JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #151
myjeeplovesmud
2004 WJ 

i've been told by many that it works, but i've never done it myself.... so let me know how it goes

ZONE 4" Lift With 32" Duratracs
Hella Lighting - Rola Rack - KOR 3/4 Spacers
IRO Sliders - Rusty's Hooks - Cobra CB

MY BUILD THREAD
BAD TO THE BONE ZONE

November 2010 GCOTM
myjeeplovesmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #152
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

I still have yet to try the dry ice, but the hail damage yielded a small money tree which is kinda nice Also:

That's a SS relocation (and doesn't that tie-rod look kinda shiny??) Stepping away a bit:

OTK!!!!!
Unread 10-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #153
myjeeplovesmud
2004 WJ 

i think i saw you driving on 151 towards fitchburg thurday around 9am? maybe not?

MY BUILD THREAD
BAD TO THE BONE ZONE

November 2010 GCOTM
Unread 10-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #154
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

That SS "relocation kit" looks like garbage, it hangs down more than a stock one does and the bolts are freakishly long. Also, did you just flip the tie rod? I know you have to do some TRE work and sway bar end link work to make it "work" (said the w word too many times).
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #155
patrick983
2000 WJ 

dont the relocation kits usually place the SS between the trackbar and draglink? ive got one laying around somewhere i never installed from IRO i guess i could look and see
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #156
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

That bracket to relocate the SS goes on the track bar mount on the "frame" side. Well, that's where I had mine for like 1.5 years. Now I have it mounted to the sway bar endlink mount on the axle and the other side of the SS is attached to the drag link.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #157
myjeeplovesmud
2004 WJ 

the more i look at that, i agree, you have that installed wrong

MY BUILD THREAD
BAD TO THE BONE ZONE

November 2010 GCOTM
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #158
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeeplovesmud View Post
i think i saw you driving on 151 towards fitchburg thurday around 9am? maybe not?
I think probably not - Thu 9a, I was headed up to Poynette, so I would have probably been on 12, P, 160, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
That bracket to relocate the SS goes on the track bar mount on the "frame" side. Well, that's where I had mine for like 1.5 years. Now I have it mounted to the sway bar endlink mount on the axle and the other side of the SS is attached to the drag link.
Hm...interesting. I found IRO's SS relocator instructions really confusing (actually, the OTK tie rod instructions weren't that great either, though the product itself is awesome). I may have put the SS in the wrong place, but the tie rod instructions said to put the SS hanger on the tie rod, and I seem to have NO DW, despite some pretty heavy-duty misalignment (which I'll take care of tomorrow)

@MoonyJohn, yeah, it looks like it hangs down pretty far, but you have to remember that the tie rod is at least 2" higher up than it was before, so I think it's still ok. I would also rather it were a little higher up, and I might try to move it 180 degrees, so it doesn't stick out as far, but a) it appears to work, and b) despite the looks, it is higher up than it was before.

I guess the real question is, is there any one RIGHT place to put an SS? I've seen 'em so many different places, I figured whether the SS is 'correctly' installed is mainly an issue of whether you get DW and/or binding with your configuration...at any rate, if someone has pics and/or known good configurations, I'm all ears!
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #159
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

There is no real wrong place to put it. Just make sure one end is attached to a solid non-steering component while the other end is obviously attached to either the tie rod or drag link.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #160
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
You know you drive a built WJ when.........you take it to the shop, and they can't figure out how to do a front end alignment, even after you told them how.
Theducksguts dropped by and we finally got 'er aligned. I played around a little with where to put the SS. It will NOT fit on the drag link; with it there, I can't turn my wheels to the left at all. So I'm thinking it'll have to go on the tie rod, hopefully in a little higher-clearance configuration. For tomorrow, though, I'll be driving without an SS. I just tested it out, and no DW (but a damp driver's seat nonetheless) at 45...fortunately, I won't need to get over 45 to get to work!
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #161
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

I still have to attach it (tonight), but I think I figured out where the SS can go. If I put the U-shaped bracket on the same bolt as the stud for my right disco, I should be able to attach the other end of the SS to the drag link. It'll be WAAAY high out of the way there!

Let's just hope it works. We'll find out tonight!
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #162
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Finally got the SS tucked away safely. I REALLY like where it is. If you see any potential problems with it, please let me know, but I've had it out at 65 and it's rock solid. No bumpsteer whatever.

And from the other side:

Unread 10-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #163
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

So I had a little bit of stupid fun tonight.

That's $10 worth of Harbor Freight clearance lights! Like I said, stupid, but fun

They don't work yet. I just got them mounted. Running the wires will be a job for a different day.

I'm also working on a new project: a blog! It's here.
Unread 10-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #164
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you are staying busy. SS looks good. Much better than your first attempt. I'll say it again. The roof lights are an "interesting addition". Looks fine though.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #165
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Well, $10, for probably 3-4 hours' screwing around with the Jeep. I'd say that's a pretty good cost-to-install-time ratio!

I promise most of the rest of my mods will be more functional. I need some wheel spacers, and that steel bumper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.