How to change dash light on 93-98 ZJ!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 218 Old 11-10-2009, 01:10 PM
jlipka98zj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Green River
Posts: 288
Actually, the replacement guide is saying that the turn signals, high beam, and brake indicators are all 194 bulbs as well. Maybe the socket is just smaller. A 194 is a wedge base bulb so you could get away with a pretty small socket.

I'll let you know when I take mine apart!

jlipka98zj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 218 Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
OvenMits
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 97
got mine done, just need to replace the dimmer control and its set =) the green isnt so bright =/ but the right and left signals are BRIGHT as hell. its blinding so im goin put the old bulbs for those 2. lol.

p.s. THE T13-X6 WEDGE BASE LED BULB for the dash instruments are kinda big for the hole you need to slip them thru, becareful!!! they fit but it takes a lil pushing.
OvenMits is offline  
post #18 of 218 Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Dillonzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cAcHe- View Post
Yup!!! white...but they look blue..haha..its that hyper white thing.
not only this but all the gauges and htr controls are actually blue.. when the yellowish light from a standard bulb goes through the blue it makes it light up green.. yellow + blue = green sooo when the pure white light from the led goes through the blue it shows only blue.

98' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 5.9
149k 5.9L v8 White

Crane Cam shaft and Crane, Roller Rockers, bored .030 over, edelbrock performer heads, M1 Intake manifold, Fasstman throttle body, magnacore wires, platinum plugs, K&N FIPK, dough thorley headers,3" high flow cat, 3" magnaflow mandrel bent exhaust, SCT tuned

***future mods -5.5 IRO LA - KOR sliders -KOR roof rack -

SOLD-
95' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
188k 5.2L v8 White 98 ZJ rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
...we all know they empty our pockets...yet they fill our hearts...


MY BUILD THREAD
Dillonzj is offline  
post #19 of 218 Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 AM
jlipka98zj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Green River
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonzj View Post
not only this but all the gauges and htr controls are actually blue.. when the yellowish light from a standard bulb goes through the blue it makes it light up green.. yellow + blue = green sooo when the pure white light from the led goes through the blue it shows only blue.
Interesting. Guess I'll just have to buy some bulbs and try it out. If the filters are indeed blue then that's great news. I wanna change everything to blue lights.

I'm particularly excited about trying blue LED lights with a set of white gauge overlays. I'm gonna start out with the gauge lights and slowly proceed from there. If I can't get everything blue then I'll probably just stick with the gauges only.

As far as the turn signal indicators being too bright, you gotta just try a dimmer LED. THese are what I am gonna try:

2 SUPER GREEN INVERTED CONE LED 194 158 168

They emit less light straight out in front, so they shouldn't be as blinding to the driver. I just HATE the lazy response of incandescent bulbs, especially on anything that blinks/flashes.
jlipka98zj is offline  
post #20 of 218 Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
97DCZJ
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cAcHe- View Post

I like how you HAD to keep your USB plugged in. haha

1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis: V8 5.2L, stock.
(Sold) 1998 Cherokee Sport: 4.0L I6, Stock.
(Sold) 1990 Cherokee: 4.0L I6, 4.5" Lift, 33" BFG's.
(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline  
post #21 of 218 Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
BLACKzj52
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,678
Cache thanks for doing this. i should have done one back when i originally did mine but i was caught up in the moment of modding my jeep and completely forgot :

the climate control is doable yes, but it makes a difference (or at least i am under than impression) in which setup you have: digital (limited style) vs the ones in laredos.

this weekend im gonna take apart my climate control and investigate that.

headlight switch and heated seat switch are doable as well, but i get the feeling those will be more difficult because you may have to snip the old lights out and solder in new ones. really tiny circuit board type lights

the idiot lights on the gauge cluster are doable as well. i know the "Brake" light is a type 78 bulb. im sure all the others are as well.


funny, something got me thinking again last night that i need to finish up my led conversion project so i was doing more research all night then i see this along with all the other LED dash threads pop up. it must be in the air


hey mods could we make this a sticky in the FAQ? i can tell you how many people iv had come to me asking about how to do this mod. it would be nice to be able to pass along this link to them, and let them see the pics

- John - 23 and learning <-- ORIGINAL
- 1996 Black ZJ Limited: 5.9 swap, LA's, axles, absolutely built to hell
- 1998 Platinum 5.9 Limited: DD with some lighter modifications
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline  
post #22 of 218 Old 11-21-2009, 03:19 PM
OvenMits
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
Cache thanks for doing this. i should have done one back when i originally did mine but i was caught up in the moment of modding my jeep and completely forgot :

the climate control is doable yes, but it makes a difference (or at least i am under than impression) in which setup you have: digital (limited style) vs the ones in laredos.

this weekend im gonna take apart my climate control and investigate that.

headlight switch and heated seat switch are doable as well, but i get the feeling those will be more difficult because you may have to snip the old lights out and solder in new ones. really tiny circuit board type lights

the idiot lights on the gauge cluster are doable as well. i know the "Brake" light is a type 78 bulb. im sure all the others are as well.


funny, something got me thinking again last night that i need to finish up my led conversion project so i was doing more research all night then i see this along with all the other LED dash threads pop up. it must be in the air


hey mods could we make this a sticky in the FAQ? i can tell you how many people iv had come to me asking about how to do this mod. it would be nice to be able to pass along this link to them, and let them see the pics
I checked out my headlight switch (box) and the lights on them are really SMALL. I would post a pic but i cant atm cause this account is new but "You dont need to solder the new bulbs in. its just clipping them and btw. I dont think they sell LEDS that small =/ if you can find the right led for it let us know!! pls
OvenMits is offline  
post #23 of 218 Old 11-21-2009, 04:22 PM
BLACKzj52
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,678
i think i know the bulbs youre talking about. im gonna take mine out of my jeep tomorrow and begin dissecting sometime during the week and ill report back with pics and such. itll be from a 96 limited. so the climate control might differ from others

- John - 23 and learning <-- ORIGINAL
- 1996 Black ZJ Limited: 5.9 swap, LA's, axles, absolutely built to hell
- 1998 Platinum 5.9 Limited: DD with some lighter modifications
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline  
post #24 of 218 Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM
OvenMits
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
i think i know the bulbs youre talking about. im gonna take mine out of my jeep tomorrow and begin dissecting sometime during the week and ill report back with pics and such. itll be from a 96 limited. so the climate control might differ from others
Theres a slight difference if its a limited vs a laredo but when its the lights, its the same =)
OvenMits is offline  
post #25 of 218 Old 11-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Mazdarx
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Surrey,BC
Posts: 934
I am interested in doing this, but are these LED's expensive? I would also want everything in blue if I do it, so I am waiting to see how the climate control works out.

www.team1hobbies.com -My business, being self-employed rocks.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline  
post #26 of 218 Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM
BLACKzj52
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMits View Post
Theres a slight difference if its a limited vs a laredo but when its the lights, its the same =)
oh ok, wasnt sure



tore into all the dash panels this weekend. WOW thats gonna be really easy after all. ill report back here soon with pics anda list of what bulbs are needed

- John - 23 and learning <-- ORIGINAL
- 1996 Black ZJ Limited: 5.9 swap, LA's, axles, absolutely built to hell
- 1998 Platinum 5.9 Limited: DD with some lighter modifications
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline  
post #27 of 218 Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
-cAcHe-
Registered User
 
-cAcHe-'s Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Holtville CA,
Posts: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
oh ok, wasnt sure



tore into all the dash panels this weekend. WOW thats gonna be really easy after all. ill report back here soon with pics anda list of what bulbs are needed
Cool, let me know and that way i can update the thread.. and hopefully it goes in the FAQ's

www.desert-hooligans.webs.com


Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
-cAcHe- is offline  
post #28 of 218 Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 PM
StellaTheZJ
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 629
Hey gents, any news on identifying or replacing the tiny bulbs in the heated seats and headlight switches? Mine are burned out too... PLEASE let us know if you identify an incandescent replacement part number!!

As to changing the colour of the VIC, this should be possible. ALL of the LCD lines that make up the VIC display are actually white. You get the green color for the "truck" and the red or yellow text for "Lo" etc. because there's a colored film on the plastic window over the VIC. The colored film is green over the jeep outline, red over the "open doors," and yellow over the "Lo" (or is it "Lo Range?). If that film were cleaned off, or the window in the cover replaced, you could choose whatever color you want - including white.
StellaTheZJ is offline  
post #29 of 218 Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
BigE3
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tombstone,Az
Posts: 1,014
Do the LED's react to the dimmer?

I like my Jeep, just like my women. 'Loose and Flexible'
BigE3 is offline  
post #30 of 218 Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 AM
BLACKzj52
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaTheZJ View Post
Hey gents, any news on identifying or replacing the tiny bulbs in the heated seats and headlight switches? Mine are burned out too... PLEASE let us know if you identify an incandescent replacement part number!!

As to changing the colour of the VIC, this should be possible. ALL of the LCD lines that make up the VIC display are actually white. You get the green color for the "truck" and the red or yellow text for "Lo" etc. because there's a colored film on the plastic window over the VIC. The colored film is green over the jeep outline, red over the "open doors," and yellow over the "Lo" (or is it "Lo Range?). If that film were cleaned off, or the window in the cover replaced, you could choose whatever color you want - including white.
stay tuned, i just ordered all the lights for the switches and everything. Ill take pics and add them to this thread so we have a complete write up, then ask the mods to make it a sticky.


Oh and I would LOVE to figure out how to change the VIC colors, that would be awesome. I nominate you to try it. If I get my hands on a spare VIC I might mess around with it and see what I can do myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE3 View Post
Do the LED's react to the dimmer?
Yes

- John - 23 and learning <-- ORIGINAL
- 1996 Black ZJ Limited: 5.9 swap, LA's, axles, absolutely built to hell
- 1998 Platinum 5.9 Limited: DD with some lighter modifications
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University

Last edited by BLACKzj52; 01-14-2010 at 10:56 AM.
BLACKzj52 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
How to change a light bulb......... keya Wrangler General Discussion 7 02-10-2009 07:33 PM
Air Bag Dash Light bobged ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 1 09-30-2008 12:03 AM
How to change dash light bulbs? 318jeepcherokee ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 3 09-01-2008 11:40 AM
what is this dash light? dustindu4 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 02-06-2008 01:50 PM
94 4WD Dash Light Info Herb Jenssen ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 6 11-27-2002 02:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome