Howdy! Just got myself a new '04 WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Howdy! Just got myself a new '04 WJ

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

Howdy! Just got myself a new '04 WJ

Hello all, 1st post/thread here..... I am a Jeep owner since 09 when I bought a 2wd WJ Laredo with the I6. Yeah it's not a 4wd but I can tell you I proved to several people that a 2wd jeep can maneuver around in the thick sugar sand out here better than their 4wd Toyota truck can....Then my son got of age to get his DL and I wanted him to have something he could be proud of but wasn't too pricey, so now he's got the old 2wd and he loves it just because it's a Jeep, 2wd or not.
To replace the old WJ, I purchased (about 2 days ago) a 2004 WJ Limited with pretty much all the bells and whistles. V8 (not the HO), 4wd, sunroof, leather, infinity gold sound with the amp, and it was in really good condition from everything I could tell. I made sure to check out all the 4wd components that I wasn't as familiar with and everything worked, including lo-range 4wd on the quadra drive system. Haven driven both I've got to admit that I like the I6 better if for nothing more than I know that it's such an incredible engine...The only thing I found with the new one was that the engine light was on, at which point I let the dealer know and he told me that they needed to replace a sensor on the tranny (can't remember the name of it, something to the effect of transmission tourque lock sensor) if memory serves me right. At any rate, they said they would have to drop the tranny to replace the sensor and they would service the tranny while they were at it..No problem I'm thinking. So the next day I come back and take it for another test drive (engine light was OFF for 25 miles when they test drove it after they fixed it) and I drive it another 10 miles or so, checked the 4wd again to be sure and everything seemed in order so I bought it. On the @ 30 mile drive home the engine light came back on after about 20 miles. I haven't been able to put a scanner on it yet to pull a code, but I'm going to do that tomorrow with my mechanic and then I've got to take it back to the dealership to get it re-inspected because (per the dealership) I have to get it inspected again because it was titled in a different state.

I obviously don't know yet what the code is but it doesn't affect how the jeep drives or runs. Tranny shifts perfectly, 4wd operates as expected, basically everything runs fine, it's just the engine light is on. Once I get the code I'll research it and probably post it here to see if anyone has any info but I don't suspect it's anything too serious....but you never know.

As for the new Jeep itself.....I freaking LOVE it. I need to replace the tires due to wear on the existing fronts and I want to put some all terrains on it....Next order of business is to get one of those safari bars and put some good fogs on it. But that's not going to happen until I figure out what I might have to spend on getting whatever is causing the engine light to turn on....Turned off.

Anyway, good to be here. Looking really forward to taking this WJ out and getting some good trail time. I've got a good selection of muddy trails, rocky trails, steep rocky trails, and just darned good fun mud holes to wheel in out here...

JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

You can get the codes by turning the ign switch to -on/off/on/off/on- Then ithe odometer will spit out any codes.

gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

Sweet, I didn't know that...I just ran outside and tried it and it pulled a P0700 code...A quick google tells me it's most likely a problem with the input/output speed sensors in the tranny and is a common problem with the WJs. So good news is that it MIGHT be a quick and simple fix....The bad news is that (from experience) anything with a transmission might say it's one thing and then several hundred bucks later it winds up being something somewhat related, but not really and nothing you would have ever known to look for to begin with but Hey! At least I have a starting point now!

Also, I took my 4yo down to a easy little trail down the road from the house and he's just amazed that I now have a "Big monster truck"....I didn't even need to throw it into 4lo but just the fact that it was 4wd just tickled him silly.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Here is a search on here for p700 codes. Might be something in one of them to help you out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...rchid=19159623

gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.