It's name is 'Black Jeep' - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > It's name is 'Black Jeep'

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #16
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

When I noticed that a VERY reputable transmission shop put dex III in my transmission I was pissed at first. When I went in to talk they explained that ATF +4 was created after our transmissions were made, and that manufacturers only recommend ATF 4 because thats all they make anymore.

And just a little advice from experience, DO NOT let a police officer know that bat is for protection. DO NOT!

Nice start to your build

Unread 12-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

When I noticed that a VERY reputable transmission shop put dex III in my transmission I was pissed at first. When I went in to talk they explained that ATF +4 was created after our transmissions were made, and that manufacturers only recommend ATF 4 because thats all they make anymore.

Oh, thanks alot! I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone about that. Someone was trying to tell me they were different because of certain properties? (I guess like adding Friction modifier to a LSD??)
And just a little advice from experience, DO NOT let a police officer know that bat is for protection. DO NOT!

I don't plan on bragging about it or anything. My Girlfriends dad is a Sergeant for the local PD
Nice start to your build

Thank alot, it's finally starting to come together. If I can find a shop that will pass me for an inspection the lift should be on next week.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Before ATF4+ there was ATF3+. Putting Dextron in a Chrysler transmission is asking for trouble. And as far as I know, only Chrysler recommends the ATF4+, everyone else has their own fluids. So it's not as if "manufacturers only recommend ATF 4 because thats all they make anymore." That's BS. Shops use what's cheap and then charge high dollar. Then your transmission dies and they tell you it's because it's old. So come in to get it fixed, back to them, of course.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #19
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Do you recommend flushing the transmission then? I want to say it's got like 4 quarts of dex/merc.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

Unread 12-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #20
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

My new wheel should be here tomorow, and the shock is scheduled to be here tuesday.

Unread 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriwinkleZJ View Post
Do you recommend flushing the transmission then? I want to say it's got like 4 quarts of dex/merc.
Do NOT flush, just drop the pan and replace Jeep poison with ATF+4. If your not completely sure PM RatMonkey. Hes like a Jeep Jedi, especially with trannys.
Unread 12-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Ratmonkey's reply: well, the dex iii isn't known to be a problem for the rh series trans. do a torque converter stall test and see what it tells you.
if you didn't change the filter yet, you should, and see if there's anything chunky in the pan.

Filter change, and band adjustment as soon as I get back from USCG drills. I did the stall test and my max RPMs were a tad over 2500. Which from my research indicates that the 'Forward clutch' is slipping, has low line pressure, or some sort of 'one-way clutch' is slipping. It's all chinese to me, but it looks like a rebuild might have to happen. I want to do it again, I had a car behind me when I was testing it and kind of rushed it. Today I drove it and it didn't want to shift into 3rd, and it tried to stall on me once in a parking lot, but not as severe as the other times. Going to try and get it inpected today so I can move ahead with the lift. I've been looking at transmission rebuild kits just to get an idea of what's out there when it does decide to go.

Is it possible to switch the cooler lines around? or is there a check valve? I had the radiator out when I did the timing chain, and may have accidently switched the lines around, but I can't tell which one went where.

Unread 12-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #23
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Did the stall test again. It reved to just above 2500 again, and spun a tire. I guess it'll be time for a rebuild soon.

Unread 12-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #24
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

I drove it down to Portsmouth for drills this morning. It did just fine at speed, and downshifted when I needed to pass. It's just taking off where it seems like it lacks, and a few times it didn't want to shift into 2nd or third. It would hit high rpms and wouldn't shift unless I let off the gas alot/completely. Also it had a slight 'shimmy' in the front end which I suspect is from my terrible control arm bushings which will soon get replaced with adjustable CAs if I can get the damn thing inspected

Unread 12-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

While I'm sitting here at drills not doing anything, I'd like to mention my headlight conversion. I basically followed this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...pgrade-660428/ .I opted to solder the 12ga wires directly to a harness I pulled from JY donor, rather than splice them into the factory shoddy wiring. Plus it seems pointless to replace the harness with 12ga if you splice right back into the 20ga or whatever it is.. I swapped from the stock lame harness to a full 12ga wire with relays and all that mess harness. Also swapped to a 9007 bulb it has a 55W low beam where the 9004 bulb only has a 45W low. Also it's been noted 9007s have a better beam patterm. When I first finished the swap I used some luminics 6000K bulbs my friend had bought for his Jetta. Needless to say it was no improvement over stock. I then switched to a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, which was insanely bright. Needless to say lighting is no longer an issue, and this morning when I was cruising down 64 at 5am I could see absolutely everything, perfectly clearly. I highly recomend this mod before retrofitting HIDs or any other unsafe crap.

Unread 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #26
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Yay no more restricted license.

Unread 12-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #27
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

I think I just did something worthy of the dumb*** of the year award. So I was bolting in my front DS for the snow forecasted for tomorow. Well I finally got everything done, and lowered the jack in the front but did not remove it thinking I'd 'glide' right over it. WRONG . Some how, don't ask me, it got wedged into my oil pan, and crushed the **** out of it, spilling oil everywhere, and rendering my jeep inoperable. ****IN AWESOME. I'm beyond pissed right now!

Unread 12-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #28
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Don't sweat it. Stuff happens, to put it lightly. A new oil pan, and you'll be set, eh?

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #29
trailkingzj
1995 ZJ 

Exude for an oil change at least.
Unread 12-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #30
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Yeah I'll get one at work tomorow, then I'll be all set. Minus putting a new one on in the snow, it shouldn't be a problem.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.