Green ZJ, AKA: Jolly Green Giant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Green ZJ, AKA: Jolly Green Giant

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Green ZJ, AKA: Jolly Green Giant

Bruisers unmolested, not completely beat to hell, beautiful older brother.
AKA: Jolly Green Giant

I had a bunch of requests for a build thread so I'm going to put together what I have here, theres a bunch of stuff I skipped.

TEASERS:
Random progress pics from throughout this build

(6/26/12)

And as of 8/5/12

As of 10/17/2012
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...ps141976eb.jpg

5/20/2013 HD44, ultimate88 and wheels on

And here's how she came about. This is a work in progress, that I never expect to finish.

I'm just going to post all the pictures I have in somewhat of a chronological order, but some will be out, I'll do my best.

The night I bought her

2.5" BB & 31" guard dogs added (also started the short lived phase where I thought more stickers added HP)

My neighbor next to it for size reference

Started building sliders & a front bumper

Went mudding: Turning point at which I said I would never voluntarily go in mud again. Still cleaning it out from then to this day

Unread 06-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Started a rear bumper

not bad IMO for a $100 stick welder

finally started pulling those hideous stickers off...

Cleaned & painted the hood mat

Went up to 4.5", still on short arms and 31's

Trashed the whole passengers side of the zj at wellsville. Hard to tell but the pass door looks like a piece of bacon

IDK why I have this pic

bent the RE rear track bar bracket

Then at this point I think it was 3 or 4 trips with the club out I made it like 15 minutes and blew apart a front driveshaft or cv joint.

Swapped to ujoint driveshaft and axleshafts, and had the rear breather on the 44a come off and I must have had a seal leaking in the lp30 because I filled them both with silt/water the next trip out.

This is the point I said **** it, she's getting long arms, 35's and new axles.

Started ordering parts

35/12.5/15 kevlars

next to the 31" guarddogs

Unread 06-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Nice job advanced auto!

got an 8.8 out of the junk yard with 4.10's and limited slip, quickly took it down to the bar housing
Started building it

Swapping it in and getting the rear triangulated 4 link under her

rear bumps, just jk bumpers in delron I machined out, then just glued in bottom of spring

Rebuilt the steering box and tapped for hydro assist

Started working on the hp30 & 3 link

Love the way the truss came out

3 link crossmember

turd w/ hydro & gm tre's
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Got the turd & front 3 link on this past weekend, as well as painting the bumpers & rockers black, trimming everything, mounting winch, getting bumps & limits installed, and a bunch of other stuff. Here's the first day it was together.

Got the winch & stainless steel rollers installed

Minus a few odds and ends here's how she sits right now.

I have two custom driveshafts on their way
Next up is bracing the rest of the uniframe, and getting the custom skids done
Find/buy reamer for the gm tre's and get the hydro assist on
get and fab in a nice set of suspension seats
Possibly go to 5.5" lift (up from 4.5" now), I'd have to pull roof rails off to fit in garage though
After that is custom tube fenders (got some really unique ideas here I think you all will like)
Re-do the steps/rails on the rockers, I'd like them to 'angle up' a bit more and stick out another 3-4" to be even with the outside of the tires now.
Rear quarter armour
Tube doors for summer (although it'll probably get pushed to summer of 2013 now that summers already here)

Way down the line:
I'd like to do a cage similar to what rstrucks did

I also did a few guides/how to's you guys may be interested in:
How-to: [Possibly] Fix that leaky sunroof!
How-to: AC to OBA the dirty cheap way!
How-to: Refinish your hood mat

More random pictures I'm finding on the computer
Here's taking the 249 out and doing a hybrid 242/249 case with a few upgrades

Unread 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Reupholstered the headliner with digi-camo

Unread 06-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Subscribed. Looking great.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Thanks

More random pics I'm finding.
I don't remember this at all, aparently I was flexing it with a BB lol

Oh i forgot about this. I couldn't find a shifter bezel for a 242 for a zj, so i did some custom work. Replicated the 242 bezel indications in indesign at work, and printed on transparancy film, cut out and placed in the old bezel. I still have the file if anyone wants it

tcases torn apart

niner vents

stock
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

love the green, miss my old green zj

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Got any dimensions on that bumper? Need to buil one and would like to use your idea if ya don't mind
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Not off hand, its the "sketchup bumper" (aka: copy of kevins offroad front bumper)
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Subbed. That thing looks mean.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #12
steeleman3
1993 ZJ 

Subscribed. BTW I was about to ask for more info on the front bumper but you said it was the "sketchup" which I think I downloaded. Did you measure in the program or have a 3d cad program cut it? Looks nice, how did you mount/what did you use? Looks great. Gonna have my gf's dad help me with building one since he can weld good and idk how.
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Great build...
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

I think this is exactly what everyone was looking for. Thanks and subscribed
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L : 172,xxx miles, IRO 3.5" F>R lift, IRO Adjustable Control Arms, IRO Adjustable Track Bars, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Authority on Cragar V5's, Pavement Pounder until I get out of college :( ...Built Not Bought #650
Spend the Time and the Money the 1st Time, You'll End Up Doing it Anyway.
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Finally ordered a tapered reamer tonight for the new gm tre's
And drew up everything for the skids. Rest of the week after work I'll be working on getting them done. Saturday picking up my front driveshaft hopefully, and sat night our jeep club has a club meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleman3 View Post
Subscribed. BTW I was about to ask for more info on the front bumper but you said it was the "sketchup" which I think I downloaded. Did you measure in the program or have a 3d cad program cut it? Looks nice, how did you mount/what did you use? Looks great. Gonna have my gf's dad help me with building one since he can weld good and idk how.
Just measured them in sketchup, transfered to all 1/4" plate, and used a shear for 95% of the cuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.