Grand Cherokee CRD - Transmission Fluid Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Grand Cherokee CRD - Transmission Fluid Change

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Diesel25
2008 WK 

Grand Cherokee CRD - Transmission Fluid Change

Has anyone seen any "how-to" tutorials on changing the transmission fluid in an '08 CRD? I'm planning to do this on my recently purchased CRD (just in case the previous owner wasn't as nice to it as I plan to be). I just want to make sure I'm not missing something since I've never done a fluid change on a transmission with the auto/shift feature.

Thanks!

Dsl

Diesel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
timbotrog
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have done plenty of repairs and servicing myself, but never serviced an auto box. Watched a few vids on youtube and read up on it a little. I have a 2003 V8 Grand and I'm looking at doing the same thing.

I'll see what I can find out from some aussies with oil burners.

Cheers
Tim
timbotrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
JeepCares

I think the biggest problem is checking the fluid level.
From the service manual:

TRANSMISSION FILL
To avoid overfilling transmission after a fluid change or overhaul, perform the following procedure:

1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
3. Add following initial quantity of MoparŪ ATF +4, Automatic Transmission Fluid, to the transmission:a. If only fluid and filter were changed, add 5.0 L (10.6pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.
b. If the transmission was completely overhauled or the torque converter was replaced or drained, add 7.7 L (16.3 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.

4. Check the transmission fluid (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - NAG1/FLUID and FILTER - Standard Procedure) and adjust as required.

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Automatic - NAG1 / FLUID and FILTER/Standard Procedure
CHECK OIL LEVEL

Special Tools:

9336A - Dipstick

1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.

WARNING: Risk of accident from vehicle starting off by itself when engine running. Risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is started or when it is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving off by itself. Wear properly fastened and close-fitting work clothes. Do not touch hot or rotating parts.

3. Actuate the service brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling
5. Warm up the transmission, wait at least two minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push Oil Dipstick 9336A into the transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary.

NOTE: The dipstick protrudes from the fill tube when installed.

6. Check the transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.

NOTE: The true transmission oil temperature can only be read by a scan tool in Reverse or any forward gear position.
7. With the transmission in “P”, determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct.
8. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
9. Once the oil level is correct, install the dipstick tube cap.
3.0l-turbo-diesel-wh-xh-nag1-fill-chart.jpg   w5a580-fluid-fill.jpg  
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
NameLikeNoOther

I found this thread pretty helpful for this too ...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/p...check-1135591/

especially getting the temperature reading on a budget

In my quest for NAG1 information I also found this link on the forums here.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ssion-faq.html

and within it this which is extremely helpful with pics:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ion-fluid.html

Last edited by NameLikeNoOther; 04-30-2013 at 02:25 PM..
NameLikeNoOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

I am sure it's me, but the two charts linked above are a bit confusing. For a 2008 CRD which should I be using?
Unread 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
brewcider

can we use Sprinter parts? I compared the prices and the Sprinter parts are way cheaper than Jeep. I've ordered from Europarts before for my fuel filter and glow plugs and see they have a tranny change kit....
http://europarts-sd.com/2002-2009aut...ekit-fuchs.asp

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.