Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep in Norway 2th buildt Overland upgrade

128K views 822 replies 65 participants last post by  Thomahawk 
#1 ·
Continue from http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-1193503/index92.html

Ok guys, i finaly found a new WJ project candidate, after my precious Green one was totaled 3 months ago. Plan is to Get it back to the point i got with my green one, as i was very sattiesfied with it.
I still have all the goodies from my last rig, so its just about the time and effort to Get it there.

New Jeep 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7HO :)
Quadradrive
175k km/108k miles
Full service History
No rust Undercoated/rust protected
No bumbs or previous body/paint repairs

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Booked some tickets and made a flight to Stavanger, seller sent me all pics and info i asked for, so it was a chance to take, but deff worth it by the pics and info provided.

It sure got some issues, and was not close to perfect as seller promissed.
-throwing 2 obd codes, knock sensor and oil pressure sensor,
-It has a hissing/air blowing sound, that i suspect coming from exhaust or AC,
-2 climate codes,
-Some rocker guard rust, which goes off anyway cause of the uglynees, its been rust protected/undercoated some years ago, undercarriage still look Black and Nice.
-Some scratches in paint.

After i pointed out the issues for them, they asked me how much i was willing to offer and i threw them a lowball which they axcepted, guess we will see if i did a steal of a deal when i Get all issues and quirks sorted out and Get to check everything in depth.

Previous repairs, Most wear parts changed, seems well kept.
Brakes, rotors pads and brake hoses,
Both front springs,
Balljoints,
Wheel bearings rear,
Swaybar endlinks rear,
Pinion seal,
Rear Window wiper motor,
Steering drag endlinks,
Hood struts,
Reciepts for all services and repairs,
Good summer and Winter wheels'n tires

Attachments

#3 ·
Jeep ran tight and smooth, engine felt strong and trans very tight, all the 550km/341miles back home to Oslo from west coast Norway :)
Feels like a great deal, deff stronger than the 4.7 low Output, feels Good to be back in s WJ.

Will start to look into issues, Get it checked out, repair whatever needed and do all maintainance and fluids.

Then i will start focus on upgrades and lift and tires, stay tuned

Attachments

#5 ·
^^^RIP hope you will find a better one, like me, be patiance man, Good luck :)

#6 ·
New day, new Jeep, new opportunities ;)
Quick wash after roadtrip yesterday
Toped off coolant (missing some), and Transmission fluid (0.1-0.2qt),
And threw in my old rugged ridge floor liners.
Filled her up and added a bottle STP injection cleaner, enjoyed the day cruis'n it :)

Attachments

#11 ·
^^^Thx everyone :) Spent some more time with it to get familiar with it and investigating problems,,,

-Recked Transmission fluid level, hard to read dipstick right after filling into dipstick tube, level at low/cold mark so i added another 0.15qt, took it for a short ride, rechecked again, now level in the middle between lo/cold and hi/hot mark, will add about 0.1 more qt more tomorow, then it should be spot on.

-Re toped off coolant, and found where its going, looks like radiator is cracked at the top :(
can see some coolant Get thrown with fan up into the hood, found it croocked at the bottom, looks like it got a smaller hit in this area, no marks at bumber, this might also be related to the hissing sound, AC leak,,,?
Only lost about 1qt coolant fluid for all those miles, but wil be fixed asap.

-Engine oil look same, level same as before all this driving :)

-Checked AZ codes, 54 and 56, tried to clear them, checked again, 00!!! Looks like they where old codes, and now they Are gone :)

-Checked Power Steering fluid, spot on perfect.

-Checked brake fluid, level good, condition looked ok, will be changed anyway, safty first.

Attachments

#12 ·
3" Kolak exhaust with Flowmaster70, 4X O2 sensors, and Superchip tuner ordered, thx Kolak :)

Will pull like a crazy horse when i Get this upgrades done, its already wild, noticeble stronger than the 4.7l ow Output

Higher lift on cams i like ;)

#14 ·
offroading.net said:
whats the gains on a HO with a superchip?
No quite sure, but better gearshifts and tiresize calibration Are worth it with 31's, and it did make a noticeble difference on performance Tune with my old low output. Eco fuel save MAP felt slugish and was about same mpg as stock.

#16 ·
Fiori1010 said:
Did the HO's come with a bigger exhaust system vs the non ho? If not will the 3" exhaust affect the back pressure being the motor its self is stock? And congrats on the new Jeep looks real clean i really like the interior combo!
I am not 100% sure but i believe they both got the same 2.5" exhaust system, my old lo put did breathe much better when exhaust was opened up.

Thx, i really enjoy it myself, its a very Nice Jeep once i got issues sorted out, rides like a dream, pull like a wild horse :)

Edit: special HO spark plugs, WIX Transmission filter kit, and WIX fuel filter ordered for upcoming Tune up/service, also got a 12 pack Mopar ATF+4 for cheap on ebay.
Engine oil and filter, diff and transfer fluid i got in my Garage :)

#17 ·
My bet is the AZ codes come back. I cleared mine and they went away only to come back in a day or two. Sounds like you may have the same thing I have going on. A "hissing" sound coming from the dash? Mine almost sounds like a slight ping but it isn't. Can't hear it at all with the window down. Seems to happen when the AZ is changing zones. I think it's the sound of the shaft spinning in the blend door for my driver's side. Pretty easy for me to know it isn't working because it's blowing cold air on me when the rest of the vents are blowing hot and it's cold outside. I also have a recirculation door failure too. I have the parts to fix it now it's just a matter of finding the time to rip the dash apart to replace the parts.

#19 ·
More check ups and things done to the new Jeep today ;)

-Disconected battery, rechecked codes, knock sensor and oil pressure sensor codes Are gone!!! ODO shows done ;) Guess no need for new sensors, most likely historic codes that never have been cleared out :)

-Bought oil and Mighty TB clean

-Ordered a new radiator, found that its leaking at the top, idk why, but seems like its the main reason why it looses coolant, only leaks when i top off expansion tank to full, then it drops down a qt or so, and then stay there.

-Recheck Transmission fluid level, added about 0.15 more qts, up to total adding of 0.5-0.6 qts now, but now its spot on hot mark ;)

-Checked AC codes again, 51, 54, 55 are back :( 51 = AI (Recirc) door travel range too small
54 = Left temperature door travel too large
55 = Right temperature door travel too small

-Engine oil and filter change,
Valvoline 5W-30 MST Synpower and WIX filter,,, Minor "lifter tick" like sound when cold started it up this morning, went away half way up to operating temp, It was cold though, -6C~21F, hopefully oil change will cure it, shouldnt be like that, been looking threw reciepts, but idk for sure what oil/weight that was put in there, so i put my favourite honey into the precious HO engine, and hope for the best :)

-Lubricated door locks and door seals to prevent doors and locks to freeze up,

-Found possible cause of air blowing/hissing sound (like tire air pressure release), exhaust muffler inlet leaks and rear end sure have a puncture blowing out the side, lucky i got a full 3" Kolak exhaust on its Way.

Attachments

#20 ·
Couldnt hold my horses, so i ordered some Nice blacked out LED tail light and LED 3rd brake lights which will lighten up my *** and hopefully keep other stupid driver away from my Jeep. Will look very Nice Black on Black, the only thing i didnt liked with my last one, was the clear glass which made it possible to see reflector/chrome when light was off, so it will an upgrade :)

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Rectangle Font

I am not 100% sure what i am going to do with the headlights, if i should go for projector headlights, or just stay with the factory one, we will see,,,

Have to modify grill, mesh insert most likely, thinking about putting 3M Carbon fiber Vinyl on all the chrome exterior trim pieces, grill, bumber, door/side trim piece, hmmmm

#23 ·
No my last one the 4.7 low Output was not ticking at all, you might have right about the exhaust manifoild bolts, it have sliped threw my mind to,i know from looking threw reciepts they did some Work on the left side manifoild some years ago due to a leak.

How bad is this, is it a must repair right away or will it eventualy ruin anything Ells?
Does it affect mpg?

Its not like a inconsistent rattle, more like a ping/tick following the rpm,,,

T

#25 ·
Nah, more like something like this maybe>>

Attachments

#26 ·
Man I'm looking forward to this build! My '04 Ltd looks almost identical, color, height, and pretty much everything on the outside aside from the overland badge and parts and mine has factory rims (see my profile).

I like the rims mine has, but I REALLY like the rims your new one has. I'm not one for aftermarket rims personally unless they really serve a purpose and to be honest my WJ will never see a really rough trail any more than 20 miles from my house so what I have is good enough for me aside from a 2-3" lift and some new tires.

#27 ·
Thx man, sure enjoy beeing back in a WJ, rides like a dream, once i got all the repairs and issues needed Fixed it will be a very Nice Jeep. I will try to be as effective as possible, but will need too make some priorities, lots of mods and upgrades needed, so where to start.

Here is my Work list,
All fluid and maintainance,
All repairs and fixes needed,
Exhaust and tuner,
Lift and tires,
Lights and more gadgets exterior,
Alarm/remote start,
Stereo and sound dampening,

So stay tuned, lots of Good Work coming up :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.