hood vents 5.9 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > hood vents 5.9

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #31
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I agree the over the manifolds would be the most efficient. The vacuum effect is what "pulls" the hotter air out of the engine compartment so location is ideal but not necessary. I would love to have put mine there but with the hood bracing it was not feasible.

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #32
flex71
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ok so I got me some new vents and trays form a great old buddy that worked with mopar, what is the location the factory 5.9 vents are placed ? aprox. meserments from font lip of hood and how far in from the side, I surf mostly from wk so I cant veiw pics posted thru the web(photobucket) and I have no spell ck they make u down load it and from wk I can not do that.
flex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #33
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Take the hood insulation off. Than you can see the bracing for the zj hood Locate in between the bracing. This is pretty easily found. I located mine approx 2.5-3'' from the edge of the hood. Mine were angled cause of the hood lines. Go out and look at your hood take a picture if you have any other problems.

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 01:39 AM   #34
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Best for the money. Wrapping fuel rails and lines, wrapping intake tube, iat relocate, ram or durango 5.2/5.9 airhat. Oil catch can on the pcv.
ratmonkey interesting stuff !! iat relocate ? air hat ? catch can on pvc explaine please more info needed,
Intake air temp sensor gets heat soak from being mounted in the hot intake manifold. Relocating it to a bung on the intake tube gets it reading real air temps.

The pcv sucks a lot of oil mist and deposits into your manifold, which goes right into your cylinders after gumming up everything else in the way. A catch can or even a 3/8" push on fuel filter pulls the contaminates and oil out of the air helping keep your motor cleaner and retaining the positive venting action instead if just using two breathers.
The air hat is the part of your intake assembly that bolts to the throttle body. On v8 grands it is the most restrictive part of the intake system before the heads. On ram trucks the hood height above the motor is greater allowing a much taller air hat to be used. With some minor hood brace trimming and/or spacing it up a bit.(another trick to help vent heat is to space up the back of the hood, but it doesn't look as good as vents).

Use insulating hvac duct wrapping(foil backed tape too) to wrap all fuel lines in the engine bay and the intake tube. Those can add a pretty decent amount of pep. The engine was initially programed to run without all the heat soak the fuel and air charge take up. Eliminate it and the motor will run much better.

With these tricks you'll all be mustang killing machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
V-8, Exhaust Manifolds left and right side of engine bay is where your heat is highest. my thoughts .
You'd think, I've found the most effective way to vent the stock(unwrapped exhaust) bay is to have you vents just behind the rad/fan area. The manifolds get hot, but convection and the vac effect doesn't get that much heat out of that area.
Keep your vents forward, scoops middle, and raise the back of the hood for either method.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #35
flex71
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
Take the hood insulation off. Than you can see the bracing for the zj hood Locate in between the bracing. This is pretty easily found. I located mine approx 2.5-3'' from the edge of the hood. Mine were angled cause of the hood lines. Go out and look at your hood take a picture if you have any other problems.

POST #12 HAS pics my hood is not a 5.9 hood so cut to the right or left of the brace,see pics I got ahold of new vents and trays and I really want to cut my hood , AND maby a little extra trim for the air hat also thanks RATMONKEY, I want to get this thing rippin the power is there just diffrent from my 4.ol XJ .
flex71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.