Higher lift/no armor OR Lower COG/armor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Higher lift/no armor OR Lower COG/armor?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

View Poll Results: Uno or Dos
4" lift adjust. short arms / no money for armor 1 25.00%
Cut Front/Rear fenders and some sliderssss 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Higher lift/no armor OR Lower COG/armor?

Hi guys,
Heres my dilemma..currently I have the IRO 3" on my 03 GC. Its fine the way it is, but I would like to be able to flex a bit more and have more ground clearance. The highest lift I could do is 4" because of my garage and racks. What would you do...

Spend a pretty penny for an extra inch?
or
Keep it at 3" lift, cut fenders front/rear for more room to flex, use the money I would be saving for some sliders, and possibly some lightweight bumpers front/rear (i dont need anything too extreme like how you guys build yours, no way will my bumpers scrape, i just want a functional/better look than plastic...kinda like those prerunner types).

Basically, option 2 is like lakailimited and how he cut his fenders enough to stuff 33's and wheel.

I know in my build thread my thoughts change like the wind, but thats only because I dont wanna mess up, I dont want to spend money unnecessary, and many of you guys out there have A LOT more experience than me.

I appreciate your help!

alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Let's start off with saying that no matter what height of lift you have, you should have skids and sliders if you plan to wheel. I still hit mine.

What size tires do you want to eventually run? What kind of wheeling is there in Hawaii?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

why not get 1" spacers cause they are fairly cheap then you can still have money for the skids and bumpers. and I also agree with GraKee99 you should have skids and sliders no matter what so you don't end up doing too much body damage.

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Mudzilla6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChe89 View Post
why not get 1" spacers cause they are fairly cheap then you can still have money for the skids and bumpers. and I also agree with GraKee99 you should have skids and sliders no matter what so you don't end up doing too much body damage.
Perfect plan! I love my sliders and skids

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
marcall
2004 WJ 

sliders,skids ,HD diff covers. that's my plan anyway for rocky as hell souther Arizona wheeling. Right now I just have the TC and gas tank. Oil pan next and then sliders and finally diff covers.
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Let's start off with saying that no matter what height of lift you have, you should have skids and sliders if you plan to wheel. I still hit mine.

What size tires do you want to eventually run? What kind of wheeling is there in Hawaii?
I'm currently running 32's...I plan on sticking with 32's and IF i do decide to go larger, 33's at the biggest. I think 32's are a great size at the moment. Hawaii offers Lava rock, and a ***** ton of it. Thats the only way to reach fishing spots. While hunting, minor drop offs and washed out areas, but my 3" does fine on that already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChe89 View Post
I wish it was so simple to throw on the 1" spacer. But at 4", pinion angles, driveshaft replacement, all new control arms, and from what i hear, the dreaded PITA a-arm spacer comes into play. Its definitely alot more expensive.
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Sounds like there is no need to lift it higher for what you use it for.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Cut the fenders it is!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.