Has anyone seen the new waterless coolant? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Has anyone seen the new waterless coolant?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 10-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
ghost98
1998 ZJ 

Has anyone seen the new waterless coolant?

I just watched a episode of Wheeler Dealers and they used a new waterless coolant. It seems to have a much higher boiling point and lower freezing point and it doesn't pressurize the system like water does so they could remove the radiator cap while the engine was hot and no spray. Also there is less corrosion on your engine because there is no water and it last a lifetime. I found it online from a place called Evans and it runs $43 a gallon. To replace your coolant you have to get all of the water out of your engine which it sounds like a simple flush won't do. Does anyone know a way to do this procedure?

ghost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
pageman
1995 ZJ 

im always for new automotive innovation but that sounds like magic snake oil.im not a nay sayer but doesn't really seem plausible
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

As for getting all the water out, I would think hooking a Shopvac up in place of the radiator cap with the lower hose off would work. The massive air flow would make the water evaporate in around 30 minutes or so. Would work best if you drained the system when already hot.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Just an FYI, the radiator cap is what determines cooling system pressure, not the coolant itself.

$43 a gallon? No thanks, that's a lot of money to piss away if a radiator starts to leak or a hose blows.

A good coolant upgrade is stepping up to the newer Mopar HOAT or Zerex G-05. You get better protection for your aluminum components (radiator, water pump, aftermarket heater cores) and a longer service life for only about $4 more per gallon.

Not to mention I've noticed a 10* reduction in operating temps vs regular green, which I've confirmed via scan tool.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

It's not snake oil, it really does work. It's not actually new either, it's been around for the best part of 20 years.

If you filled a brand-new engine with it, you'd never see any cooling system corrosion ever. Whether it's worth spending the money to fill an old engine that's already suffering typical corrosion from running 50/50, though, is another matter.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Should also improve the life of cooling system components and seals as they are not subject to elevated pressures.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
liftedWJ03
2003 WJ 

Anyone heard anything or have tried this out by now? I'm interested in giving it a shot
03 WJ Laredo 4.0L - Fawkes shackle tabs, Addco rear sway bar, double cardon front driveshaft, IRO adjustable short arms, JKS adjustable trackbar, OME 2.5" springs w/ 1in bb, Bilsteins, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on Jegs d-windows
liftedWJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
bryanintowson

Saw the Wheeler Dealers episode, and Jay Leno is converting his entire fleet over to it one car at a time. I have to flush my heater core and when I do, I will take the opportunity to switch over to waterless coolant.

bryanintowson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.