JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball

Okie-dokey...just because if everyone else was jumping off a bridge, I would too, here's my build thread...nothing too fancy here.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
iPod adapter install
Window Regulator
Fire Extinguisher
Altezza Taillights
IRO 3" Lift / Doetsch Shocks
Cobra29 WX ST CB
Removeable seat mod.............................Post 1
Tenneco SS..........................................Post 9
Swaybar Tie-Downs...............................Post 12
Bumper Cut, Take 1...............................Post 13
Power Inverter Install.............................Post 17, Post 22
Bumper Cut, Take 2...............................Post 27
Hood Light...........................................Post 40
KM2 30" Tires.......................................Post 41
Wish List #1........................................Post 51
(Temporary) Heated Seat Fix..................Post 55
Red Map Lights....................................Post 60, Post 61
Rusty's Tow Hooks...............................Post 71
JCR Stage 2 Sliders..............................Post 79, Post 97, Post 105
Wish List #2.......................................Post 91
Busted Front Drive Shaft.......................Post 113
JKS Quicker Disconnects.......................Post 120
F.E. Relocate......................................Post 121
Hail Damage (or Money Tree).................Post 142
SS Relocation / OTK Tie Rod..................Post 152, Post 162
Cab Lights..........................................Post 163
Wheel Spacers....................................Post 171
ProtoFab Rear Bumper..........................Post 186, Post 187
Stereo (Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994)......Post 214
Washer Bottle Relocation......................Post 233
247-231 Swap....................................Post 254
WHEELING TRIPS:
Northwoods Overland 2010.05.09...........Post 74
Club property 2010.07.04.....................Post 106
Trollhaugen 2010.08.27........................Post 134
Pipeline 2010.10.12.............................Post 168
Club property 2010.12.05.....................Post 180
Northern WI 2011.01.15.......................Post 204
Badlands IN 2011.04.29.......................Post 246
First, a little about how I got my Heep...I wanted a JK Unlimited ever since they came out, but I couldn't afford one new, and there weren't any on the market used. My minivan died, so I started looking for a new car. The dealer was trying to get me to buy a Kia, but I was more interested in the Dub right next to it. It was an '03 Limited, and the only option it didn't have was the Nav radio, otherwise it was fully loaded. Single-owner, no crash history, and really good condition. HO V8.

I got it in summer '08, right when gas prices hit around $4 a gallon, so I got it for dirt cheap, too

Here's a picture of my dub, the first day I got it:

The beemer is some other tenant's. I lived there for six months, and that car never, ever moved. It was also about 2 feet deep in junk. I'm talking old books, McDonalds wrappers, tennis rackets, clothes, and the like.

First thing I did, was to install one of those tape-player iPod connector dealies, so that I could listen to my iPod while driving

I had tried an FM transmitter for about two days before I returned it. The tape dealie works ok, but if I were to redo it, I'd just get a whole new iPod-capable system.

I didn't do too much to my Heep for about half a year, until I paid it off. Meanwhile,

That was a two-mile trip, through 8" of fresh snow, with my basically stock WJ dragging its gas tank all the way. With the left driver's side window stuck open. My next project was to replace the window regulator with one that works. No biggie...just tear the door apart, and replace with a new regulator...the new one's not as powerful as stock though. Takes longer to roll up the window now.

Installed a fire extinguisher (I had it lying around and I didn't know what to do with it)

So here's my Heep, 'bearly' modified:

Now the fun begins. I smashed a taillight on a garbage can at -20 F, so I got some custom lights:

Now, the first big mod...a 3" IRO lift!!
before:

After!

I got a CB for my Heep:

I debadged it...

(I didn't take pics of this)

and had an extra power inverter lying around, so I permanently installed that:

I also permanently installed a USB phone charger:

I started getting a little (ok, fine, a lot of) death wobble, so I replaced the steering stablilzer with an IRO / Tenneco dual stabilizer kit (but I never stuck the second one in -- I'll probably just keep it for when the first one goes out.

(see post below---I'm only allowed 20 pix per post.)

I did theksmith's removable rear seat mod

and added in some eye bolts for holding some sway bar disconnects (future mod)

Finally, I did some minor bumper trimming, in preparation for a possible, more radical theksmith-style bumper trim.

I'm hedging on this. Here's a photoshop of what it'd look like if I ended up doing it:

Well, that's where my rig is at for now...here's what's on my wish list:
  • 31's. I'd probably go for some BFG MTs but I'm not sure. I've got about 1/16" of tread before I need to make that decision. ----- EDIT - Got 'em. KM2s.
  • Quick disconnects. I'd probably get the JKS'es from IRO, but I might get the other (cheaper) ones whose name escapes me right now. ----- EDIT - Got 'em. JKS'es.
  • Some way to mount a 31" spare. I really don't want to deal with this, but it might have to be a rear-mount, instead of a roof rack, because I've got a really low garage. As it is, I have to remove my CB antenna to get in. a roof rack plus a tire would mean forfeiting my garage space. ----- EDIT - Don't need this; it still fits in the tire well!
  • a carputer would be really cool, but WAAAAAAY out of my price range.
  • some real front tow hooks.I wouldn't trust mine. ----- EDIT - purchased.
And one more pic, just for good measure:

Well, that about covers it! Hope ya like it!

Last edited by JeepWJ; 04-23-2011 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: adding a table of contents
JeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
rjbaranello
2001 WJ 

Very nice rig ya got there. I had that iPod cassette connector, too. It worked pretty well for a $12 item, and it lasted me for over a year, but I finally upgraded to a new Kenwood receiver and haven't looked back since! Can't wait to see the new tires, keep it comin!
Unread 07-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

well my dream (I'm a radio guy and kind of an audio/computer nerd) would be to put a carputer under the left rear seat, with a 8" touch screen up front, and a multi-input sound card in there somewhere. That way, I could plug the CB, my phone, an AM/FM tuner, GPS, CD player, and iPod in, and run an audio mixer program to be able to mix between all of them, right on the screen. Problem is, what I described would set me back waaaaaay more than I can afford right now, probably around $1000 if I use an old laptop carcass that I've got lying around. If I want to do it right, it'd cost several thou.
Unread 07-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
gmp211
2002 WJ 

That permanently installed stuff is really sick. I want to put an inverter in my cargo space.

Nice project though!
Unread 07-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvreitz View Post
well my dream (I'm a radio guy and kind of an audio/computer nerd) would be to put a carputer under the left rear seat, with a 8" touch screen up front, and a multi-input sound card in there somewhere. That way, I could plug the CB, my phone, an AM/FM tuner, GPS, CD player, and iPod in, and run an audio mixer program to be able to mix between all of them, right on the screen. Problem is, what I described would set me back waaaaaay more than I can afford right now, probably around $1000 if I use an old laptop carcass that I've got lying around. If I want to do it right, it'd cost several thou.
Yep With a Car puter No Stupid GPS locks and stuff you can watch movies do anything u want.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
g-off70
2000 WJ 

what is the theksmith's removable rear seat mod?i have never heard of this before.
g-off70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-off70 View Post
what is the theksmith's removable rear seat mod?i have never heard of this before.
you know how when u flip your rear seats down and u got stopped by the butt portion of the seat?

Well basicly u drill out the holes in the bracket for the bottom part of the seat and put quick disconnect pins in them so when u wanna remove them just pull teh pin and bam instant more rear space.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Here's another one...just some behind-the-dash wiring...
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

and here's what I did with my Tenneco SS... I installed the bracket for moving the SS up / running dual SS's, but I never ended up needing dual ones, and I didn't have time to pull out the one I had, and put it back higher up. If I bust it, I'll do it. Otherwise, it's going to stay as is.

Unread 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-off70 View Post
I posted a pic...hope that helps. Otherwise search theksmith's expedition rig. That thing is amazing.
Unread 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
DerangedPony
2004 WJ 

Nice truck, your user name reminds me of Crivitz for some reason. lol
DerangedPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

just a quick picture of the finished disco holders. I just used 1/16" stainless cable with a screw-type carabiner.

Unread 07-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Well, I finally got up the guts to hack up my bumper.

I think it looks ok, but it'll look better when I paint the radiator support and the bit of frame that sticks out black.

And, while I'm at it, just a wheeling pic.

Unread 07-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
DerangedPony
2004 WJ 

I'm thinking about doing the bumper cut also but if I do, I may cut it all the way in half and not leave that middle part.
DerangedPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
n8man1068
2003 WJ 

Looks really sharp. My IRO 3" will be here Thursday. Now I'm saving up for wheels+tires.
Do you have any pictures of the permanent power converter install? That's really interesting.
n8man1068 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.