How capable is a stock overland offroad? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > How capable is a stock overland offroad?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #16
dlwilson42
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my02overland View Post
Yea. Maybe the rims were an option? Im not sure. I have seen some 02's with the Chrome wheels.
I have those rims on my 04. I like the look. And the chrome tow hooks. I think they were part of the Freedom Edition package.

Unread 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeeplovesmud View Post
the mud flap removal mod would greatly help your chances offroad, and getting a chick in the sack
HAHA
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

all 02 Overlands made before the spring (like mine, check your build date) came with upcountry package

The chrome wheels are an option some have them some don't. I have the Hammerheads not chrome ones stock.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Unread 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo21 View Post
all 02 Overlands made before the spring (like mine, check your build date) came with upcountry package

The chrome wheels are an option some have them some don't. I have the Hammerheads not chrome ones stock.
yea but also their was confusion when buying a jeep and some people unselected the UP country package too so have to check the build sheet really.
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

they were only able to remove after the spring of 02 before that it was standard.
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Very capable, the sliders and skids work great and they LSDs work like a champ with stock tires. it should work be a champ as long as you don't go to crazy. i did some hard stuff with my when it was stock with bald tires. Get some ATs and you'll be set
I disagree. Not going to be very capable at that height without at least some decent AT's.
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #22
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
I disagree. Not going to be very capable at that height without at least some decent AT's.
Oh, you own one too?

Here's my reasoning. I've done mud and rocks. Nothing you're gonna find at a competition or at a hard pay to play ORV park. But its stuff that's on your local fire roads and trails. You have skids front, rear, and tcase. You also have sliders. If you believe in the Jeep and LCOG theory that, "speed makes up for clearance" you won't have to many problems. The ONE time i got stuck though was because of ground clearance, yes. But even with 4+ inches of lift i can sometimes get hung up on it.

This isn't to say that i haven't gone up hills and over wet rocks with out slipping and sliding down because i have LSDs. Compared to a Laredo it's like comparing a stock Rubi to a stock Sahara.
Unread 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #23
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Oh, you own one too?

Here's my reasoning. I've done mud and rocks. Nothing you're gonna find at a competition or at a hard pay to play ORV park. But its stuff that's on your local fire roads and trails. You have skids front, rear, and tcase. You also have sliders. If you believe in the Jeep and LCOG theory that, "speed makes up for clearance" you won't have to many problems. The ONE time i got stuck though was because of ground clearance, yes. But even with 4+ inches of lift i can sometimes get hung up on it.

This isn't to say that i haven't gone up hills and over wet rocks with out slipping and sliding down because i have LSDs. Compared to a Laredo it's like comparing a stock Rubi to a stock Sahara.
Never owned one, but I've wheeled plenty stock, and I know how important tires are.

WJ's also don't have the best departure and breakover angles without a lift. I know that most of the trails that I ran in MA, I struggled in my ZJ with a 2.25" lift and 30" muds. Clearance becomes an issue quickly on "easy" trails.
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #24
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Never owned one, but I've wheeled plenty stock, and I know how important tires are.

WJ's also don't have the best departure and breakover angles without a lift. I know that most of the trails that I ran in MA, I struggled in my ZJ with a 2.25" lift and 30" muds. Clearance becomes an issue quickly on "easy" trails.
Maybe your not picking the right lines?
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #25
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Maybe your not picking the right lines?
There aren't any "fire roads" in MA that are worth running (don't need 4x4, basically). My statements really have more to do with the trails in the Northeast than anything.
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #26
myjeeplovesmud
2004 WJ 

Quote:
There aren't any "fire roads" in MA that are worth running (don't need 4x4, basically). My statements really have more to do with the trails in the Northeast than anything.
and it seems like your more picking on a wj for not being a zj. apollo stated above to add a/t's for the best odds offroad. stock, these things do quite well.

you mentioned break over angles? we are talking about a stock GC, not a humvee. and i don't remember anyone suggesting to the OP to drive through a river, then mud 2 fr deep that leads to a rock pile.
ZONE 4" Lift With 32" Duratracs
Hella Lighting - Rola Rack - KOR 3/4 Spacers
IRO Sliders - Rusty's Hooks - Cobra CB

MY BUILD THREAD
BAD TO THE BONE ZONE

November 2010 GCOTM
myjeeplovesmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #27
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I know that WJ's have a bit less encouraging breakover angles, but in my ZJ with 235's I went through all kinds of crazy stuff, even when my tires were near bald. Now with AT's I really don't fear much. If I had full skids, I'd take it most anyplace. This is at stock height. And this is considering I like mountain trails, not Moab type stuff or river crossing. It does quite fine. The suspension isn't nearly as stiff as I'd like, like a JK's would be. I think the same can be said for WJ's when stock, but hey, they still get you there. You just won't be beating any Wranglers. I usually just let them pass me, that is, if the trail is wide enough.

Anyway, I just think that for the average weekend trail-goer, a WJ with good AT's will get you most anywhere you want to go. Just pay attention and have common sense. Also, it is best to go with others. I don't really feel comfortable sometimes just because I'm alone, and I'll find a place to turn around when trails get really bad because I won't risk it if I have no one to help me out in a sticky situation.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 04:35 AM   #28
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I've always been impressed how well the Quadra-Drive WJs hook up, especially with decent tires. Mom's 4.0 Laredo with QD wasn't bad in the snow with bald A/Ts on it, as long as you kept it down a gear for stopping. With new tires, you can go WOT, it'll spin the back tires for about 1/2 second, hook up and go almost as well as it does on dry pavement.

As was said, in stock form with good tires, the biggest issue will be getting it high centered.

Snowleopard - If you think ZJ suspension is too soft, the WJ is softer.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #29
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeeplovesmud View Post
and it seems like your more picking on a wj for not being a zj. apollo stated above to add a/t's for the best odds offroad. stock, these things do quite well.

you mentioned break over angles? we are talking about a stock GC, not a humvee. and i don't remember anyone suggesting to the OP to drive through a river, then mud 2 fr deep that leads to a rock pile.
While ground clearance may be similar to a ZJ, the WJ has a worse departure angle. Look at the *** end of a WJ next to the *** end of a ZJ and try to argue that point. I never said ZJ>WJ offroad.

If you read what I wrote, you'd realize that there isn't much to run in terms of fire roads. This is a comment more about the nature of the trails in the Northeast. The OP can very well end up in the situation you described . . . I did it more than once when I was wheeling near stock on several different trails. No one is suggesting he run it in those conditions, I'm just pointing out that the trails around here are not nearly as forgiving as he may be expecting.
Unread 06-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #30
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I have to agree with the dirty diaper problem. I never thought of it as an issue, until I parked on a decent size snow pile at work (backed in). I just barely touched the pile with my gas tank before the rear tires started to climb it. In Mom's WJ, I would have had to do it nose-in, as the gas tank would have gotten stuck.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.