How to change dash light on 93-98 ZJ!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > How to change dash light on 93-98 ZJ!!

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Actually, the replacement guide is saying that the turn signals, high beam, and brake indicators are all 194 bulbs as well. Maybe the socket is just smaller. A 194 is a wedge base bulb so you could get away with a pretty small socket.

I'll let you know when I take mine apart!

jlipka98zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
OvenMits
1997 ZJ 

got mine done, just need to replace the dimmer control and its set =) the green isnt so bright =/ but the right and left signals are BRIGHT as hell. its blinding so im goin put the old bulbs for those 2. lol.

p.s. THE T13-X6 WEDGE BASE LED BULB for the dash instruments are kinda big for the hole you need to slip them thru, becareful!!! they fit but it takes a lil pushing.
OvenMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
Dillonzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cAcHe- View Post
Yup!!! white...but they look blue..haha..its that hyper white thing.
not only this but all the gauges and htr controls are actually blue.. when the yellowish light from a standard bulb goes through the blue it makes it light up green.. yellow + blue = green sooo when the pure white light from the led goes through the blue it shows only blue.

Crane Cam shaft and Crane, Roller Rockers, bored .030 over, edelbrock performer heads, M1 Intake manifold, Fasstman throttle body, magnacore wires, platinum plugs, K&N FIPK, dough thorley headers,3" high flow cat, 3" magnaflow mandrel bent exhaust, SCT tuned

***future mods -5.5 IRO LA - KOR sliders -KOR roof rack -

SOLD-
95' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
188k 5.2L v8 White 98 ZJ rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
...we all know they empty our pockets...yet they fill our hearts...

MY BUILD THREAD
Dillonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #19
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonzj View Post
not only this but all the gauges and htr controls are actually blue.. when the yellowish light from a standard bulb goes through the blue it makes it light up green.. yellow + blue = green sooo when the pure white light from the led goes through the blue it shows only blue.
Interesting. Guess I'll just have to buy some bulbs and try it out. If the filters are indeed blue then that's great news. I wanna change everything to blue lights.

I'm particularly excited about trying blue LED lights with a set of white gauge overlays. I'm gonna start out with the gauge lights and slowly proceed from there. If I can't get everything blue then I'll probably just stick with the gauges only.

As far as the turn signal indicators being too bright, you gotta just try a dimmer LED. THese are what I am gonna try:

2 SUPER GREEN INVERTED CONE LED 194 158 168

They emit less light straight out in front, so they shouldn't be as blinding to the driver. I just HATE the lazy response of incandescent bulbs, especially on anything that blinks/flashes.
jlipka98zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cAcHe- View Post

I like how you HAD to keep your USB plugged in. haha
(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Cache thanks for doing this. i should have done one back when i originally did mine but i was caught up in the moment of modding my jeep and completely forgot :

the climate control is doable yes, but it makes a difference (or at least i am under than impression) in which setup you have: digital (limited style) vs the ones in laredos.

this weekend im gonna take apart my climate control and investigate that.

headlight switch and heated seat switch are doable as well, but i get the feeling those will be more difficult because you may have to snip the old lights out and solder in new ones. really tiny circuit board type lights

the idiot lights on the gauge cluster are doable as well. i know the "Brake" light is a type 78 bulb. im sure all the others are as well.

funny, something got me thinking again last night that i need to finish up my led conversion project so i was doing more research all night then i see this along with all the other LED dash threads pop up. it must be in the air

hey mods could we make this a sticky in the FAQ? i can tell you how many people iv had come to me asking about how to do this mod. it would be nice to be able to pass along this link to them, and let them see the pics
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #22
OvenMits
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
Cache thanks for doing this. i should have done one back when i originally did mine but i was caught up in the moment of modding my jeep and completely forgot :

the climate control is doable yes, but it makes a difference (or at least i am under than impression) in which setup you have: digital (limited style) vs the ones in laredos.

this weekend im gonna take apart my climate control and investigate that.

headlight switch and heated seat switch are doable as well, but i get the feeling those will be more difficult because you may have to snip the old lights out and solder in new ones. really tiny circuit board type lights

the idiot lights on the gauge cluster are doable as well. i know the "Brake" light is a type 78 bulb. im sure all the others are as well.

funny, something got me thinking again last night that i need to finish up my led conversion project so i was doing more research all night then i see this along with all the other LED dash threads pop up. it must be in the air

hey mods could we make this a sticky in the FAQ? i can tell you how many people iv had come to me asking about how to do this mod. it would be nice to be able to pass along this link to them, and let them see the pics
I checked out my headlight switch (box) and the lights on them are really SMALL. I would post a pic but i cant atm cause this account is new but "You dont need to solder the new bulbs in. its just clipping them and btw. I dont think they sell LEDS that small =/ if you can find the right led for it let us know!! pls
Unread 11-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

i think i know the bulbs youre talking about. im gonna take mine out of my jeep tomorrow and begin dissecting sometime during the week and ill report back with pics and such. itll be from a 96 limited. so the climate control might differ from others
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #24
OvenMits
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
i think i know the bulbs youre talking about. im gonna take mine out of my jeep tomorrow and begin dissecting sometime during the week and ill report back with pics and such. itll be from a 96 limited. so the climate control might differ from others
Theres a slight difference if its a limited vs a laredo but when its the lights, its the same =)
Unread 11-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #25
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am interested in doing this, but are these LED's expensive? I would also want everything in blue if I do it, so I am waiting to see how the climate control works out.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #26
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMits View Post
Theres a slight difference if its a limited vs a laredo but when its the lights, its the same =)
oh ok, wasnt sure

tore into all the dash panels this weekend. WOW thats gonna be really easy after all. ill report back here soon with pics anda list of what bulbs are needed
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 11-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #27
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
oh ok, wasnt sure

tore into all the dash panels this weekend. WOW thats gonna be really easy after all. ill report back here soon with pics anda list of what bulbs are needed
Cool, let me know and that way i can update the thread.. and hopefully it goes in the FAQ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
-cAcHe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #28
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Hey gents, any news on identifying or replacing the tiny bulbs in the heated seats and headlight switches? Mine are burned out too... PLEASE let us know if you identify an incandescent replacement part number!!

As to changing the colour of the VIC, this should be possible. ALL of the LCD lines that make up the VIC display are actually white. You get the green color for the "truck" and the red or yellow text for "Lo" etc. because there's a colored film on the plastic window over the VIC. The colored film is green over the jeep outline, red over the "open doors," and yellow over the "Lo" (or is it "Lo Range?). If that film were cleaned off, or the window in the cover replaced, you could choose whatever color you want - including white.
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #29
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Do the LED's react to the dimmer?
Unread 01-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #30
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaTheZJ View Post
Hey gents, any news on identifying or replacing the tiny bulbs in the heated seats and headlight switches? Mine are burned out too... PLEASE let us know if you identify an incandescent replacement part number!!

As to changing the colour of the VIC, this should be possible. ALL of the LCD lines that make up the VIC display are actually white. You get the green color for the "truck" and the red or yellow text for "Lo" etc. because there's a colored film on the plastic window over the VIC. The colored film is green over the jeep outline, red over the "open doors," and yellow over the "Lo" (or is it "Lo Range?). If that film were cleaned off, or the window in the cover replaced, you could choose whatever color you want - including white.
stay tuned, i just ordered all the lights for the switches and everything. Ill take pics and add them to this thread so we have a complete write up, then ask the mods to make it a sticky.

Oh and I would LOVE to figure out how to change the VIC colors, that would be awesome. I nominate you to try it. If I get my hands on a spare VIC I might mess around with it and see what I can do myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE3 View Post
Do the LED's react to the dimmer?
Yes
My Build Thead
Facebook

Last edited by BLACKzj52; 01-14-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.