Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Help!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
weswilliams
1996 ZJ 

Help!

Okay so my jeep will crank up, and then immediately shut back off. The only way it will stay on is if I continually rev the engine and keep the accelerator down. But still, as soon as I let off the accelerator it shuts off again. The check engine lights been on for a few months about the torque converter. Does that have something to do with it? If not, does anyone know what this is?
Thank you so much.

weswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
scottspott99

check codes again... weak fuel pump, TPS sensor a good place to start
scottspott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Best bet would be TPS or IAC, cleaned out Throttle body lately?
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
weswilliams
1996 ZJ 

The only code I got was 12. The day before this incident I went outside and my car battery had died. Upon getting it jumped i managed to pull the jeep back into its parking spot, the next morning is when I discovered the problem. It's been a few days since and I've been able to go out and at least crank it up daily but when I went out again today, the battery had died again. At least that's what it seemed like because there was a loud receptive clicking sound. And I haven't cleaned out the throttle body lately. I've had the jeep about 4 months, I bought it used.
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Replace battery,

Electronic might act up in all strange ways on low voltage, like your idle problems.

Code 12 just means battery was disconected within the last 50 key cycles.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
weswilliams
1996 ZJ 

Awesome, will do. Thanks!
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
weswilliams
1996 ZJ 

Update:
I bought this Jeep in October, so before I decided to pay to buy a new battery, i figured I'd look through all the receipts and figure out if they'd bought one recently. Turns out the owners had bought a new battery for the jeep in march of 2013, so it's not very old. Is there still a strong chance it's the battery or is it more likely that it'd be TPS? The battery was bought at Walmart, if that helps, haha.
Unread 02-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
MoabWJ
1999 WJ 

If the battery or electronics are making noises, you have decent voltage in your battery. However, you have a poor connection. Check for corrosion on your battery terminals, check tightness, and for good measure, using a wire brush, scuff up the contact points on the battery posts and the wiring connectors.

You had solid input from T-hawk. Even if it is a newer battery, it could be faulty, or just toast from being run down. Check your terminals (free). Check the voltage on the battery (free at an autoparts store). Start simple in diagnosis.
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
weswilliams
1996 ZJ 

Awesome, thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.