jciv 99 wj build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > jciv 99 wj build

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 05-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
jciv
1999 WJ 

jciv 99 wj build

well i picked up a 99 wj 4.0 laredo with selec trac back in march. i have been getting parts and doing some maint. work to it since i got it. i did brakes all the way around, new valve cover gasket, tranny fluid and filter pretty much whatever the p/o haden't done yet. i still need a rear diff cover since the one on it now is weeping thanks to our new england salty winters and rust which thankfully the rest of this wj doesn't really have and is in really good shape for its age. well finally all of my suspension parts that i've ordered so far came in so this afternoon i started my lift. i decided to keep it somewhat mall crawler height i went with 2in iron rock springs and procomp shocks from kolak wished i could get bilsteins or the mx6 but im on a budget and need to keep the wife happy. also got a full set of moog spring isolators from rock auto as the ones on my wj were pretty much shot. i tore down the passenger side first and it took a while as i took my time to get everything figured out. spring perches were pretty rusty as expected with the salt and winters around here took the wire wheel on a drill to them cleaned them up and sprayed with some rustoleum. had a bit of trouble with the top nut on the front shocks but finally got them off with out cutting the piston rod on the shocks. i was pretty surprised i didn't have to use my spring compressors either to get the springs out or back in. got everything back in and torqued down to specs on the front end and decided to tackle the rear tomorrow as it was getting dark and i was working outside. took a few pics also 1st is the wj when i 1st got it and the next few are of the driver side front as i was putting on the springs and shocks. more to follow as i continue my build

20150331_163933.jpg   20150504_190509.jpg   20150504_191000.jpg   20150504_193017.jpg  
jciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
jciv
1999 WJ 

well i finished up the rear today and my lift is finally on. had a bit of trouble with some rusty bolts on the swaybar ends and lower shock mounts but a bit of pb and some heat i was able to break them free with the impact. took it out for a good trip and everything seems good except that i get a shaking when i brake at a little above 50mph never did that until the lift so i have to look into that and get an alignment might need a tracbar and tre's my rotors are fairly new and not really warped as far as i can tell. here's a few pics still need to pic up some bigger tires and maybe some jk rubicon takeoffs.
20150505_122110.jpg   20150505_122134.jpg   20150505_122209.jpg  
Unread 05-06-2015, 05:34 AM   #3
grandboost98
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean looking WJ man! Looks good with the lift
72 Chevy Nova-in progress
http://tiny.cc/BRASSBALLSOFFROAD
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 03:38 AM   #4
jciv
1999 WJ 

thanks grandboost scored some jk rubicon wheels for it yesterday for 150 for all 5. still need to deal with a dw issue but i think i have it narrowed down to tracbar then get an alignment.
Unread 05-07-2015, 05:23 AM   #5
grandboost98
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! I picked up a set of 5 moabs for my WJ a couple weeks ago for 125. I havent mounted them yet though. I want to paint them first, install a budget boost and save up for new tires.

If the track bar has any play than thats probably the problem but the alignment would be a good idea after lifting it either way
Unread 05-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
jciv
1999 WJ 

i had picked up a set of jk moabs the other week for a cheap deal for all 5 so i got a set of tires for them the other day. wanted to run some general grabber at2 but found a deal on some fairly aggressive mastercraft axt in 245/70/17 that had about 1000 miles on them the still have all the teets on the side walls i guess he got them for his wifes car but she said they were too loud? i have the same tires on my superduty and they are pretty decent and for the deal i got them for i cant complain even got the paperwork so i can claim the 55k warranty on them if needed. got some work that needs to be addressed b4 i add anymore fun parts. really need a new trac bar as the bushings in my stock one are toast and the bolt on the passenger side is a bit wallowed out also need to address my rear diff cover thats weeping fluid a bit and get my alignment done. almost got stranded by the wj the otherday because it wouldn't start but i quickly found out the battery cable was loose because of a bad cable end rigged it up to work until i can grab an end tomorrow. 2 more pics of the wj with the moabs and new tires
20150518_163450.jpg   20150518_163508.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
grandboost98
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The wheels look great! Any rubbing issues or do you think you have room to go bigger? I was looking into the same size
Unread 05-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
jciv
1999 WJ 

my lift consisted of iro 2in springs and procomp es9000 shocks and new moog spring isolators when it was all said and done i netted almost 3in of lift i was below the 18in stock measurement from hub center to bottom of fender b4 my lift went on mostly from collapsed isolators and worn out springs. after my lift went on i now have a 20 3/4in hub center to fender measurement. with the new wheels and tires i have no rubbing issues they're roughly 30.5 in tires and i'm sure i could have run 31's or 245/75/17 without any issues and probably should have in hindsight. i doubt i could run anything bigger with out some issues. i haven't flexed it out yet with the new wheels and tires but im sure they should easily tuck the fenders.
Unread 06-28-2015, 04:05 AM   #9
jciv
1999 WJ 

just updating my build but i didnt get any pics this time around. since my lift went on i had been fighting some random dw mostly when braking and hitting bumps simultaneously. i knew i needed a trackbar as the stock one's bushing were had picked up a jks adjustable and installed that. figuring that was my dw issue as when i jacked up my front wheels and did a tierod and balljoint check they seemed fine. i was still gettting the random dw so i decided to pull off one of the tie rods and see what it felt like in my hands well the outcome wasn't too good it was pretty loose so i pulled all of them and they were pretty worn and sloppy and had some clicking but when on the wj they seemed ok. long story short i did a complete job all new tre's and sleeves i used moog since they're recommended here and heavier duty than stock variety. to anyone that needs to do tre's i would recommend new sleeves as well way easier to use all new parts and not have to fight with rust and the possibility of pulling the threads on the old sleeves. i also checked my rotors and they were more warped than i thought but didn't really feel too bad when braking also replaced those with some napa ones got an alignment since i replaced all the front end parts and had put my lift on. results are no more dw and a great steering and driving wj again. next up is my rear diff cover thats been weeping ordered up a solid and ill get some new fluid and do that hopefully get some pics this time. shop i got my alignment at is imo a good shop and even has a couple jeepers that work there they even did a quick go thru of my wj b4 the alignment to make sure it would be good to go for the alignment. the mechanic fellow jeeper even brought me back and let me look underneath and showed me a few things that are going to need to be addressed in the future. which are my lower control arms.
Unread 07-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
jciv
1999 WJ 

had some time to do my rear diff service and cover replacement and also had to fix a p1494 code that came up. the code ended up being a hose that came off the intake manifold need to pick up some hose and a new rubber 90 to replace the dry rotted stuff on there now i was able to cut some back and put it back on and ziptie it to hold it. did my rear diff service and put on a new solid cover. i ahd planned to go dino 80-90 until i found the tag on my diff that was stamped 75-140 syn so i went that route instead. i have a little pump i got a harbor freight for cheap i think less than $10 that i use a bunch on my farm equipment it works great for doing diffs and transfer case ,ect,ect. def worth its weight in gold. with the pump you can suck out some of the old fluid b4 you pull the cover to reduce the mess and it also works great for filling because i didn't seem to see an easy way to fill the diff with trying to squeeze the fluid out of the bottle. added a few pics of the diff install which is a pretty easy service to do that im sure a lot pf people neglect.
20150701_173815.jpg   20150701_174041.jpg   20150702_175538.jpg   20150702_180317.jpg  
Unread 07-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
grandboost98
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear you got your DW fixed!

I have that same transfer pump lol And you cant beat Solid diff covers, I have them on my YJ, the GFs XJ and will probably order them for the WJ. I also got LubeLocker gaskets for the YJ since they get serviced a lot. Definitely worth the money

BTW do you ever go wheelin in your area? I work with a couple guys from that area that know some sweet trails out that way
Unread 07-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #12
jciv
1999 WJ 

grandboost i haven't wheeled out my way in a long time but there used to be some good trails out this way. i know some are still here and others are prob now houses. ill pm you about a few i know of don't really want to say in public. i hit nepaug monday with a friend who just moved out towards that way we stayed on the main stuff and my wj handled it all with ease. ran into a guy on a dozer grading and filling in some of the big holes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.