Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

► Holiday 1 Year Premium Membership Giveaway - Best DIY Mod

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ChrisHager 
#1 ·
We're giving away a 1 year premium membership for the holiday season and since I've always been a fan of Chevy Chase's creativity and ingenuity, the theme is: Best Do-It-Yourself Modification!

The rules are simple:

1. To enter, reply in this thread with pictures and information describing your modification.
  2. Only 1 entry with 1 modification per user will be considered.
  3. No chit-chat in this thread. Keep it for entries only.

All Grand Cherokees are encouraged to participate. Entries will be accepted until 4:00 PM Central Time on December 23rd. At this time, the thread will be closed. The winner will be announced on Christmas Eve.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

#2 ·
I'm picking this mod, since it was the cheapest, easiest solution to a very inconvenient problem. My transfer case linkage (the link with the adjustment) would always pop out when I tried to shift into 4LO, the little rubber bushings just wouldn't hold it in anymore. So here's my 15$ fix.

1. Some 5$ rod ends, I got mine from Princess Auto here in Canada, Tractor Supply Co. also has them.

2. A few fine thread bolts to match the rod ends, jam nuts and lock nuts... About another 5$

3. Cut the bolts to rough length, and weld together.

4. Finished product, painted for good measure, and some washers.

5. Installed. Only issue is that it is not double-adjustable (right hand threads on both ends), so one end will need to be unbolted to make adjustments. But this one will never fall off, and even feels more direct when you shift the transfer case. Best 15$ I've spent on the Jeep yet!

#3 ·
Oldsmobile Aurora reverse lights. Pulled from a junkyard to use for rear auxiliary lights. Removed the license plate surround panel and enlarged the square holes in the tailgate to set the Aurora lights in. Replaced the Jeep license plate panel and sealed with silicone. The license plate now mounts to to the Aurora piece. Wired to an auxiliary relay from the battery powered by ignition. Wired to a LED rocker switch in the headlight panel. The hole for the switch is a bit big but its functional. Planned on cleaning it up when I get my hands on another headlight switch panel.

#4 ·
Glad to see some last minute entries! Keep them coming!

#5 ·
Added a 8 relay bluetooth board to the Jeep. My Android Samsung Galaxy III phone controls the board.

Got the board off Ebay for $59 shipped free from china. Took a little over a week to get it. IT runs off 5v. It came with a USB cord and a 110v to 5v wall plug. It has a USB PWR plug at one end and a round PWR plug at the other.

Here is me testing it out.

I picked up a bunch of these a while ago from the JY so I spliced one to the one on the lower console (right one constant power). I also spliced in an extra power wire to use to run power through the relays to trigger the relays under the hood.

Then I used one of these USB receptacles I had laying around and put it in the receptacle. Pluged the USB cable in and ran it and the PWR wire up under the cover above the steering wheel. That is where all the wiring goes from my light switches and light controller box.

I mounted the board under the panel above the steering wheel. Plugged in the USB cord. Ran the PWR cord into one relay and jumped it to all the others. This PWR will only trigger the relays under the hood that actually PWR the lights and such.

Then I ran the wires from each relay and tapped it into the existing wiring that goes to under the hood. I only have used 4 so far. LED bars, KCs, side lights and back up lights. Didnt take pics of this because its easy and I got lazy. LOL

Here is a video I took. It starts of with me being about 20 yards from the jeep and at the end I'm about 80 yards from the jeep.

Couple diagrams for those that pm'd me.

#6 ·
Thread closed! Thanks for everyone who participated. The winner will be announced sometime tomorrow!

#7 ·
And the lucky winner is.....

chaZJones!

Congrats on the win! You should see your account upgrade take affect shortly.

Thanks for participating everyone.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.