Green ZJ, AKA: Jolly Green Giant - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Green ZJ, AKA: Jolly Green Giant

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #61
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

If you go with them, and stick with the stud mount fronts, you do have to put 2 heavy flat washers on top of each bushing washer. I found this out the expensive way as mine ripped the nut through the washer on the drivers side, 10 mins later ripped the other side out, but didn't catch it in time and bent the shaft. I hear you on the bilstiens, I put a set on my brothers jk, they are nice shocks but with all the hype about them on here I thought they would be noticeably better, I haven't noticed much if any difference over the crappy stock shocks it had.

94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #62
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
If you go with them, and stick with the stud mount fronts, you do have to put 2 heavy flat washers on top of each bushing washer. I found this out the expensive way as mine ripped the nut through the washer on the drivers side, 10 mins later ripped the other side out, but didn't catch it in time and bent the shaft. I hear you on the bilstiens, I put a set on my brothers jk, they are nice shocks but with all the hype about them on here I thought they would be noticeably better, I haven't noticed much if any difference over the crappy stock shocks it had.
Its funny the way the internet is, everyone I talk to online loves bilsteins, everyone I talk to IRL hates them. I wheeled for the better part of today, and I gotta say they do good out back, but I'm going to be doing something about the fronts, they're just not good crawler shocks IMO, too soft at low speeds. Go over the rough stuff pretty fast and they do awesome. But this isn't a baja rig, its for rocks, and these are appsolutely crap on the rocks, I had a few people ride with me today all say the same thing too.

I dont mind a shock riding a bit rougher on road if it does better off, I'm currently looking for suggestions. I was told by a special someone not to get the rs9000xl's because they're twin tube (not monotube) but from what I've seen with mono's they're nothing to brag about.

I got a bunch of photo's and vids uploading from today here's a teaser
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #63
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/37.asp the pre runner 8000 shocks really are very nice, and have a larger shaft then all the whatever name on the same shocks you buy everywhere. I also have these at an angle on the back of bruiser, I Definately wouldn't call them stiff.
image-1217945360.jpg  
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #64
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I think I need something stiffer, the whole front end just bounces up & down over and over quite a bit over rough stuff. I've been through 3 sets of springs up front and they do change the ride and such, they all still do this. I had a buddy ask today if my front shocks were blown, I told him I had bilsteins and he was apauled by how they rode. Like I said you get on some rough stuff FAST and they'll stiffen up and ride nice, but slow down and they act like they're not there.

You think those would fit the bill?
I wonder if they have a set (stud top/loop (or bar pin) bottom) with body up?
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #65
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

First: Got a few things done before wheeling today
Trans skid in place (I dont think the bolts were tight but w/e)

Started workin on radiator/steeringbox/front engine skid

Mounted

My buddy saying hi to you guys lol

Random pic I found in an old magazine at work the other day lol

Mostly poser shots for the pics from today, but here's heres all i could take

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #66
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Some vids

hd looks good in this one, rest were with an old phone so they're pretty bad
Unread 08-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #67
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Me in BG
Unread 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #68
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #69
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #70
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #71
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat
I think I need something stiffer, the whole front end just bounces up & down over and over quite a bit over rough stuff. I've been through 3 sets of springs up front and they do change the ride and such, they all still do this. I had a buddy ask today if my front shocks were blown, I told him I had bilsteins and he was apauled by how they rode. Like I said you get on some rough stuff FAST and they'll stiffen up and ride nice, but slow down and they act like they're not there.

You think those would fit the bill?
I wonder if they have a set (stud top/loop (or bar pin) bottom) with body up?
I run them on my 98 with great success. I can't say it ever bounces, yet they let it flex great. My 98 has rear sway bar but no front. I'm used to it and wouldn't have it any other way, works amazing in the rough stuff. I get mine from iro, they are great to work with, and will get you the exact shocks for you.
Unread 08-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #72
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
I run them on my 98 with great success. I can't say it ever bounces, yet they let it flex great. My 98 has rear sway bar but no front. I'm used to it and wouldn't have it any other way, works amazing in the rough stuff. I get mine from iro, they are great to work with, and will get you the exact shocks for you.
Think I'm going to order some, the more I look around the more & more people are unhappy with the newer bilsteins, and I've heard from multiple sources now that they're valving the new ones softer than before. I hear the dt8000's are a little on the stiff side, but I'd rather have a controllable rig that isn't bouncing off the bumpstops when I hit a 4" hole in the road (seriously). Suspension seats are getting higher and higher on the to-do list as I get more and more done anyway, even if these are a little rough I'm sure I'll be fine.

IRO's about the only place I can find them for sale now too. They still have the jeepforum discount available?

And thanks again, I appreciate your input
Unread 08-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #73
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

I think they do, I usually have 20 minute conversations with them lol. They are like a small business when dealing with them, very personal, and know their stuff. I wouldn't call them stiff at all. The only thing I've found the bilsteins to be better at is high speed little bumps, bilsteins devour those amazingly.
Unread 08-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #74
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Just got off the phone from calling Josh (IRO) and Kolak, and I find it funny that I'm getting two completely different opinions on how the bilsteins are in the rocks

I dont want to point fingers or anything, but one person blames it on the springs (which I've tried 3 different sets from 3 different manufacturers now, all with the same results more or less) and the other says the bilstein's don't do good in the slow stuff, and that the dt8000's are the way to go.

Needless to say I bought a set of dt8000's

I'll see how they go, may have a set of bilsteins up for sale
Unread 08-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #75
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Kolak sold me my brothers bilsteins as well. Personally I think it comes down to what he sells. The brands he sells are all the same shock with a different sticker, except bilsteins, in that case the bilsteins are the best. Iro sells the same stuff, but with the dt line. I was told that dt is the same as all the other cheap brand, but when you have them in your hand they aren't even close. If josh likes them better in the rocks, he knows as he runs pretty much only rocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.