Grand Cherokee door hinge area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Grand Cherokee door hinge area

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
dynosaur
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Grand Cherokee door hinge area

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee and for the life of me I can't figure out how the front door is supposed to stay open. The driver door just free swings. There is no "door check" device or any other catch that I can find. The driver door hinge area looks exactly like the passenger side. The only difference is that the passenger side works. The door is not sprung and all body lines are good. The hinges do not appear to be worn. Any ideas or thoughts about what else I should check?? Thanks

dynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
dynosaur
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know how the door check system is supposed to work on a GC? Anybody?
Unread 01-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Jeep32
2002 WJ 

They are indeed called "door check straps" your doors should have them. Here is some pictures online where I have circled where they should be attached and what one looks like. These pictures are supposedly taken of a 2005 JGC door. As to why your passenger door doesnt have one, Im not sure. Could be broken too, but less noticeable because the passenger door isn't used as often as the driver and the hinges haven't worn out from the excessive stress. Feel along the door, is there an opening to no where? We have cars come in with broken check straps that retract back into the door itself.
maxresdefault.jpg  
t2ec16vhjike9qu3kiwbbqknycl-sw-60_35.jpg

Unread 01-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
dynosaur
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly my doors do not have the check strap. No holes, no place where one would bolt up. This is true for all 4 doors. 3 of the doors function just fine but the driver door just free swings. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a spring or something built into the hinges? All 4 door hinges look exactly the same. I may have to take it to a body shop and ask them.
I don't think that picture is of an 05 GC. It may be an 04 or earlier. I can find door checks for earlier models but not for 05 and up.
Unread 01-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
dynosaur
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I checked inside the wiring harness boot just in case it was hidden. Not there.
Unread 01-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
MoonyJohn
Mallcrawler

2004 WJ 

It makes no sense that your jeep has no checks, I know wranglers dont have them, but this seems strange?
Unread 02-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
dynosaur
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Believe me it doesn't. I have looked everywhere. I think the door "stops" are built into the lower hinge. It must be internal to the hinge. I plan to take the door off soon to check. I will let yall know. I'm pretty sure that the 05-at least 09 GC's are like this.
Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.