Jeep WJ w/2.9 Benzo e gine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Jeep WJ w/2.9 Benzo e gine

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAwesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 01-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4862275651.html

Could this be an aftermarket set up?

PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

It's definitely a custom job. But it's a salvage title and there is no way in hell that is a legal swap in California. Good luck getting that thing to be legal on the street. Really cool though, especially seeing the shifter in the console. Looks like it belongs there.
BoostCreepLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Music4YourSoul
2005 WK 

That's pretty cool actually ha.
Music4YourSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

That is a super clean manual trans swap, I like it. However the add mentions 'push button' 4WD, so I have to wonder what t-case they have in there? It also doesn't show any photos of that feature.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
That is a super clean manual trans swap, I like it. However the add mentions 'push button' 4WD, so I have to wonder what t-case they have in there? It also doesn't show any photos of that feature.
True.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostCreepLA View Post
It's definitely a custom job. But it's a salvage title and there is no way in hell that is a legal swap in California. Good luck getting that thing to be legal on the street. Really cool though, especially seeing the shifter in the console. Looks like it belongs there.
As long as the engine is the same year or newer than the Jeep and any emissions system that the 2.9 uses is present and the engine was in a vehicle with the same weight class as the jeep AND it was inspected by a referee then it's a legal swap.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
As long as the engine is the same year or newer than the Jeep and any emissions system that the 2.9 uses is present and the engine was in a vehicle with the same weight class as the jeep AND it was inspected by a referee then it's a legal swap.
There are definitely some gray areas.

BAR's website for engine swaps in CA:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Engin...uidelines.html

The biggest problem, unless this Jeep was originally a federal 49 state car:

"A federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified (federal or 49–state) engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally certified for California."

Best case scenario is that this is a 49 state Jeep and the engine was swapped from a 2001-2002 Mercedes Sprinter that was also a 49 state US spec car. If this Jeep was originally from California it'd have to have the engine from CA only, and not from Europe.

It looks like the Merc 2.9 5 cylinder is the MO602 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM602_engine), which from what I can tell was never offered in the US. Even if it was, it was made from 1985-2002. I guess this engine with 500 original miles is NOS? And no pictures of it? Seems odd.

The WJ came with the OM647 2.7L in Europe, and the Sprinter came with a 2.7L engine here in the states. Maybe he's really using this engine which would make WAY more sense.

More rules from BAR:
"Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy–duty engine cannot be installed in a light–duty exhaust–controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement."

Even if he did source the 2.7 from a Sprinter, this rule will cause problems since it's unlikely that the Sprinter and GC are the same class. Chances are the 2.7 diesel is higher duty, but you never know.

"Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine–chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed."

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just a ton of hoops to jump though which might be why this car is for sale now. It'd be strange to put this much work into a Jeep just to sell it with only 500 miles on a brand new engine. Stranger things have happened though.

I have a friend who installed an LS3 in his RX-7 and it cost him many thousands of dollars to get it to pass visual smog inspection. He had to have the catalytic converters exactly the same distance apart as they were in the Corvette the engine came out of, as well as the same length of hose from the charcoal canister, EVAP purge, etc. And that is putting a CA spec e-rod engine into a 49 state federal rotary powered car that barely passed CA smog when it was brand new. I wouldn't even want to think about what's required to install an engine from a different country. BAR is hardcore with what they allow on the roads in CA.

However, if the engine is really a 2.7 out of a CA spec Sprinter and it's the same engine as the 2.7 in the Euro WJ then this all starts to make more sense.

In fact now I'm thinking I should look up prices of the 2.7 to swap into my WJ when my 4.7 eventually kicks the bucket.
BoostCreepLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

He doesn't mention it being smog legal but who builds an off road only toy with rough country parts.

He could have done the swap since it's last smog check, the next one will be the pita.

But where there's a will there's a way

I'm in tustin a couple times a month, I should test drive it
Unread 02-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Wasn't a diesel wj offered in foreign markets?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.