ideas, and then put them together in new ways. So no worries there

although, to be fair, i don't think washer bottle = 231. you better steal some more of my mods.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.