Headers finally installed , nice gains - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Headers finally installed , nice gains

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Headers finally installed , nice gains

It's taken me 6 months to find a day to finally get these headers installed on the 5.9.

For those who didn't see my thread , I got them off Kijiji brand new never used for $250 delivered to my door faster than a pizza .

I since picked up the new HF cat .

This morning , I decided today was the day . To the garage I went . Should be easy enough , and , for the most part , the install went pretty ok . The headers are quite the tight fit on both sides . The kit fit well and no leaks present anywhere . Not bad . I tossed on the cat and headed for the exhaust shop . Had everything cept the cat welded up , the cat was clamped .

The ride home was a real eye opener , sweet mother of jesus that SOB can sure go now . I can't believe the difference . It reminds me of my ol' 70 Chevelle with a 454 . The power is fantastic . I so can't wait to hit the track come spring . This thing is nuts now . Feels like the fronts gonna come off the ground . Pleased , I'm freakin estatic .

The headers by far registered the most gain according to the butt dyno . Not to be forgotten , the cat and muffler are Magnaflow HF's , and just installed the same time , it all helps . The tailpipe remains stock until I cut the 3" off the Orvis , if I even bother to change it at all .

Headers , worth every penny

newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Yep! Ive got the doug thorley headers, 3" from the collector all the way back with a random technologies HF cat, and magnaflow muffler. Def worth the investment. Now add a bbk 52mm TB, K&N fipk, kolak ignition upgrade and an M1 intake. Youll love it!!! After that, throw in a new cam, harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, new valve springs, pushrods, ported iron ram heads. Top it off with an SCT tuner. Then youll really be moving
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Got the PCM , K&N PFIK , MSD coil , wires and 6a-2 box . Got a hughes plenum plate and will be doing the same mods I did on the Orvis , shaving around the injectors and a 3/4" grind .

She rips good enough for me . Well , maybe I might build a better engine or do a hemi swap down the road , but , for now , yippie !
Unread 12-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
indredsnake99
1998 ZJ 

good to hear the headers made a real difference i am hoping to get some soon for my niner.

and btw pics/ vids will greatly be appreciated
2007 sahara 2 door wrangler stock bought 02/08/2011

Western Mass 4x4 KEVIN'S OFF ROAD IRON ROCK OFFROAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post
You'll learn a lot. I didn't know anything when I first joined this site either. (not sure if that's changed at all :laugh:)
indredsnake99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indredsnake99 View Post
good to hear the headers made a real difference i am hoping to get some soon for my niner.

and btw pics/ vids will greatly be appreciated
Theres a set of mike leach headers forsale on thespeedfreaks.net right now. You might be able to talk him down a bit on price.
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
YERFDOG
1998 ZJ 

Sounds legit! I hope to get a set of headers in the future. So you installed the Edelbrock headers correct?

You should make a video of your exhaust .
YERFDOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Video is being up loaded to my photobucket , just in the garage idling with a few good hits on the gas . Have you a link in 5-10 mins

Pics , why not , I mean , what was I thinking not posting pics
dsc04575.jpg   dsc04576.jpg   dsc04577.jpg   dsc04584.jpg  
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

video link MSD Ignition upgrade :: MOV04585.mp4 video by onegoodmason - Photobucket
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
I need to get a V8....
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
I need to get a V8....
Unread 01-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

how low does that hang? on my 5.2 i had to chop the y-pipe before it dropped down just to tuck every thing up and out of the way, before it was almost below the frame rail.

and thats not a wide body? is the muffler 2.5? then a reducer into the stock 3'' tail pipe?
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Yup , 2.5 all the way , expanded extention to the tailpipe .

Not sure what model they used , just 2.5 in/out

It's tucked about the same , maybe a little better than stock

I think my Orvis was tucked more but no cat
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
tody009
1994 ZJ 

yes headers are amazing! i have mike leach headers with a high flow cat and muffler and wow is all i have to say
tody009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.