hey guys having a problem with my 2002 jeep grand cherokee laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > hey guys having a problem with my 2002 jeep grand cherokee laredo

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 08-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
jeepboyy

hey guys having a problem with my 2002 jeep grand cherokee laredo

hey guys my car
2002 jeep grand cherokee laredo 6cylinder 4.0L 4x4 here

ok well im having a problem with my radiator fan relay. I know where it is located underneath the right headlight.

I have changed once before and it ran great. I then experienced a problem where it said check gauges....the check engine light did not come on however since i had lifetime warranty i just decided to change it again...I changed it and as soon as i turned the car on the check engine light came on...got it tested it was the relay so i exchanged it...put the new one on as soon as i turned on the car the check engine light came on and it was the same problem again.......now be aware that the fan is not spinning during these exchanges of the relay

now i need a new radiator....there is a small leak in the plastic piece that connects from the main thick hose on top left....over time it did leak coolant a little and it seemed to drip on the piece directly under it.....the piece looks black with the red face and it connects to a small rounded metal pipe...dont know if this anything to do with it but i wanted to mention this

the next thing that might help is i opened the fuse box and seen the number 40 box that is label radiator fan....could it be as simple as a new fuse?

next thing is i manually checked the fan and spun it...it seemed nice n loose....not tight or no rough points where it wouldnt rotate...seemed fine mechanically....

not sure what to do guys....can u let me know...ask me questions too and i will leaborate more if i missed anything...

jeepboyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
jeepboyy

Anyone?
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
greeky510
2000 WJ 

Its possible your fan is on its way out and it kills your relays. Remove the fan and put 12volts from the battery directly to it. This of course doesn't rule the motor out as the problem.
Next step for me would be to get a new motor or a new fan assembly.
Where are you located, I'm on my phone and I can't see any info.
Sent from AutoGuide.com App
greeky510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
jeepboyy

Hmm ok so the fan and the fan motor are 2 seperate entities. The fan could be good but the motor fan could be bad? Im in tennessee currently
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
jeepboyy

Great my other jeep has the death wobble....
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
greeky510
2000 WJ 

No, the fan motor and fan assembly is the same thing. The motor is the part in the middle that the plastic fan blades attach. It is possible to find just the motor, however, 2 times I've installed old blades on a new motor and the motor fails within a year. I don't know if its a matter of balancing the blades.

That's funny about your other Jeep. What? Would you prefer a car that works perfectly every time or a car that keeps things interesting? Every time I start my Jeep, I think to my self, OK, let's see what doesn't work today. Lol.

Unread 08-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
jeepboyy

Lol i kno man. Pain in the ***. Always a sensor or some other bull****. Yea i found out just buying the whole assembly ia cheaper than buying just the motor. I have to jump the fan to by pass the relay to see if the fan works. How would i do that exactly ?
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
greeky510
2000 WJ 

Just get two wires and attach them to the battery and the fan plug. I don't remember exactly how many pins the jeep has on its fan. If its two just attach them however way, if its 3 pins attach the ground (-) in the middle one and the positive (+) in either one of the other two.
The reason I asked where you were is that I have a working fan and you could stop by and pick it up.

Unread 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
jeepboyy

thanks very generous of you

a mechanic told me if the relay keeps failing , more than likely u have a failing fan that is about to break or has broken...i assume he means the actual fan motor and not just the blades...the whole assembly...so it seems i have to replace whole assembly too...man this jeep wont fukkin stop giving me problems....
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
greeky510
2000 WJ 

Before you kill another relay and risk overheating I would just go ahead and replace the fan.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.