Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

JeepWJ's 03 WJ Ltd Build Thread - Project Golfball

61K views 331 replies 43 participants last post by  Redneck1996 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE: many images are expired. I may have some somewhere. If you need to see one, PM me and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Okie-dokey...just because if everyone else was jumping off a bridge, I would too, here's my build thread...nothing too fancy here.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
iPod adapter install
Window Regulator
Fire Extinguisher
Altezza Taillights
IRO 3" Lift / Doetsch Shocks
Cobra29 WX ST CB
Removeable seat mod.............................Post 1
Tenneco SS..........................................Post 9
Swaybar Tie-Downs...............................Post 12
Bumper Cut, Take 1...............................Post 13
Power Inverter Install.............................Post 17, Post 22
Bumper Cut, Take 2...............................Post 27
Hood Light...........................................Post 40
KM2 30" Tires.......................................Post 41
Wish List #1........................................Post 51
(Temporary) Heated Seat Fix..................Post 55
Red Map Lights....................................Post 60, Post 61
Rusty's Tow Hooks...............................Post 71
JCR Stage 2 Sliders..............................Post 79, Post 97, Post 105
Wish List #2.......................................Post 91
Busted Front Drive Shaft.......................Post 113
JKS Quicker Disconnects.......................Post 120
F.E. Relocate......................................Post 121
Hail Damage (or Money Tree).................Post 142
SS Relocation / OTK Tie Rod..................Post 152, Post 162
Cab Lights..........................................Post 163
Wheel Spacers....................................Post 171
ProtoFab Rear Bumper..........................Post 186, Post 187
Stereo (Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994)......Post 214
Washer Bottle Relocation......................Post 233
247-231 Swap....................................Post 254
JeepWJ rises from the dead...................Post 325
WHEELING TRIPS:
Northwoods Overland 2010.05.09...........Post 74
Club property 2010.07.04.....................Post 106
Trollhaugen 2010.08.27........................Post 134
Pipeline 2010.10.12.............................Post 168
Club property 2010.12.05.....................Post 180
Northern WI 2011.01.15.......................Post 204
Badlands IN 2011.04.29.......................Post 246
First, a little about how I got my Heep...I wanted a JK Unlimited ever since they came out, but I couldn't afford one new, and there weren't any on the market used. My minivan died, so I started looking for a new car. The dealer was trying to get me to buy a Kia, but I was more interested in the Dub right next to it. It was an '03 Limited, and the only option it didn't have was the Nav radio, otherwise it was fully loaded. Single-owner, no crash history, and really good condition. HO V8.

I got it in summer '08, right when gas prices hit around $4 a gallon, so I got it for dirt cheap, too :)

Here's a picture of my dub, the first day I got it:

The beemer is some other tenant's. I lived there for six months, and that car never, ever moved. It was also about 2 feet deep in junk. I'm talking old books, McDonalds wrappers, tennis rackets, clothes, and the like.

First thing I did, was to install one of those tape-player iPod connector dealies, so that I could listen to my iPod while driving

I had tried an FM transmitter for about two days before I returned it. The tape dealie works ok, but if I were to redo it, I'd just get a whole new iPod-capable system.

I didn't do too much to my Heep for about half a year, until I paid it off. Meanwhile,

That was a two-mile trip, through 8" of fresh snow, with my basically stock WJ dragging its gas tank all the way. With the left driver's side window stuck open. My next project was to replace the window regulator with one that works. No biggie...just tear the door apart, and replace with a new regulator...the new one's not as powerful as stock though. Takes longer to roll up the window now.

Installed a fire extinguisher (I had it lying around and I didn't know what to do with it)

So here's my Heep, 'bearly' modified:

Now the fun begins. I smashed a taillight on a garbage can at -20 F, so I got some custom lights:

Now, the first big mod...a 3" IRO lift!!
before:

After!

I got a CB for my Heep:

I debadged it...

(I didn't take pics of this)

and had an extra power inverter lying around, so I permanently installed that:

I also permanently installed a USB phone charger:

I started getting a little (ok, fine, a lot of) death wobble, so I replaced the steering stablilzer with an IRO / Tenneco dual stabilizer kit (but I never stuck the second one in -- I'll probably just keep it for when the first one goes out.

(see post below---I'm only allowed 20 pix per post.)

I did theksmith's removable rear seat mod

and added in some eye bolts for holding some sway bar disconnects (future mod)

Finally, I did some minor bumper trimming, in preparation for a possible, more radical theksmith-style bumper trim.

I'm hedging on this. Here's a photoshop of what it'd look like if I ended up doing it:

Well, that's where my rig is at for now...here's what's on my wish list:
  • 31's. I'd probably go for some BFG MTs but I'm not sure. I've got about 1/16" of tread before I need to make that decision. ----- EDIT - Got 'em. KM2s.
  • Quick disconnects. I'd probably get the JKS'es from IRO, but I might get the other (cheaper) ones whose name escapes me right now. ----- EDIT - Got 'em. JKS'es.
  • Some way to mount a 31" spare. I really don't want to deal with this, but it might have to be a rear-mount, instead of a roof rack, because I've got a really low garage. As it is, I have to remove my CB antenna to get in. a roof rack plus a tire would mean forfeiting my garage space. ----- EDIT - Don't need this; it still fits in the tire well!
  • a carputer would be really cool, but WAAAAAAY out of my price range.
  • some real front tow hooks.I wouldn't trust mine. ----- EDIT - purchased.
And one more pic, just for good measure:

Well, that about covers it! Hope ya like it!

See less See more
#163 · (Edited)
So I had a little bit of stupid fun tonight.

That's $10 worth of Harbor Freight clearance lights! Like I said, stupid, but fun :)

They don't work yet. I just got them mounted. Running the wires will be a job for a different day.

I'm also working on a new project: a blog! It's (EDIT: defunct link).

#165 ·
Well, $10, for probably 3-4 hours' screwing around with the Jeep. I'd say that's a pretty good cost-to-install-time ratio! :D

I promise most of the rest of my mods will be more functional. I need some wheel spacers, and that steel bumper.

#167 ·
Sure, when I get them working. Right now, they're attached, but not wired in. I've got a weekend full of work and wheeling coming up, so I'm guessing I won't have everything wired up until next week sometime......but when I've got it, I'll definitely post pics!

#168 ·
Went out wheeling with some friends. Sorry, not too many wheeling pics; I'm sure someone else took pictures, but I haven't seen 'em yet.

My tie rod got twisted down out of my driveway (we fixed it before going too far), I got stuck in mud once (A Samurai got through it :dunno: ), and crawled some rocks. Good times.

#171 · (Edited)
Got some of these:

because I was rubbing, even in some places I didn't know! In the pic, I hadn't torqued the spacer down yet. I'm not dumb enough not to torque my wheel nuts down ;)

EDIT: ended up buying different (16") wheels that don't need spacers

#175 ·
Vehicles for GARMIN nuvi

click on SUVs, then scroll to the right twice, 3rd from the end!!!

perfect for ya..... i thought of you right away when i saw it

#180 · (Edited)
was supposed to go wheeling at the Badlands this weekend, but the weather nixed that idea. So the club decided to do a little snow run:

The guy in the stock TJ decided to make love to a tree a little later on. Ow.

:rofl:

NINJA EDIT: I'm also waiting very patiently for a Christmas present :)

#181 ·
#183 · (Edited)
in that case, I need to save even more money for a taller garage. Read the build plan :rtft: :D

And from your profile ("Unibody fixation"), I see you should stop telling people to buy LAs, and buy YOURSELF a WJ :D :D :D

#188 ·
running into some pretty major fitment issues - I can't get the bumper on with the gas tank skid. I can get one or the other, but not both. I'm suspecting I may have to come up with something like a custom skid. More to come, but this is turning into a BIG pain.

#193 · (Edited)
That's something I'm contemplating. The thing is, the integrated skid on the bumper would have to be re-welded at a different angle, so I wouldn't hang up on it all the time. I wanted to have this bumper on two days ago, and it's still not on yet, so, depending on whether I can get my hands on a welder, it'll either get modded with the tank lift, or not. I dunno. I'll keep y'all posted.

EDIT: ended up doing it

#194 ·
OK, bunch of stuff going on:
  • got the bumper on
  • getting a large evap leak (and small evap leak) code. I'm gonna have to relocate the evap canister, probably like ksmith did.
  • waiting on a new CB
  • still need to work on bumper fitment a little
  • I wanna lift the tank but I need to find someone with a welder, so I can do it.
  • working on some rock lights.
  • I need to do some regular maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.