The Greatest WJ Rebuild Thread of All Time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Greatest WJ Rebuild Thread of All Time

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Greatest WJ Rebuild Thread of All Time

I am so gonna catch He** over on the XJ forum for this, but I have always sort of wanted a Grand and with 5 XJ's in the shed I finally got one. Had to sell my 91 XJ project to get it and my wife and brother-in-law think I am insane but I see promise where others see disaster. Here is what I got.

1999 WJ with a 4.0 and substantial owwies.

I am such a sucker for lost causes.

The rear differential is literally shattered at the pumpkin and the control arm bracket is nearly torn off.

I will be asking a lot of questions here in the near future. BUT I GOT MY GRAND!!!

Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a fun project! The damage doesn't look that bad. It could always be worse.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

looks like a good project, can't wait to see how it turns out, what are your plans for it?

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Mudzilla6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
PCJona
2002 WJ 

ok so i wanna see this with a 4.7, limited interior/exterior black on black, HID's, Led interior lights, magnaflow exhaust and....

the rest doesnt matter

:]
PCJona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

diff pics when you get a chance...

subscribed!
WJChris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
GhostKnife

love to see it done
GhostKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Were they playing bumper cars with it? Lol

Can't wait to see what comes of this...

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got the Jeep home and started to asses the damage. The rear has had it.

The control arm mount is pretty messed up too.

Before I can really do anything I had to make it so I could move it around so I took the control arm loose at the axle and pulled it out of the fender with a ratchet strap.

That allowed me to get the spring back in place. It had been popped out and somehow wrapped around the shock mount.
Using a second strap to pull forward I have the axle sort of held in place and even though the shaft is broken inside, The brake caliper is holding things in so I can use 4 wheel to move the jeep forward and backward a few feet.

The Next step is to try to pull the Control Arm mount back into place. But first I will be setting a couple of deadmen to pull from. I have usually used the Phone Pole outside my shop as one anchor but the power company politely told me to "stop that" so I am going to set a couple of good pulling points on either side of my concrete drive.

Immediate plans are to just get this running and then see what goes from there. I am considering several rearend options including a ford 8.8
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
PDXCoug
2002 WJ 

You had to trade for that? What happened it to get it in such condition?
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

The ford 8.8 will be a bit narrow, you will need to get some 2" wheel spacers for it to be stock i believe. But with new brackets and the spacers for the wheels, you would be good.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't trade for this WJ. I sold my XJ to my neighbor to raise some cash to buy this one. Paid $1000 figure the parts are worth that much. Engine has 119,000 on it but runs smooth. Transfer case has a hefty leak, will be checking that soon. Interior is very nice, will post pics and description later.

PO was pretty vague about what happened to the WJ. Just said someone hit it in the rear. Funny how it went in under everything, took out the bumper cover, hit the tire and nothing else. Asked if the other driver had insurance and got some real funny looks. I think it got backed into something and there was no other car involved. At any rate, I have had some experience pulling out bent stuff so I thought I would give this a try. If it doesn't work I can always sell the parts for more than I paid.
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

Good Luck. Looks like you'll be having some fun
(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
K9-Handler

2005 WK 

SHOW ME THE CARFAX!!!

US Army, Viet Nam '70 - '71.
Learned to drive in a '53 Willys Wagon. 2nd vehicle: 1950 Jeepster.
K9-Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Today was moving day, that is I wanted to try to move the control arm mount back into place. First I had to create an anchor. I hooked a chain to an old bent truck wheel and buried it three feet deep.

Then I hooked the chain to the jeep frame. There was a convenient hole right in front of the frame damage so I used that one to anchor the jeep. On the other end I used a Ramsey 9000 winch hooked to my 1 Ton.

The first pull was on the end of the lower control arm because I could not get the bolt out with the bracket folded up the way it was. With the bolt removed I could pull each side of the bracket separately. I also used a ten ton porta power to push things sideways while I held pressure with the winch. When the inside ear of the bracket was about where I wanted it I did the same thing with the outside ear. I left things a little wider than they need to be for future fitting with the control arm in place.

both sides will need welded, but the inside of the frame has the worst tear.

A test fit showed that I moved the bracket pretty close to where it needs to be. The axle is broken and still pitched forward so I wont have a good guage on where things line up till I get a straight axle. It was late so I slapped the wheel on just to see then cleaned up for the night. At least there is a space now between the wheel well and the tire.
Unread 06-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #15
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

MMM, dually powerstroke
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.