Grand Cherokee Model Year Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Grand Cherokee Model Year Advice

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
kungfubhuda

Grand Cherokee Model Year Advice

Hello all!

I'm looking for some advice on buying a Grand Cherokee. My wife has a 2014 Cherokee, and we love it, but I'd like something a little bigger for myself. So, I'm thinking about trading in my 08 Acura TSX and upgrading to a used Grand Cherokee. I want something used to save a few bucks, and also, I won't feel bad if I get a few scrapes in day to day use. Are there any specific model years that you recommend? Any years to avoid? Any other comparable SUV's that I should check out?

A few years ago, I had an old Wrangler YJ, and found out the hard way that there can be significant changes in model year.

Anyway, I'm looking for something that:
  • Accommodates my size - I'm 6'4. It would be nice to have a straight view out the windshield (instead of staring down at the roof/hood)
  • Does well in snow
  • Reliable
  • Costs somewhere from in the ballpark of $12-20k
  • 08 or newer - <100k miles

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

kungfubhuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Ive sat and rode in every grand cherokee before.. and oddly (dont know if its personal preference or not), but my favorite is the WJ for some reason. The 2005+ seem cheap on the inside, and its either a mini van motor or the hemi. I like my 2004 just cause its got the really good motor and the interior is still nice and rounded. But if your looking for a 2008 or newer, ive heard overlands are the ones people usually want. Ive never owned a WK though, so im not much help lol
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Out of all the Grand Cherokees 1993-present Id have to say up until the WKII the WJ was the best of the bunch. It was modern, had a modern power plant (2 if you count the 4.7 and 4.7 HO), and was the last of its breed equipped as close as you could get to a wrangler but with comfort (D30/D44a solid axles, 4.0, 42re as opposed to the 32rh, and the 242J/HD instead of the 231) The ZJ was a leftover design from the AMC days meant to be the next Cherokee and put together with Chrysler parts so there were teething issues. As for the WK series (and im sorry WK guys) id avoid them at all costs. Mercedes parts bin sharing coupled with Diamler penny pinching led to the interiors taking a step back, a underpowered 3.7 engine, and the loss of the solid front axle. One could argue from a design standpoint the WK 2 picks up where the WJ left off.

The WK2 seems to be a great Grand Cherokee. The only downside to the 11-13 models being no 8 speed transmission. Both engine choices are sound and for once you're not penalized going with the base 6 cylinder and its optional on every trim but SRT-8. Look for a limited or if you can find one for a decent price check out the Overland.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

If this means anything to you either..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM

Well said Cirrusly
Unread 11-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
projectblackred

Based on what you want your pretty much just trying to look for the right wk. so just go look at your local dealerships see what kind of deal you can get
projectblackred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
kungfubhuda

Thanks for the input. I'll go test drive a few and look for a good deal. Maybe I'll check out some older models too if they're built better.
Unread 11-14-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Whoa now, I wouldn't go that far. To be honest the WK2 is far better built than any of the previous models, its just the older ones are more mechanical when it comes to their operation vs. the 05 and up series which is more electronic dependent.

I don't have traction control and that's the ways I likes it!
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
kungfubhuda

For anyone curious, I ended up going with a 2012 V6 Laredo with a couple of nice features, namely the Quadra Trac 2 and Tow package.

So far I really like it, other than the baffling lack of Bluetooth and USB input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.