Jeep WJ build – Road to SOT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Jeep WJ build – Road to SOT

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 12-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
PolarWolf

Jeep WJ build – Road to SOT

This past spring I bought myself a Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ. It's an '04 Overland with the 4.7HO engine in it. I never owned a V8 and it's awesome! The reason I bought it is because I needed a proper rig to tow my trailer with a '79 CJ7 to the trails. It was pretty much a standard model when I got it, with a relatively low 80k'ish mileage. For a 10 year old car, that's not much. But then again, you don't want to drive that beast here much anyway given the price of petrol.

So the WJ spent it's life in my posession as daily driver, commuting the 12km drive to work, shopping runs to the gunstore and occasionally tugging my CJ to some trails. The stuff I initially did to the WJ was pretty basic:
- GROM BT3 Bluetooth module for the RB1 unit...I need my Spotify tunes.
- New K&N airfilter
- Installed a cabin air filter
- Heavy duty rubber floor mats front and back (with Jeep logo, whoo!)

One thing I always noticed was that the WJ tends to sway in the corners. I come from an Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS Selespeed, so I'm used to much more direct handling.

I went from this: to this: . It's somewhat of a difference.

Of course comparing a 2 tonne WJ to a nimble not-quite sportscar isn't fair, but I felt it could be improved upon. I read a lot, and I soon discovered that the cure for the boatlike behaviour is a new heavier duty swaybar.

So I contacted our good friend Kolak and he fixed me up with some stuff:
- Addco front and rear swabars
- Spring isolators
- Superchips Traildash (doesn't help handling, but I want to see what it does)

While that order was underway, I installed a CB radio, and soon after everything arrived I installed the swaybars and the traildash. The spring isolators are still waiting to be installed.

Here I was, with a decent WJ I can use for what I needed. But apparently needs change from this:

...to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3drMzq4gavE

Sweden Offroad Tour – SOT

Early this year I found out about the Sweden Offroad Tour. To those unfamiliar with it (pretty much everyone, I guess), it's a road trip through Sweden, hitting about 17 offroad locations underway. It's like our own Ultimate Adventure. I spend a lot of time in Sweden. I love the country and I always wondered what it would be like exploring it offroad. Too bad general offroading on public lands isn't allowed there either so the next best thing is offroad parks. And this tour visits most of them.

When I read about it, I wanted to join for the 2014 edition. With my CJ7. Now, because of various reasons (most of it because the CJ wasn't ready to drive) I had to skip 2014, but I have my sights set on 2015. I pretty much decided I don't want to spend two and a half weeks living out of a CJ7, which is not the most reliable vehicle to begin with. So my choices were:

Take the CJ7 – Nope. It's not reliable enough (though a decent enough offroader) and too cramped to go camping in.
Trailer the CJ with the WJ – That's expensive in multiple ways, not to mention slow.
Buy a wagon like offroader – I don't have room for more vehicles, and I really don't want to tax and insure another heavy rig. Besides, who says I can find an offroad ready rig in time which is reliable for a reasonable price

And then I took a good look at the WJ. Hm...it looks like a soccer mom's mobile now, but it can be made into a somewhat capable offroader:
It has the V8
It has a Dana 44, albeit an aluminium one
It has the factory skid package and rock sliders (for what it's worth)
It has the vari-lok diffs. Not as good as selectable lockers, but better than open diffs.

It was decided that the WJ was the rig to take to Sweden Offroad Tour 2015, and that decision has been strengthed after reading about offroading a WJ and watching a load of videos of a WJ doing some stuff I'll be too chicken to try anyway.

I came up with a shopping list: I've a couple of 33” Maxxis Buckshot I can use, so I opted to go all out with a 6.5” lift. It has to be bolt on so I selected the IRO Premium kit. I contacted Kolak again, see what he could do.

I guess pretty much everyone already knows that Nick can give some pretty good advice and we started bouncing off options and ideas back and forth. In the end we settled on an adjustable 4” Critical Path lift with a load of other goodies:
- Bilstein shocks
- IRO OTK tie rod kit
- IRO Tranny skidplate
- IRO HD crossmember
- IRO Steering Equalizer
- MOOG steering damper
- BTF Kryptonite Diff covers for the D30 and D44a
Nick quoted me a price and I pulled the trigger.

I also want to protect the underside of the diffs. Since I can't find anything I can buy, I guess I'll be fabbing up some skidplates myself based on some examples I found. I can bake metal together if needed. It won't be pretty but it'll do the job.

Instead of the 33x12.50R15 I intended (15” likely won't fit the WJ anyway) I'll be rocking 32”. It'll be a relatively narrow 235/85R16. I picked up a set of 16” rims for cheap ($110) yesterday, which I'll either be painting or powdercoating. Probably matte black. My 17” are in pristine condition and I'd like to keep it that way. Also, 16" gives me 1/2" more sidewall. Why the pizza cutters? A couple of reasons. I've read about a lot of pros and cons of using narrow tires offroad. The general consensus seems to be that unless a lot of flotation is needed, narrow tires will perform mostly well on most surfaces if they're aired up and down properly for the surface. Combined with less weight, better handling and less stress on the steering components, there's little reason why narrower tires won't bring me where I need to go. Besides, they're a lot cheaper to buy, too The candidates: BFG AT2, Cooper STT or Hankook MT RT03. I'll probably go with the Hankooks. It's a lot of tire for the money and they get quite good reviews.

Anyway, a few days after I pulled the trigger on the IRO order, I decided to do a driveshaft swap. My WJ has the Rezeppa style driveshaft in the front, which according to IRO should be good up to 4”. But I don't want to risk breaking anything in the drivetrain 1000 miles away from home if I could've prevented it beforehand. I'm out to wheel, not to wrench. Emailed Nick again, and an IRO conversion is underway too. I'll be disappointed if I don't get a free sticker out of all this

So this is where I'm at now. I just placed the biggest import order I've ever made (about $3k, and that's without local import tax and VAT) with someone I only dealt with once before, to build up my daily driver Jeep WJ to go offroading on a level I might not be ready for yet.

I guess it's a Jeep thing.

While I'm waiting for my stuff to arrive I'm considering if I need a winchbumper and whether or not I should buy or build a roof rack. There's an outfit in Poland which sells both a bumper and a roof rack for not too much money. I know an ARB bumper is the cat's meow, but what I need to spend on only the ARB bumper will pay for both bumper and roofrack from CoverXtreme with leftover for gas or an additional skid plate. But that's for after the next paycheck comes in (or the one after that).

A big thanks goes out to Nick from Kolak Perfomance and Offroad for hooking me up with some decent deals and the advice! If you need anything from anywhere, give Nick a shout. He'll make it happen. Also a big thanks for everyone writing their stuff in the WJ and general section of this forum. It's an inspiration.

I'll keep this thread updated as my soccer mom WJ gets built into a rig with some balls.

PolarWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
MoonyJohn
Blow on my Avatar

2004 WJ 

Wow, sounds like you got it all figured out. Thats they way I would do it again would be save up all the money and buy it all at once. I ran the IRO lift for a long time and never had issues with it, youll be more than pleased with the long arm performance.

Post it all up when you do it! Well all be watching
Unread 12-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
offroading.net

2000 WJ 

SOT looks good, keep meaning to get over there to visit a friend in Malmo, maybe this year!

1999 4litre WG Limited, 4"f-4.5"r IRO springs, IRO front long arms, IRO adjustable rear a-arm & LCAs, IRO adjustable RHD trackbar, XJ 242 transfer case, 3.91 Diesel Quadradrive axles, 235-85-16 Grabber AT2's Build thread

2003 2.8CRD KJ Limited

Previous Jeeps - 8 XJs, an MJ, a WJ, a TJ & a KJ

steve@offroading.net
www.offroading.net
www.rcmodelflying.com
www.oldchadscider.co.uk
offroading.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
PolarWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroading.net View Post
SOT looks good, keep meaning to get over there to visit a friend in Malmo, maybe this year!
I say do it! Maybe in 2016 an UKOT then?

I watched a couple of greenlaning videos from your neck of the woods, and that looks like a load of fun too. I might need to visit the UK again soon to have a go at that! Maybe a long weekend in the spring to test out the new and improved WJ...
Unread 12-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
offroading.net

2000 WJ 

Need to do a weekend on salisbury plain in the spring. Is a ferry to Hull or drive down to Holland then ferry the quickest route over?

1999 4litre WG Limited, 4"f-4.5"r IRO springs, IRO front long arms, IRO adjustable rear a-arm & LCAs, IRO adjustable RHD trackbar, XJ 242 transfer case, 3.91 Diesel Quadradrive axles, 235-85-16 Grabber AT2's Build thread

2003 2.8CRD KJ Limited

Previous Jeeps - 8 XJs, an MJ, a WJ, a TJ & a KJ

steve@offroading.net
www.offroading.net
www.rcmodelflying.com
www.oldchadscider.co.uk
offroading.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
PolarWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroading.net View Post
Need to do a weekend on salisbury plain in the spring. Is a ferry to Hull or drive down to Holland then ferry the quickest route over?
For me to the south of the UK? The only ferry route that makes sense is Hoek van Holland to Harwich. I've done it a couple of times before (not offroad related), it's no biggie, just tedious. But at least the boat has wifi.

We'll see how it goes. I haven't been to the UK in a couple of years, I miss dining at Beefeater's
Unread 01-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
PolarWolf

The postman brought goodies today. The first shipment from the USA, courtisy of Kolak Offroad & Performance. Its contents:

- Four Bilstein shocks
- JKS disconnects
- Moog replacement HD steering stabilizer
- Blue Torch Fab diff covers for the D30 and D44a

Awesome! Too bad it gets to sit in the garage waiting for the IRO stuff to arrive :/
wp_20150130_003.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
veiri86
2003 WJ 

I had gone almost the same route and with Kolak as well. The best advice and advantage buying from Kolak was the Bilstien shocks where he sent me the right shocks length. I had seen many lifted Jeeps with either short or too long shocks. I my case I gut the right shocks with the right length for my both WJ's. For winches, I suggest you to have a look at the Engo winches, i have the 10,000 lb and it is excellent. It has very good reviews besides a pocket friendly price.

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
PolarWolf

I've been gathering components since last november The IRO rear kit arrived (adjustable arms and the A arm) together with the new double cardan drive shaft. Diff covers got powdercoat on it them as well. Today, I picked up the coated wheels with the new tires. I opted for Cooper ST Maxx (somewhere between AT and MT) in 285/85R16. I'm waiting for the front IRO Critical Path kit, springs, and the underside armor. Nick tells me it'll be shipped soonish.

I send an email to Poland for a roof rack, see if they're willing to ship one over for me. I need it because the spare won't fin in the factory location

I'll likely do a brake job too while I'm working on things. New rotors (EBC or Black Diamond) and pads (Hawk LTS), maybe some new brakelines too if I feel like bleeding.

Things are starting to come together, albeit slowly.
wp_20150418_003.jpg   wp_20150418_002.jpg  
Unread 04-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
PolarWolf

FedEx dropped by with more IRO stuff:
- IRO OTK tie rod kit
- IRO Tranny skidplate
- IRO HD crossmember
- IRO Steering Equalizer

All I need now is the Critical Path 4" LA kit and I'm good to go!
wp_20150420_002.jpg  
Unread 04-25-2015, 10:01 AM   #11
PolarWolf

Ordered a set of rotors and pads today. I selected Black Diamond (KBD1115 (front) and KBD1116 (rear)). The pads I picked are Hawk LTS. Hope I didn't go wrong with this stuff, but hey...whichever combination is likely better than what's on there now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.