Had to ask this question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Had to ask this question

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Pomorza
1996 ZJ 

Had to ask this question

Hello all.
I've been a member here for about six months or so and have noticed a large majority of you like V8 engines in the ZJ. I would like to know why?

I've done my share of off road driving in my young life (I'm 21) and I've never really needed anymore power than the good old I6 puts out. Now take my jeep is stock and I usually stick to mostly moderate trails (I trail ride) so I've never really experienced a moment where I found 190hp not to be enough.

Is there something wrong with the I6? Mine has 253k on it and still starts up everyday like she was did the day we bought her. Sure she has a very faint knock on the bottom end at idle (very faint), and yes the remain seal is bad so oil leaks out (~1qrt a month) but I've never really had any major problems with it.

So I would really like to know. Why do you have a V8? Do you just not like the I6 engine or do you really need that extra power?

Jan

Unread 04-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
Haleyrz
1998 ZJ 

No one needs the extra power, we just want it. Think of it this way. Try to push a boulder up a steep hill, it might be a little difficult. Now if you were quite a bit stronger/fit/bigger, it would be easier. The I6 works wonders in the wrangler, and even in the XJ. In the ZJ it is perfectly acceptable, but when it comes to towing, hills, rock crawling, etc, its a little underpowered for the heavier vehicle.
1996 ZJ Laredo, 5.2L V8, 3" Kolak exhaust, K&N FIPK, 4300K HID's, Sold

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...27&ref=profile
Haleyrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

The fuel economy difference is very minimal

V8's have the better transmissions

and your almost guarenteed an LSD in the rear

Besides all that , my 0-60mph is less than 10 sec. with 32's and a 5" lift the exhaust rumble's a sound I love to hear
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

If you know how to use it right, 6 is enough
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
If you know how to use it right, 6 is enough
The 6 is enough , I like how you put it . It's enough to run run slightly bigger tires , it's enough to pull the family to the lake , and it's enough to get groceries with . For those who choose to build up , the V8 just makes more sense . No stroking required , no re-gearing required , no rear locker needed (until the dana breaks , lol) , the transmission are stronger , have less trouble and on average , take more abuse .

I liked the 4.0 in my stock 93 , it was a good engine with ample power to get along , but my lifted 95 V8 blew the doors off it . OK OK , it might have been the wife's driving
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

I6 has enough for me and i find it easier to work on

to each their own
97 ZJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

You solved your power issue with 4.56's . Heck , you probably have more get up and go even with your 33's over stock . Definately the way to go .

Nice build BTW
Unread 04-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Id love to have a V8 over the 6 just for the pure sound of a V8, I love that rumble. The I6 right now with my 33s and 3.73s is MISERABLE towing my boat. I only go 20 minutes max so its tolerable now. When I try and tow my four wheeler for a couple hours it sucks. Its peddle to the metal sometimes to get up some hills.

Granted im on not so stock tires with stock gearing. When I finally do axle swaps and regear I shouldnt be having these problems.
UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.