How to reset Malfunction Indicator Light on a 2008 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > How to reset Malfunction Indicator Light on a 2008 Grand Cherokee

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
JG_2008

How to reset Malfunction Indicator Light on a 2008 Grand Cherokee

Hello all,

I have searched around the forum but have been able to find a difinitive answer to how I can reset the malfunction indicator light on my cherokee.

I have come across the following so far and will test later today.

Solution #1 - Disconnect the positive and negative battery leads for 15+ minutes. This *should* cause a reset.

Solution #2 - Disconnect the positive and negative battery leads and touch them together. This *should* cause a reset.

Wondering if anyone has tried this already and if these are indeed the right solutions to the reset the malfunction indicator light.

Will post my results when I try them out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JG_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Your vehicle has an OBD II system. To read the code (the reason you have a MIL) you need to obtain a code reader/diagnostic tool. After you read the code they give you an option to clear codes. It would be wise to figure out out what code you have set than go from there. disconnecting the battery may work but it makes sense to do it correctly.

Sometimes you can go down to autozone and those guys will let you borrow a code reader to scan it.

Or you can go to your local mechanic and let him do the job he is trained for.

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
JG_2008

Thanks. Pulling the battery leads out did not work. Neither did tapping the leads together. I just brought it R&S Strauss so they can run a diagnostic and clear the codes. Will cost be $40 bucks. No biggie though, at least I will see if there are any new codes and then it can be cleared.

Thanks again.
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Check out this link: Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Unread 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Might want to try fixing whatever is causing the code to begin with. Just clearing it with an OBDII scan tool will just turn the light off, but will not fix the reason the light was on to begin with.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
JG_2008

Yes, I know. That is why I brought it to the shop. Paid $45 bucks. The intake temp sensor plug was not plugged in. That is what caused MIL to go on. Sensor plug was plugged in and the light was cleared. Jeep is all good now.

Thanks to all that responded. Found it helpful

Last edited by JG_2008; 04-26-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Tags
2008 grand cherokee , mil

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.