Grand Cherokee CRD - Transmission Fluid Change -

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
2008 WK 
Grand Cherokee CRD - Transmission Fluid Change

Has anyone seen any "how-to" tutorials on changing the transmission fluid in an '08 CRD? I'm planning to do this on my recently purchased CRD (just in case the previous owner wasn't as nice to it as I plan to be). I just want to make sure I'm not missing something since I've never done a fluid change on a transmission with the auto/shift feature.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM
2014 JK Wrangler 
I have done plenty of repairs and servicing myself, but never serviced an auto box. Watched a few vids on youtube and read up on it a little. I have a 2003 V8 Grand and I'm looking at doing the same thing.

I'll see what I can find out from some aussies with oil burners.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM
FCA Customer Care
I think the biggest problem is checking the fluid level.
From the service manual:

To avoid overfilling transmission after a fluid change or overhaul, perform the following procedure:

1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
3. Add following initial quantity of MoparŪ ATF +4, Automatic Transmission Fluid, to the transmission:a. If only fluid and filter were changed, add 5.0 L (10.6pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.
b. If the transmission was completely overhauled or the torque converter was replaced or drained, add 7.7 L (16.3 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.

4. Check the transmission fluid (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - NAG1/FLUID and FILTER - Standard Procedure) and adjust as required.

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Automatic - NAG1 / FLUID and FILTER/Standard Procedure

Special Tools:

9336A - Dipstick

1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.

WARNING: Risk of accident from vehicle starting off by itself when engine running. Risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is started or when it is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving off by itself. Wear properly fastened and close-fitting work clothes. Do not touch hot or rotating parts.

3. Actuate the service brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling
5. Warm up the transmission, wait at least two minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push Oil Dipstick 9336A into the transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary.

NOTE: The dipstick protrudes from the fill tube when installed.

6. Check the transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.

NOTE: The true transmission oil temperature can only be read by a scan tool in Reverse or any forward gear position.
7. With the transmission in “P”, determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct.
8. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
9. Once the oil level is correct, install the dipstick tube cap.
Attached Thumbnails
3.0L TURBO DIESEL WH XH NAG1 FILL CHART.jpg   W5A580 Fluid Fill.jpg  
post #4 of 7 Old 04-23-2013, 12:36 PM
I found this thread pretty helpful for this too ...

especially getting the temperature reading on a budget

In my quest for NAG1 information I also found this link on the forums here.

and within it this which is extremely helpful with pics:

Last edited by NameLikeNoOther; 04-30-2013 at 02:25 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 10:21 AM
2008 WK 
I am sure it's me, but the two charts linked above are a bit confusing. For a 2008 CRD which should I be using?

2008 CRD GC
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM
can we use Sprinter parts? I compared the prices and the Sprinter parts are way cheaper than Jeep. I've ordered from Europarts before for my fuel filter and glow plugs and see they have a tranny change kit....

sold - 2005 Liberty Limited CRD, 22G Package, Atlantic Blue, fully loaded.
2007 Grand Cherokee Limited Diesel 4x4
post #7 of 7 Old 10-06-2016, 06:43 AM
2006 WK 
I read the temperatures by my Android phone using the following device & application combination:

Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 scanner

Torq Android App

Costs < $10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.