Help Just Replaced front end CV and Hubs symptoms remain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Help Just Replaced front end CV and Hubs symptoms remain

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Smartenupnow88

Help Just Replaced front end CV and Hubs symptoms remain

Dear Fellow Jeep Folks
Have a 1995 4.0 inline 6 mechanically solid GC Laredo. Initial sxs clicking on slow speed turns (3 to 5 mph), Replaced CV joints and hubs both sides. Now it has a minor sx; does not emerge on short trips. But when we go to NJ from PA (140 miles each way)... when we get to NJ and when we parallel park it with the steering wheel in full lock it feels like it "rolls" like it did when CVs were acting up. It does the same when we return to PA and make a slow hard left turn onto our block to park it. The brake pads smelled funny when I installed them brand new...but no longer. Fellow local PA jeep owners have shared that it may be a caliper or a "cross member" that is symptomatic after a lot of bumps or heat from the 140 miles. No abnormal tire wear...no sxs at high speed baffled by this minor glitch... any thoughts? I don't want to throw parts at this...although they are relatively cheap and I can do the work. Ball joints are tight both upper and lower. The driver side hub had to be cut out as the three bolts securing it were seized. This may be a clue or just a coincidence. Calipers look good upon visual inspection brakes fine as expected.

Smartenupnow88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Can you describe this "rolling" feel through the steering wheel some more?

I'd guess the same as your jeep buddies, something brake related, or possibly related to the viscous coupler in your transfercase

I know you mention the brakes looking good, but pay special attention to the part if the caliper bracket in which the brake pad "ears" slide. It can become grooved after years of use and cause the pad and/or caliper act up.
Unread 06-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
Smartenupnow88

Hey murdaJs: It feels like we ran over a small speed bump also sometimes the tranny seems to have a hicccup when it is in cruise control...perhaps it is the coupler? It does this very sporadically...but it gets your attention... The rolling sx can only be reproduced after a long trip and when the steering wheel is far left or far right. I will check the wear on the calipers to rule this out as a brake sx. I am not overly concerned as it is not compromising safety at this point. Jeep has 155k on it was babied in Atl GA as you know it runs like a tank (had a 300 D MB before so I can appreciate a solid ride). I had a hunch it may be where the CV axle interfaces with the t case...both CV axles look good but appear to slip when in cruise control...has done it about 10 times since I bought the GC. Thank you and as you say never get stuck.
Smartenupnow88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.