How to change dash light on 93-98 ZJ!! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > How to change dash light on 93-98 ZJ!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #91
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChe89 View Post
does anyone have any other colors installed? A while ago I installed the white ones, I didn't care for the color especially mixed with the orange on the gauges. and my jeep is a green and black theme, so I bought the green ones tonight. I will get pics once they are installed. Also, I will have the white ones for sale once I pull them out if anyone is interested. I hope the green looks good.
I'm sure the other colors would work. I wanted blue because I am super-OCD and putting any color behind those blue filters besides blue would drive me nuts!

I think green will look pretty sick. Red could look bad *** too.

All the lighting in my 2008 SRT Jeep is pure white LED and it looks very good.

jlipka98zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #92
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

i want pics of the green lights too because i am wanting to do that sometime in the future and i think it'll look awesome
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #93
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipka98zj View Post
Correct, that is WITH a sunroof. I have only owned two ZJ's and both of them are/were '98's with sunroofs. Since the non-sunroof jeeps have map lights similar to the front, I would agree that you probably need (4) ea 212-2 bulbs and neither the 561 nor 921 bulbs, as you said. Can anyone confirm?

That 561 bulb you linked to is pretty nice. Cheap, too. Since my post, I have found some more 561 bulbs. Try about halfway down this link:

Festoon Dome Lights

You can get some larger arrays to fill out your lens better. Note, the some 561 bulbs may be a little loose on the "posts" that the bulb secures to in the light. Loose enough that the light would flicker when opening/closing doors. I just bent the rigid loops of the bulb to hold it in there tighter.

Every indicator light on the gauge cluster (with the exception of the turn signals) is a 74 bulb. I got all the correct color ones for all the different idiot lights that could come on (amber for ABS, green for cruise, etc). The color gets slightly more "brilliant" but you won't notice a difference on any of them except for the turn signals. You get a much "crisper" flash with LED turn signals. Oh, and I went with low-power frosted lens LED's for the turn signals so I'm not blinded everytime my blinker is on, LOL.
glad to see somebody else knows their stuff
the only thing is, i dont like mixing bulbs from different palces. Iv noticed before that sometimes there are different shades of blue. ive been around autolumination a few times. id say V-LED and superbrightleds are the best. V-LED is just really expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonericsen View Post
i want pics of the green lights too because i am wanting to do that sometime in the future and i think it'll look awesome
it would probably just look stock but brighter. boring if you ask me.
im sure you could throw colors behind the blue filters to manipulate them.
like when i put a blue bulb behind a red filter, the light output was purple
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #94
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

I just painted the woodgrain on my dash green, so the lights should look good with it. Check out my build thread to see it.

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Mudzilla6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #95
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

leave it to the blackberry to take the most accurate pic of my guages as far as color goes. this is how they look in person. a nice deep blue.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #96
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
it would probably just look stock but brighter. boring if you ask me.
im sure you could throw colors behind the blue filters to manipulate them.
like when i put a blue bulb behind a red filter, the light output was purple
i was thinking blue at first but seeing in now i dont think i'll like it too much. i dont mind stock but having a darker green i think would be nice....

now you've also got me thinking about color combinations so i have to think about that before i get to doing this. lol
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #97
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAO View Post
What about the idiot light bulbs? Can't really tell from the pictures, but it does look like they are a smaller version of the dash light bulb holders.
Did mine over the weekend. Replaced every single bulb in the cluster with an LED bulb. Here are a couple notes:
  1. Simply changing the turn signal bulbs to LED is enough to throw off your blink rate (i.e. you get "hyper-blink"). This was a particular bummer for me because these are the main bulbs I wanted to convert (notice difference between LED and incandescent during blinking). These are "discrete" circuits (separate wires for left turn and right turn running to cluster). It's a lot of work, but one could add load resistors to remedy. I AM that anal so I will be trying.
  2. The air bag warning light is somehow getting some residual voltage and is staying on at a very dim level. Not entirely noticeable in the daytime but sticks out like a sore thumb at night. Confirmed by switching with another bulb that it is not a bulb issue. Might have to stick with incandescent on this bulb since no load resistor can be added (circuit controlled by the CCD bus - in other words, no "discrete" wire).
  3. It appears all the idiot lights are fed power from the cluster and then the CCD bus triggers the ground on each individual circuit. I tried to figure out a way to test the bulbs installed in the sockets prior to reinstalling the cluster. I devised a way and I thought I was being clever but pretty much got every single bulb backwards because I assumed the opposite was true. It's pretty much a crap shoot. Install the bulb, replace cluster in vehicle, turn key on, check on power up test. Reverse applicable bulbs and repeat.

Overall, I feel the difference is noticeable for someone as anal as me. The color is much crisper, not a diluted filtered color that you get stock. Worth it? For most people, no. For me, of course.

For the glove box, make sure you get a right-angle (or "flank") bulb for it to shine into the compartment. I would also recommend flank bulbs for the ashtray and power outlet. Much brighter that way.
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #98
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Okay, having a problem. I started replacing the solder component LED's and everything was going good. Got both heated seats and the rear defogger done without a problem (all with red). However, when I replaced the overdrive off with a blue one, I seem to be getting some voltage feedback and the LED comes on dim whenever the key is on. If I push the button, it gets bright like it is supposed to, but when I push it again, it reverts back to the dim power level.

It's kinda like the ABS warning light I was describing above, but what's throwing me for a loop on this one is that I am replacing an LED with another LED.

Anyone else experience this problem? Any ideas?

*****EDIT*****

After doing some more research, it appears that white, blue, and UV LED's tend to be WWWAAAYYY more sensitive than other colors. I am going to throw a red LED in there and see what happens. If that does it, then good. If not, the next step is to start messing with the resistor values (soldered on the board, too) to see if I can make that work. I can update my findings if anyone is interested.

Last edited by jlipka98zj; 06-16-2010 at 09:45 AM..
Unread 09-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #99
wsar10
2003 WJ 

whats up guys ?
its been quite a while sinve i visited this thread and since iv done both of my jeeps pretty much in all LED. But now im working (LED conversion) on a 95 laredo for a new member to JF and a good freind of mine (95granddustin), his laredo has manual climate control instead of auto so my question is dose it take the same bulbs as the auto climate control and if so how many ?
thanks in advance

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #100
h16
1998 ZJ 

this is an excellent post - I had a dash bulb which had burned out - I replaced it with a conventional bulb thanks to this post. Removal of the gauge cluster was a breeze. My gauge cluster has 7 bulbs doing the basic illumination; I replaced all 7 bulbs with bulb #194 replacement bulbs which I obtained at Napa.
--
Here's a question about the LED bulbs, which I would like to install one day - do they dim? It's my understaning that they do not dim like conventional bulbs and more-or-less be "on" or "off" - is that true?
--
thanks again for the great information
h16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #101
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

The Bulbs do dim, they will act just like the original bulbs do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
-cAcHe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #102
muzicman82
2011 WK 

Where can I get non-LED replacement climate control and other component bulbs? LEDs are nice and all, but I don't like the uneven diffusion.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 3.6L V6
42,000 (10/6/12)
muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:52 AM   #103
YERFDOG
1998 ZJ 

My Gauges:

Also have LED's in the turn signals (in the dash).
YERFDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #104
future4btzj
1994 ZJ 

Nice
future4btzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #105
94ZJ-318
1993 ZJ 

Yerfdog, how did you manage to install your LEDs and not have any hot spots?
94ZJ-318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.