Inferno Red WJ Daily Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Inferno Red WJ Daily Build

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
seymourless

Inferno Red WJ Daily Build

Hey everyone!

I have been flip flopping cars for the last year or two and hope that the wj is the one I'll stay with. It's a 2002 Grand Cherokee overland 4.7 ho quadradrive with 147k miles, inferno red in color. I sold my 2008 legacy Gt. spec b for the jeep, but have owned and fixed up 2 Tj wranglers in the past couple of years.

Got a super good deal on it after talking down the price due to the issues it had. Check engine light for all o2 sensors and air bag lights. After fixing some melted wires and bad fuses, they were fixed! The car looks like it was garage kept. No rust, paint in great shape, but small things like the interior needed some work.

Next the interior seats were in bad shape. Went by my junkyard and got a full set of black leather seats

Old

image-2268353762.jpg

New

image-4210198619.jpg

I have a bad vibration at slow speeds turning, so I read up and assumed my differentials/transfer case fluid needed to be changed. Changed the front and the transfer case, and noticed a small difference. I will change the rear as I still have a bad vibration. I hope the transfer case is still good since the oil was black, but if not I'll swap in a selec trac case.

image-2093240421.jpg

After washing the Jeep, this is what she looks like. I have a ton of small plans that I hope to update this post soon with, but for now here she is!

image-1962332707.jpg

image-2943507170.jpg

image-3788469263.jpg

seymourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Fiori1010

One of my favorite colors looks real clean nice score!!
Fiori1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
seymourless

So I changed out the rear axle fluid, and now all my vibrations are gone! I changed the passenger valve cover gasket because of a small leak. Huge PITA. I wish I would have paid for someone to tackle the job. To make things worse, I'm not sure if I fixed the leak due to oil still under the jeep. Long story short the gasket fell out of place and found out after a quart of oil leaked after running for a minute. Had to do the job all over again

I'm hoping that the drip is from the mess I left in the engine bay, as I have not seen my oil level go down since the weekend.

Finally, got some new headlights! Black housing...makes a huge difference. I am looking into making a retrofit instal in the near future image-2626794029.jpg image-3049351096.jpg
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Looks good man. check your drive shaft u-joints for the cause of your vibe.

edit: just read your last post. good to hear the fluid change helped. If you have vari-lock, make sure you add fiction modifier.

I need to replace my valve cover gaskets as well. going to pay someone to do that one.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
GreenLeader
1998 ZJ 

Nice Jeep. I really like that color. What was wrong with the two original seats? I couldn't see any rips or tears from the picture.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
seymourless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeader View Post
Nice Jeep. I really like that color. What was wrong with the two original seats? I couldn't see any rips or tears from the picture.
Where the picture is cut off it was all ripped. There was almost no foam left in the seat, it just sagged. That and the suede was disgusting!
Unread 11-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Any update?

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
seymourless

There was a slight coolant leak from a heater hose, just needed to tighten the clamps! It was running over the spilled oil, making it look darker than oil. All is good now. Def get someone else to replace the valve cover gaskets. I have green coolant in there now, and don't know how long I have had it in there. Should I flush and change to orange mopar asap?

I really want/need a new wheel/tire combo. Looking at 245/70r17 as I drive this 90% highway. Prob will look for jk 17s either polished or the gunmetal color.

It was foggy last weekend, so I snapped a picture!

image-1198310037.jpg

image-2084486023.jpg

image-4277928923.jpg
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
WJ4x4LIFE

Haha! Now we have some decent WJ brochure photos! Clean WJ, man.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
seymourless

I have been doing a ton of research on the Jeep. I have been working on it every chance I get, and so far all is good! Gave it a wax, but it needs a solid detail when spring comes around.

I noticed the overland rock rails looked a little rusty, so I pulled them off. Driver side has some slight rust, but the passenger side was way worse. This has been a challenge not having a garage, driveway, or actually a place I can legally work on the Jeep near by (HOA where I rent). My folks are about 90 mins away and have a loaded garage, so that's where most everything gets done. The trade off for not having a garage is an awesome view from the back of the house. I painted the rails out back where the view is.

Passenger side:

I used Duplicolor truck bed coating and 60 grit sandpaper. I also used rust transformer paint....all which i had laying around from other projects. Eastwood sells a ton of rust specific paint and paint coatings, so I will buy from them next time around.

Random sunrise pic:
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
seymourless

I picked up some 2013 Rubicon wheels which I had been searching for for a while. I think they will look awesome on the WJ. It will be a glorious day when I can take off the fake chrome wheels. I am not a fan.

Got all 5 off CL, and they are practically brand new. I will post some pics once mounted.

I also scored some Thule aeroblade cross bars from CL. The owner said they were only a couple of months old, and I believe them. Functional and makes the Jeep look that much cooler.

Unread 01-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
seymourless

Next big task was to change the spark plugs. While I was in there, figured I should check the compression to see what i am dealing with after 150k. I was a happy camper when all cylinders read 150psi give or take 2 psi!

I am starting to enjoy more outdoor activities, and figured I could go on a spare of the moment trip to snowshoe, WV the days before the New year. I sort of planned on going beforehand, so after changing out the plugs, i decided to tackle the driver side seat. The heated seats did not work, and the up/down movement did not work, making the seat uncomfortable.

Took apart the seat, which was extremely easy to do. Even the metal clips that hold the leather to the sea were easy. All went back together smooth as well. If your heated seats dont work, don't be afraid to take them apart.

I was expecting to find the burn mark, which i did. The metal rod in the leather just rubbed against the wire until a short occurred. Soldered a wire back in place, and double insulated the wire and the metal rod that is within the leather. Seat works perfectly hot now! The screw rod motor for the seat to lower/raise in the front was seized, so i activated the movement down and persuaded it to spin with some vice grips on the motor rod. The motor still doesn't work right, so I repeated the persuasion until I got the seat to a comfortable level. I then unplugged that motor to avoid accidentally hitting the button and getting stuck in that position again.

You can see the metal rod here:

And the burn mark from the shorted out wire:

Used an additional layer of heat shrink on the wire used to make the new connection, and used some electrical tape over the metal bar/rod that sits in the leather
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
seymourless

With all this work done, I headed to Snowshoe, WV for some snowboarding! The jeep performed great through the mountains! Only time it failed me was when an STI hauled *** past me and sped up through the turns. it sounded great, but reminded me that I am not in a car haha.

Sick Wrangler I saw at the top!

I forgot to take day pictures of the jeep up there due to me being freezing!

Here is a night pic right before we left...looking beefy with icicles haha

Back in town for New Years day! Needs a wash, but its been below freezing for too long.

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
DeChache
2003 WJ 

What head lights are those? I need new lights for my 03 and I really like the looks of those.

I'm Jealous of the Rubi wheels. I want a set.

Awesome Jeep.
DeChache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #15
seymourless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeChache View Post
What head lights are those? I need new lights for my 03 and I really like the looks of those.

I'm Jealous of the Rubi wheels. I want a set.

Awesome Jeep.
Just some $80 ebay specials! They are a big improvement over the cloudy stock ones.

I just performed a retrofit on them. I will post some pictures soon!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.