Ipod Idea for WJ - what do you think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Ipod Idea for WJ - what do you think?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Ipod Idea for WJ - what do you think?

Okay so I'm trying to find a "NEW" ipod idea...please give me your input on this.

I have the cubby hole, and I wanted to find something that I could use for MORE then just an ipod so I came up with idea.

or

Here is the hole I have to work with

I would start by taking these:

Behind the USB I would have this adapter

Followed by this adapter which I would splice into the aux DC power behind the dash

I would then take this adapter and connect it to my RB1 and the other end into the male RCA cord above (or another similar adapter)

When the dash is put back together i'd like it to look like:

The USB would be for power - and 3.5mm for sound. This way I can use my ipod (with charge) or I can use them individually. I can use the USB for things like my cell phone, or anything else I want to charge. I can use the 3.5mm for my ipod, or any other MP3 device.

For my ipod though, I thought of using this adapter which would give me both

What do you guys think?

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
pauler
2001 WJ 

I used to have a charger and a seperate 3.5mm jack in my honda for my ipod. It caused a lot of interference and made a whirring noise when the ipod was charging and playing music at the same time.

If that adaptor you posted doesn't incorporate controlling the ipod from the headunit/elsewhere, i wouldn't do it. Head units that are ipod ready are cheap, and a lot safer than searching for music on that little click wheel... I had to do that today in my car and it sucked compared to the deck I have in my jeep.

If you want, with an aftermarket deck you could easily just run the USB to that hole you have there by removing the bolts on the climate controls and then popping out the cubby/heated seats with a putty knife.

Not to poop on your thread, but I think it'd be more cost effective and would give better sound if you just went with an aftermarket deck.
-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
pauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

I actually have the factory RB1 radio installed....and Don't plan on getting rid of it.

But you're probally right with this method - maybe more work then its worth.

what would be a better solution? I like this adapter, but it says its only for 05+ grand cherokees....

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1227

I like how this one allows you to keep your 10-CD changer and add the iPod.

I'm so lost with this - so many thoughts, not any good enough to pull the trigger. I know that I want:

- To keep the function with my ipod (IE - NOT the mopar adapter)
- I'd LIKE to keep my CD changer but could maybe go without
- Hard wire / charge connection
- Uses only bottom port of iPod

Unread 04-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I just bought the ipod adapter from best buy and plugged it into the changer port - I didn't have a changer, (had to go to a wrecking yard and swap decks, actually) and I ran it to the center console. Ipod goes in the armrest, still have working steering wheel controls, and everyone's happy. I don't own anything else with a 3.5mm jack, so I don't have a use for it.

You're a bloody genius though on the usb adapter - I've got that cig-to-usb sitting in my garage for when I'm in a rental car (ipod charging) and I can use it for charging up my cell phone, since I think I left my car charger in the last rental car!
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Wait - which kit do you have from Best Buy? I saw that they had ipod kits there, but didnt see one that said it fit Jeep. Only like Ford, GM, and BMW

Unread 04-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

There is an adaptor that plugs into the factory radio using the CD changer port. Its like 150$, and it displays all the info on the screen, and controls the iPod. Check WJJeeps.com for more info.
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
Wait - which kit do you have from Best Buy? I saw that they had ipod kits there, but didnt see one that said it fit Jeep. Only like Ford, GM, and BMW
I got it several years ago for my dakota. it's white with a green label I think.
Unread 04-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
Best Buy doesn't seem to sell the chrysler kit anymore.

Peripheral Products makes it.

What you want is the iSimple Soundbyte box, AND the Peripheral cable for Chryslers.

I JUST ordered mine off Amazon.com, $85 for the iSimple and $10 for the cable. Much better than Best Buy's shelf price of $150.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.