grayWJ4x4's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 Old 03-02-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
grayWJ4x4

grayWJ4x4's Build Thread

New Edit.
My 2002 WJ build thread.

First it was the rims and tires, then came the lift kit. While I was ordering the kit I did upgrade to doetech 8000 (sp) shocks, Installed JKS quick release swaybar end links, Gabriel steering stabilizer, after that dropped off to my mechanic of twenty years to take care some much needed oil leaks issues.

Truck was dripping oil from the oil pan because of the torn gasket and a missing bolt so while he had the oil pan out changed the rear main seal, did the transmission service, I did change the TC oil couple of weeks back, rear axle bearings were making whining noise so I had him change those and while doing that discovered that pinion bearing starting to go bad so changed that too.

I also was feeling that front left hub was at the end of its life so I decided to get new hubs. While looking at eBay found a combination deal of hubs, front cross drilled rotors with ceramic brake pads so got those too.
Even though they looked good I had him change the front cv boots while he had it apart and service the front differential.

Oh while he was at the back of the truck he said the rear upper A arm bushings and the ball joint was shot so we changed those too

And since truck was acting squirrelly I went and ordered the entire set of front upper lower control arms and the rear lower control arms from core 4x4 (got the orange ones. )
They should be arriving in a couple of days.

And then...because I was having tail light issues I ordered a pair of smoked LED tail lights. They arrived today and work and look great.

Oh also I was in need of new floor mats so went and bought a set of universal weather tech mats. Just have to trim them a bit to fit perfectly.

So once the control arms installed I'll take it in for an alignment to line everything up and make the truck run as good as the day it came out of the factory.

By the way this thread is not a vent thread it just started as sound like one. Lol

So I just have a few more items to get for now and I'll be set for a while.
Wanna get a bull bar to install some lights, pair of sliders to protect the rocker panels and front double cardan drive shaft before my cv joint style craps out. Lol. And some kind of a tow hook or D ring set up for the front.

I also bought a rear tow hitch from the junkyard that came out of an 01 WJ. I just have to put it on.

So here are some pictures.

In my garage after I installed the lift kit.

Old hubs that came out of the truck. My guess is someone was to cheap to get some new ones because these have the dead giveaway of junkyard paint on the studs.

These rotors were just a few months old but they had to come out for the slotted drilled rotors.

Hard to see but there are the shiny ones peaking from behind the rim.

Front and rear axle covers with their new shiny paint. (White spots are the reflection of the flash.)

My new cool smoked taillights.

They are plenty visible even in daylight. This just the parking light not the brake.
I need to order the top third light because now it sticks like a sore thumb.

My un trimmed weather tech floor mats.

And the web found picture of the core control arms. I'll post a picture when I finally get and install them.

Well...this is it for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 03-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Factory front hub have the yellow paint on them. So they were probably originals
post #3 of 77 Old 03-03-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
grayWJ4x4

It's official...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnice View Post
Factory front hub have the yellow paint on them. So they were probably originals

So you are saying they put a junk crap on from the factory? lol J/K.

post #4 of 77 Old 03-03-2016, 12:40 PM
alfaitalia
2004 WJ 

They are 13 years old with lots (prob over 100,000 ...you don't say) miles on. They haven't done too bad especially as you live in an area that's not exactly salt/rust free from looking at the old parts and the tank skid on your Jeep!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!
post #5 of 77 Old 03-03-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
grayWJ4x4

It's official...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
They are 13 years old with lots (prob over 100,000 ...you don't say) miles on. They haven't done too bad especially as you live in an area that's not exactly salt/rust free from looking at the old parts and the tank skid on your Jeep!

You know I was kidding right? I live in Los Angeles. We don't have salt or rust around here.
What you are looking at is just some dirt mixed with a little surface rust and that's it.
Oh and the hubs had 151k miles on them.
post #6 of 77 Old 03-03-2016, 01:14 PM
alfaitalia
2004 WJ 

Gotcha!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!
post #7 of 77 Old 03-29-2016, 01:20 PM
crusher8101

Great looking rig. Those orange parts: got a link to where you got those?
And, Yeah, you've put some real money into that truck!
post #8 of 77 Old 03-29-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
grayWJ4x4

It's official...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher8101 View Post
Great looking rig. Those orange parts: got a link to where you got those?
And, Yeah, you've put some real money into that truck!

Thank you.
Yeah it did cost waaaayyy above what I wanted to spend for it, and I'm not done spending yet.

Here is the link for the core website.

http://www.core4x4.com

And a few more pix.

New calipers.

Control arms.

New to me front drive shaft.

And
Everything put together out in the wild last Sunday. Lol.

post #9 of 77 Old 03-29-2016, 04:27 PM
fdavidson
2000 WJ 

Nice job on the build! Don't feel too bad about dumping all the money in though, figure that most of what you replaced won't need replacement again for quite some time. It's a good investment to change out what you did anyway especially with a lift

2000 WJ Limited / 4.7L V8 / NV247 QD / OME 3" Lift + Fox Shocks
post #10 of 77 Old 03-29-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
grayWJ4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdavidson View Post
Nice job on the build! Don't feel too bad about dumping all the money in though, figure that most of what you replaced won't need replacement again for quite some time. It's a good investment to change out what you did anyway especially with a lift

Oh I'm not worried but I feel like I'll be swapping things out again in very near future. Especially the shocks. The deuschtech 8000s are horrible and might even go with the higher lift with long arms.
post #11 of 77 Old 03-29-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
grayWJ4x4

It's official...

I forgot to post the rusty's adjustable track bar. IRC track bar that came with the lift kit didn't really fit that well so after reading a few reviews I decided to go with the rusty's.
It is just massive.
post #12 of 77 Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 PM
jabutler23
1999 WJ 

Garage
What lift did you get?
post #13 of 77 Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
grayWJ4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabutler23 View Post
What lift did you get?

Iron rock three inch kit.
post #14 of 77 Old 03-29-2016, 10:02 PM
jabutler23
1999 WJ 

Garage
Awesome how does it ride? I ordered the same kit and am planning on installing it this weekend.

1999 WJ limited - 4.7 V8 - 247 quadradrive - IRO 3" - Moog SS - 245/70/16 Open Country
post #15 of 77 Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
grayWJ4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabutler23 View Post
Awesome how does it ride? I ordered the same kit and am planning on installing it this weekend.

This is no joke but because of the deuschtech (sp) shocks it rides like crap. Have you ever seen a low rider on the freeway? It is beyond harsh. I've owned many, many, many cars including several sports cars from factory or after custom builds none of them rode this rough.
I've read on many other posts that they ride firm but I wasn't expecting this. Kept saying can't be that bad. Well...it actually is.
I hope you didn't get them and if you did return them before you instal it. Upgrading to blisteins can't be more than a couple of hundred bucks or maybe even less.
I'll be ordering the blisteins or the adjustable ranchos very soon.

I know firm shocks are suppose to be better for off roading but these are just too firm.
I think they could be great if you are doing slow rock crawling since they won't let any of the energy get absorbed in to the suspension and transfer all the power to the ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.