How to change dash light on 93-98 ZJ!! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > How to change dash light on 93-98 ZJ!!

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #61
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Gents, not trying to be a smart *** here, but technically, using blue LED's behind blue filters should give you brighter light. If you use white LED's behind blue filters, all but the blue portion of the spectrum gets filtered out. Using blue filters should minimize filtering and yield more light output. Not that you would need it based on what I've seen in the pictures. Looks amazing!

I got the white overlays from jeepwhitegaueges.com and they look almost identical to Autometer's new Phantom II line of gauges. I will be getting an oil temp and trans temp gauge and mounting them on the pillar in one of Lotek's pods. Unfortunately, the lighting on the Phantom II gauges is white at night, not blue (you can see how they look at night by rolling your cursor over the "View Nighttime" button towards the top of the gauge links below). I need to find a way to make those look blue so they will match, too. They already come with LED's in them, tho I don't know what type/size they are. The gauges aren't cheap so I am somewhat hesitant to tear one apart and see if the LED's could be replaced

Links:

Gauge overlays: http://www.jeepwhitegauges.com/zj9698-white-layout.jpg
Oil Temp Gauge: Auto Meter
Trans Temp Gauge: Auto Meter
Pillar Pod: Lotek Dual A-Pillar Pod Jeep Grand Cherokee 93-98 (don't worry, you can get it in Agate to match 96-98 interiors)

jlipka98zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #62
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Lastly, I read in an earlier post that the "solder component LED's" don't actually need to be soldered. Can anyone confirm this for me???
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #63
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipka98zj View Post
Gents, not trying to be a smart *** here, but technically, using blue LED's behind blue filters should give you brighter light. If you use white LED's behind blue filters, all but the blue portion of the spectrum gets filtered out. Using blue filters should minimize filtering and yield more light output. Not that you would need it based on what I've seen in the pictures. Looks amazing!

I got the white overlays from jeepwhitegaueges.com and they look almost identical to Autometer's new Phantom II line of gauges. I will be getting an oil temp and trans temp gauge and mounting them on the pillar in one of Lotek's pods. Unfortunately, the lighting on the Phantom II gauges is white at night, not blue (you can see how they look at night by rolling your cursor over the "View Nighttime" button towards the top of the gauge links below). I need to find a way to make those look blue so they will match, too. They already come with LED's in them, tho I don't know what type/size they are. The gauges aren't cheap so I am somewhat hesitant to tear one apart and see if the LED's could be replaced

Links:

Gauge overlays: http://www.jeepwhitegauges.com/zj9698-white-layout.jpg
Oil Temp Gauge: Auto Meter
Trans Temp Gauge: Auto Meter
Pillar Pod: Lotek Dual A-Pillar Pod Jeep Grand Cherokee 93-98 (don't worry, you can get it in Agate to match 96-98 interiors)
theyr not as bright on mine with the blue filter. i know, in theory they should be brighter

Quote:
Lastly, I read in an earlier post that the "solder component LED's" don't actually need to be soldered. Can anyone confirm this for me???
who said that? id say theyr pretty wrong..
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #64
2GRND4U
1996 ZJ 

on the soldered led's, im assuming the positive end (anode, longer wire) connects to the lead that the resistor is on?
2GRND4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #65
BlackbeastZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thanks a ton for the how to and list of bulbs, John! I'm planning on converting my whole interior to blue LED's, this is a huge help!

[SIZE="1"][B]1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, blacked out
4.0 I6, NP249, D30-D35 with 3.73 gears
LED Interior and gauge lights, Silverstar Ultra's
Tinted tails, Baja fogs, Bedlined bumpers, removed cladding
Iron Rock Offroad 3.5" lift, 15x8 Cragar D Windows, 32" BFG A/T's
Curt trailer hitch, Cobra CB with 4ft RS antenna[/B][/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/black-beast-95-zj-build-922921/"][B][SIZE="3"][B]My build Thread[/B][/SIZE][/B][/URL]

[SIZE="2"]Black Jeep Society
Christian Jeep Owners #37[/SIZE][/CENTER]
BlackbeastZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #66
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
who said that? id say theyr pretty wrong..
See bolded in quotes below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMits View Post
I checked out my headlight switch (box) and the lights on them are really SMALL. I would post a pic but i cant atm cause this account is new but "You dont need to solder the new bulbs in. its just clipping them and btw. I dont think they sell LEDS that small =/ if you can find the right led for it let us know!! pls
Quote:
theyr not as bright on mine with the blue filter. i know, in theory they should be brighter
Totally possible. The one wild card here is that if the white LED's are significantly brighter than the Blue LED's are to begin with, the white LED's may transmit more visible light through the filter. Also, if the blue filter is not close to the same color as the Blue LED is emitting, the same filtering phenomena will take place on with the Blue LED's.

Question then: So, if everyone is using white LED's, doesn't that illuminate some stuff white because not everything has filters on it? Or are people putting filters back on top of the blue LED's??? Just wondering.
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #67
2GRND4U
1996 ZJ 

BLUE led's
Unread 01-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #68
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Another question. If you perform all this, all that I can think of that would be left are the lights in each door's power window switch. Anybody know what to do on those? I fear they may be part of the door modules. In that case, it could be a real PITA to change them. I just hate the thought of going through all this trouble to get everything changed to blue and then still have crap like the power window switches green. Anybody know?

Last edited by jlipka98zj; 01-27-2010 at 12:08 AM..
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #69
spencerk73
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
i just did mine! they look awesome. pics are uploading

How did you get the more even look in your dash, I wasn't too fond of the focussed light on the other one?

Last edited by spencerk73; 02-03-2010 at 10:12 PM..
spencerk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #70
bandanaboyz
1998 ZJ 

Looks great. I just started replacing blubs yesterday. I kept the factory look. Does anyone know if there is a bulb that lights up the buttons "set" & "select" on the VIC? I can't remember if those light up?

Also, do you need to solder the "solder component neowedge bulbs)?

If you want to keep stock look, are there auto stores you can go to that carry OEM bulbs?
bandanaboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #71
subliminal
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerk73 View Post
How did you get the more even look in your dash, I wasn't too fond of the focussed light on the other one?
Id like to know this as well.
Unread 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #72
2GRND4U
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I think because the OP used "white" leds and BlackZJ as well as myself used "blue" leds.... My heated seat control module is brighter than the others but thats because the led's sit closer to the front of the module than the rest.
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #73
VastoLorde
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Another question. If you perform all this, all that I can think of that would be left are the lights in each door's power window switch. Anybody know what to do on those? I fear they may be part of the door modules. In that case, it could be a real PITA to change them. I just hate the thought of going through all this trouble to get everything changed to blue and then still have crap like the power window switches green. Anybody know?

rear doors window switch bulb, front one's I can't get into, case won't fully open

Originally Posted by -ZJones- View Post
To kill you? It wouldn't take that long to hunt you down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike318 View Post
:rofl: yeah, umm, i'm speechless.
VastoLorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #74
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
couldn't tell you to be honest, just put the leds in and they worked?
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #75
VastoLorde
1998 ZJ 

didn't see this one posted before, so this one is for the ''check gauges/low fuel'' and what not (#37 on sylvania chart)

Originally Posted by -ZJones- View Post
To kill you? It wouldn't take that long to hunt you down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike318 View Post
:rofl: yeah, umm, i'm speechless.
VastoLorde is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.