Hey Guys, Noob here, Need Lots of Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Hey Guys, Noob here, Need Lots of Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 05-12-2015, 12:30 AM   #1
braineater
2006 WK 

Hey Guys, Noob here, Need Lots of Help!

Hey Guys, Just joined the website. Looking to learn more about my Jeep, as my knowledge is extremely limited. If you have some time, Id really appreciate the help.

Firstly, I am not really sure how to identify what Model of Jeep I have. I obviously know that I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with 4x4 and a V6 engine . . . but all this wk wk2 wj lingo has got me a little confused.

Secondly, I am looking for some advice on tires. I have gotten to the review page and see everyone's feedback, but I dont really even know where to begin.

Hoping for some help.

braineater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
vlackattack
1997 ZJ 

1993-1998 Grand Cherokees are ZJs, 99-04 are WJs, 05-10 are WKs (yours), and 2011-now are WK2s.
vlackattack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
mtchronicles

What vlackattack said outlining Grand Cherokee models is correct. Also, considering you have the V6, that means you most likely have a Laredo. This trim usually came with Quadratrac 2 in a single-speed transfer case.

So as far as tires are concerned, it really depends on what you are going to use your Jeep for. Give us some details, and we can give you better advice.
mtchronicles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
braineater
2006 WK 

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I definitely have the Laredo, and Im lovin it! Lol
Okay, so as far as my tire needs: I live in Mid Missouri, so I do hit the back roads quite often, but nothing too extreme or challenging. My main concern, as I am from Michigan, is that Im looking for an all-season tire that can handle snow. However because it is quite a drive back and forth I dont want to kill my MPG with a heavy snow tire, especially because Missouri winters can be mild.
Unread 05-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
braineater
2006 WK 

Also, after trips to several tire places, these are the models that have been suggested to me, my tire size is 235/65R17/XL:

Nokian Entyre 2.0
Nolian Rotiva AT
Goodyear Assurance Fuelmax
Goodyear Triple Tread
Goodyear Viva 3

As a young woman, I really dont want to be taken advantage of, and really wanna know what Im talking about when I go in there, please help. ????
Unread 05-18-2015, 03:39 AM   #6
mtchronicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineater View Post
Also, after trips to several tire places, these are the models that have been suggested to me, my tire size is 235/65R17/XL:

Nokian Entyre 2.0
Nolian Rotiva AT
Goodyear Assurance Fuelmax
Goodyear Triple Tread
Goodyear Viva 3

As a young woman, I really dont want to be taken advantage of, and really wanna know what Im talking about when I go in there, please help. ????
Okay, -rubs hands together- this is going to be interesting.

It's been several years since I've bought new tires, so instead of giving you suggestions off the top of my head, based purely on memory and hearsay, I thought I'd do a little research.

First, I don't know why you're running that tire size. It seems considerably small for a Jeep. I thought the WK came stock with larger tires. Give me a moment ... it appears that your options are limited if you stick with the 235/65R17 or 245/65R17, both of which were sizes that came factory with the Jeep. I should have checked into this before I went and did all my research. Oh how retrospect is fun!

To outline your options in order of performance/reviews;

- Okay, I'm going to order this differently than planned. Due to your tire size, and considering the V6 is not the peppiest of engines, let's try to stick with stock diameter. Thus, the best option I can find for you is the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10

The good news is I ran these tires on my Jeep and loved them. They're the unsung hero, almost secret of the off-road community. They come with a great warranty and work very well for the price. The snow and ice performance is on-par if not slightly better than many all-terrain tires, and every day road performance is fantastic. I loved how well they cornered. They did much better on the highway and going around corners than my previous Michelins did. They're also quite a bit cheaper than many options out there. The sidewalls are a point of contention with some community members, however, it's common for the cheaper, non-hardcore AT tires to have 2-ply sidewalls. The block protection helps, and I don't see you taking on any really rocky trails to test this out.

I will mention the other options I'd come up for you prior to realizing the tire sizes you are limited to.

1. BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 (The best All-Terrain out there right now, but depending on tire size the price can reflect this)
2. Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (Excellent snow/ice performance for an AT tire, severe snow rated, can come with holes for installing spikes for winter driving, but sidewalls are 2-ply and a complaint of hardcore off-roaders)
3. Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 (You won't get a better bang for your buck, but the 2-ply complaint is the same for these as with the Duratracs. They are also not severe snow rated, however, they are still very good on snow and ice. Note that no AT is going to be as good as a dedicated winter tire, but not everyone can afford multiple sets of tires for the seasons. It's really up to you what you can afford and want to do.)

I only rated the Hankooks as my third choice because the Goodyear Duratracs have more community members running them - from everything I've seen in browsing various forums. Also, they have some extra siping (a term meaning special grooves/cuts/indentations) and appear to perform slightly better in the snow/winter conditions overall. I will say that I lack personal experience with them, but you can view a comparison chart at TireRack.com or at DiscountTire.com and read reviews at both places. I purchase from Discount Tire or Big-O Tire, whichever is located nearest me at the time. This is because they often provide warranty/service above what the tire manufacturers will - often for free. Both will do free balance/rotations for the life of the tire. That'll save you a lot of money over time. You especially want to ensure good tire wear on a Jeep like yours with the Full-time 4wd transfer case. If the tires wear unevenly, this will put more strain on your transfer case. So balancing and rotations are key.

I suppose it's all a moot point unless you opt for a tire size that would barely squeeze into your wheel wells, could possibly rub, and would reduce your power/gas mileage. You could try checking out different wheels that would allow for other tire options, but this is getting beyond my knowledge. Perhaps some other more experienced Jeepers, at least when it comes to the WK, will chime in here.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with information. I was trying to be thorough. Have a nice day!
mtchronicles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.