Harbor Freight off-road light comparison - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Harbor Freight off-road light comparison

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Harbor Freight off-road light comparison

Just trying to be helpful to my fellow Jeepers so I thought I'd share my Harbor Freight light comparison. This afternoon I bought 3 different lights from HFT, not knowing which lights worked the best. I bought the twin-pack of smaller rectangular lights ($9.99 for the pair), the round rubber-bodied work light ($7.99 each), and the chrome 6" round off-road light ($9.99 each). Took them home and tonite after dark, I hooked up each one to the Jeep battery to test brightness, range, and beam. IMO, the cheapest of the three (the $9.99 twin pack) was the clear winner. Bright light, focused beam similar to the stock headlights, and the beam easily lit up my back fence a good 250' out. The chrome 6" light was almost as good but there just isn't enough difference to justify the cost (twice as expensive as the twin-pack). The rubber-bodied work light? Don't waste your time or money. Dull light, unfocused, no range, just horrible. All three lights have the same basic mounting requirements, just drill a hole and mount with the included brackets. The twin-pack comes with wire, which isn't long enough to use for roof-mounted lights, but the included rocker switch is so cheesy I can't bring myself to even consider its use. I'll get a nice toggle and a relay from Radio Shack. Even still, these lights seem to be a bargain at $20 for the four lights I'll need.

Hope this helps somebody.

ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Cool thanks for the info. So you liked the rectangle lights the best? Ive been considering throwin some cheap lights on the jeep just wSnt sure about the HFs. Were there any other choices?
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Yeah, they have a $29.99 twin-pack of round lights with plastic grills, but I didn't check that set. I was trying to keep it extra cheap.

I was plenty impressed with the $9.99 set, a lot of light from such small lights and the price is quite nice.
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRad View Post
Yeah, they have a $29.99 twin-pack of round lights with plastic grills, but I didn't check that set. I was trying to keep it extra cheap.
I have a set of these mounted on my safari bar. They work great. I have 2 switches to control the relay for the lights. One switch is just on and off, but the other switch is the one I leave on all the time, it activates the lights when I turn on my high beams. It's a world of difference using those extra lights driving at night. I just have to pay extra attention to oncoming traffic, since I don't want to blind anyone.
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Some states have hefty fines for using of road type lights on roads. They might outweigh the usage while driving.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Im gonna have to go pick some up soon. Eriktherad You in marysville ca?
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

So the little rectangle ones are more of a spot beam? That's a real good price and all the reviews on hf say they are good.

Also the website says they are 4.5 inches wide, is that about right? I think I can fit 6 of em on my roof if that's the case.

Thanks for showing me these!
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Yes, I'm in Marysville Ca. I see you're in Oroville, we're practically neighbors.
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

The lens itself is 4 1/2", but the overall width is closer to 5 3/4". And yes, its more of a focused spot beam, not a flood light.
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
Some states have hefty fines for using of road type lights on roads. They might outweigh the usage while driving.
I'm well aware of that. That's why I make sure I turn off the high beams as early as possible. Most of my nighttime driving is on secondary roads with less traffic or in towns where I don't need high beams anyway. I've passed a few cops that I know saw them lit up and didn't bother me. I account that to me being lucky
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Yes, I'm in Marysville Ca. I see you're in Oroville, we're practically neighbors.
Yup. Is there a harbor freight in marysville or yuba city?
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #12
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjCREEPjeep View Post
Yup. Is there a harbor freight in marysville or yuba city?
No but I work in Roseville near the Galleria, theres a Harbor Freight just over the freeway. I was just there again today and bought a second set of lights, a recovery tow hook, and a hi-lift jack. The Chinese get alot of my money through HFT..... I admit, as much as I can't stand most Chinese garbage, HFT is pretty handy for alot of stuff. Even handier that its right there on my way home.
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

Got 3 sets of these coming
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #14
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I had a set of these, the Harbor Freight "Long Range Off-Road Driving Lights". Mounted them up on my ZJ between the stock fog locations in front of the grille. Hated them. They are a super-long range spot pattern, no dispersion at all. The adjustment mechanism was a joke as well, they have little detents for the adjustment, so you can't fine-tune the spot pattern where you want it very well. When they got dirty, you can's wash the glass (grilles removed) without taking the whole light apart. And they got water in them.

On the plus side, they were super bright. In just one little spot.

I also had the $17.99 HF fog lights (the rectangle ones that look like stock ZJ fogs) and those were great, none of the problems that the $29.99 oval off-road lights had. Would highly recommend as a fog/driving/off-road light.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

I just mounted the 4 lights to my roof rack, I'll get some pics up soon. Jeep is apart right now getting new springs, shocks, tires, and paint. Doesn't look real good at the moment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.