Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
27K views 461 replies 23 participants last post by  DeansWings 
#1 ·
-New edit-

Grand Slam Texas main event is set for the weekend of October 19th 2013 at Hidden Falls.
http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/offroad.html

We will be having pre-run at Hidden Falls the weekend of April 20th.

We encourage you to bring your family and friends, it should be a good time.
We are also still looking for trail leaders, planners, sponsors, ect.

We are inviting Grand Cherokee/and Cherokees or any unibody jeeps. We wouldn't mind having some waggys join us as well. No offence to all the wrangler owners, its just that most jeep events are dominated by the wrangler. However the pre-run is open to all.

We will be having a giveaway for a set of wj Bushwacker fender flares at the main event.
Notch Customs should be joining us as well and might share some goodies too.
We are working on gaining a few more sponsors before the main event comes.

A group of us decided we would like to see a "Grand Slam Texas" annually here in Texas.
We started this thread to see if we could gain a little more interest.
If your interested please post.
We would like to know what you think and what you would like to see come out of this event.
We welcome any input, ideas or questions.

Be sure to join our Facebook group too-
http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups/173929869420792?ref=bookmark&__user=100000454207551

What is a "Grand Slam"?
No its not just a Dennys breakfast meal.
Here is a example of GSW (Grand Slam west)- http://gsw.mallcrawlin.com/

Alternate links for "Grand Slam Texas"
http://www.lsjc.org/board/showthread.php?63300-Grand-Slam-Texas
http://www.forbiddenjeeps.com/showthread.php/2794-Grand-Slam-Texas
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?25267-GRAND-SLAM-TEXAS&highlight=grand+slam+texas

See less See more
#2 ·
It's definitely gonna happen... Just a matter of 'when'

#7 ·
Anyone a avid member of lone star jeep club wanna post over to their forum? I'm a member, but not that active so it may be better if someone with a little more recognition does it.

#10 ·
Man, I've read about Palo Duro Canyon on I think mabe jeep jamboree and the pictures look awesome.
It's a private ranch if I'm correct and only open for events?

#11 ·
palo duro is on private land and as of right now there is only two events open to the public jeep jamboree and the jeep challenge. both hosted by the jeep club here in amarillo, it is pretty awesome down in the canyons. this weekend is the last wheeling trip of the year in the canyons. let me know next year a couple months before the jeep jamboree at palo duro and i can get you in as a ride along. we generally have 3 "work" trips before each event.

#13 ·
Deanswings hit me up to join here and get involved in Grand Slam Texas. I know of several people that would be interested.
I would suggest Hidden Falls based on the size of the park, the facilities, located centrally in the state, and the amount of trails they have for beginner to extreme. Nice campgrounds, and also plenty of places to stay & eat in Marble Falls. The owner would prob give a cut rate on a weekend of wheeling if you can get enough rigs.
I have been trail guiding the Wheeling for the Wounded events and going to the 4Wheelparts events for years, and they give a discount rate for the weekend for them, and provide those that want to arrive on Friday night a gate code to enter. We generally pay $75-$85 for the weekend. I would contact the owner & see what type of minimum rig number we would need and what type of discount he would give.
After May, its starts getting to hot to wheel and the park gets really dry & dusty.
If anyone wants to see pics or vids from there, check out my FB page.
http://www.facebook.com/john.bumgardner.5/posts/528469577178478?ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment#!/john.bumgardner.5

#21 ·
Yea, cnolen did but everyone wanted to talk about Dennys

#22 ·
I vote for hidden falls (or another in the area) as well due to the central location and would totally be down to make the drive. A date would be nice too though. I read something about December but to get a lot of people there I was thinking maybe in spring would be a little better just so it has time to be properly planned and conditions would be more favorable than deep winter.

But then again we can just turn on our heated seats...

#23 ·
I vote for hidden falls (or another in the area) as well due to the central location and would totally be down to make the drive. A date would be nice too though. I read something about December but to get a lot of people there I was thinking maybe in spring would be a little better just so it has time to be properly planned and conditions would be more favorable than deep winter.

But then again we can just turn on our heated seats...
We will be having a "prerun" Dec 15th to get the feel for things and to help plan for the bigger event next year.

#24 ·
Just spitballing here, but I think April would be a good month, not too hot yet, hopefully some rainfall to keep the dust down and make the trails more interesting. There are alot of events in May that may cut into attendance. Hidden Fallls will have the Wheeling for the Wounded event the first weekend of May, then usually have all the Memorial Day runs that month too. Plus if we are one of the first events of the year it could help attendence. It gives us about 6 months to put the event together and get word out.
I can put a feeler post on LSJC and try to hit up some of the sponsors. Also, we should concentrate on vendors that offer parts for Grands, as not all of them do. I can talk to my buddy @ Artec and also my vendor that manufactures my LED lightbars.
I'm sure Hidden Falls will work with us on pricing if we can get a decent ball park figure on participants. Maybe even come up with a cause or charity to donate some of the proceeds to to sweeten the deal. I think a weekend of camping, wheeling, and an event T-shirt for around $100 is a smoking deal.

#25 ·
If it is a central location, I'd love to come out and participate. I think march/April sounds like a great idea. The temp is right, gives plenty of time to plan, and of course we can all get some more wrenching in.

#26 ·
Only problem I've seen with events in March & April was Springbreak & Easter interferring with schedules and funds.
I'll be @ Hidden Falls for WFTW the first of May, and a pre-run a few weeks before that in April. Other than that, my schedule is wide open before June.

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
I'm down for Hidden Falls, but the weather in September could be a crap shoot. The last 2 years of the 4Wheelparts events on Labor Day there have been dry, dusty, & miserably hot.

#32 ·
Its going to be hard to get a firm comittment from people that far in advance (Almost a year from now, most won't commit till a month or two before anyway). Especially with the economy and another election between now & then. Most events I see posted are usually 2-3 months out unless it is something that is held annually, then that is a given. The firm comittments from most will be 1-2 months before the event. 6 months should be plenty of time to put this together, and more likely for people to have the funds to do it right after income tax time.
Just my 2 cents worth, and speaking from previous experience planning events like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.