Going to be 5 degrees Tuesday morning, anything I can do to prep? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Going to be 5 degrees Tuesday morning, anything I can do to prep?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Closed Thread
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #31
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

5 degrees? You guys having a heat wave? I went and filled the wife's Explorer with gas earlier, and it was already zero, and it's supposed to be -20 at 8am. If nothing starts I guess we'll go back to bed and try again the next day.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #32
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

its - 18 now and what i do to prep it is very complicated and demanding but i will share it with you

start it in neutral and leave it there for 10 minutes to warm
Unread 01-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #33
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
its - 18 now and what i do to prep it is very complicated and demanding but i will share it with you

start it in neutral and leave it there for 10 minutes to warm
Don't.. it's better to leave it idle for a only a little while and then start driving. Keep it on low revs though, don't exceed around 2.5-3k until the engine is at operating temps. I'd take it easy in very cold anyways, shocks etc. tend to go do funky things when it's -20* outside The coldest I've started my XJs or the ZJ has been around -25*F, without a block heater. With good battery/ starter cables and a good battery, it's not a problem. Use full synthetic oil, and check to see 50/50 coolant mixture.

Other than that? Wake up, drink your cup of coffee, go to Jeep, start it and drive, enjoy trouble-free, warm miles. At least these things warm up and stay warm, unlike newer vehicles especially on this side of the ocean.. try keeping a 1.4 litre VW Golf that gets 40+MPG warm in sub-zero temps. It won't Diesels are even worse..

If you're doing a lot of city driving, and not long stretches where the engine compartment warms up, your battery will be very cold and not happy to recharge. In that case, you may end up with a dead battery surprisingly quickly.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 01-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #34
jeepjeepster

Its funny when people start talking about wind chill, no one really has a clue.

All its doing is removing the heat quicker. So yes, it affects anything thats warmer than the air temp.
Unread 01-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #35
dmak04
1994 ZJ 

I'm here in utah and have had some pretty cold mornings (not quite - 35, coldest has been -10) and my zj has had a few rough starts. One exceptionally cold, icy morning it took a set of jumper cables and a heat gun and about an hour to convince her to fire up. I replaced the battery and starting coil and haven't had nearly as many issues. Pumping/burying the gas pedal also helps in the cold mornings
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #36
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

LOL...

Wind Chill is absolutely a valid concern.. my fuzzy slippers aren't Goretex lined. My Gramp's told me so..

Unread 01-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #37
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Its funny when people start talking about wind chill, no one really has a clue.

All its doing is removing the heat quicker. So yes, it affects anything thats warmer than the air temp.
For inanimate objects (like Jeeps), the effect of wind chill is to reduce any warmer objects to the ambient temperature more quickly. It cannot, however, reduce the temperature of these objects below the ambient temperature, no matter how great the wind velocity.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #38
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
For inanimate objects (like Jeeps), the effect of wind chill is to reduce any warmer objects to the ambient temperature more quickly. It cannot, however, reduce the temperature of these objects below the ambient temperature, no matter how great the wind velocity.
^- This exactly.

However, even though windchill doesn't reduce temps any lower than ambient temp. is, it can cause issues at times due to the fact increased windspeed causes quicker heat dissipation, which in turn causes machinery not to stay within operating temp range. We've had this happen many times at my workplace with equipment having long, exposed hydraulic lines, when equally cold temps under calm weather don't cause any issues.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #39
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Guess it's common sense to have your defroster on after running for a few minutes so the air will heat up slowly on a frozen windshield. I learned the hard way years ago on our 93 XJ where a small chip in the windshield turned into a crack across the whole windshield when pouring hot air to it after warm up with almost an inch of ice on the outside.

If you have summer blend windshield washer in your reservoir/lines you best drain it out since it will freeze in these cold temps. A typical winter blend washer fluid has 30-40% methanol in it which keeps it from freezing.

Just curious how others unfreeze doors iced shut? I'll typically just use a half-warm water to pour around the door/outside latch button while being careful to not let it hit glass. Of course it's just going to freeze over again in using water. May try my new heat gun today to thaw them out. I do apply silicone to all the door/hatch rubber seals which helps a lot.

Here in Ohio we don't get the cold temps others up North do but it's supposed to be -12 by midnight tonight.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #40
bjorn17
1996 ZJ 

I have seen a professional AA guy use a regular heat gun in the area of the lock/latch on the door. A few minutes and everything was ice free inside and outside. Just place your hand next to the metal where you give heat to avoid paint damage.

B.
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #41
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Don't.. it's better to leave it idle for a only a little while and then start driving. Keep it on low revs though, don't exceed around 2.5-3k until the engine is at operating temps. I'd take it easy in very cold anyways, shocks etc. tend to go do funky things when it's -20* outside The coldest I've started my XJs or the ZJ has been around -25*F, without a block heater. With good battery/ starter cables and a good battery, it's not a problem. Use full synthetic oil, and check to see 50/50 coolant mixture.

Other than that? Wake up, drink your cup of coffee, go to Jeep, start it and drive, enjoy trouble-free, warm miles. At least these things warm up and stay warm, unlike newer vehicles especially on this side of the ocean.. try keeping a 1.4 litre VW Golf that gets 40+MPG warm in sub-zero temps. It won't Diesels are even worse..

If you're doing a lot of city driving, and not long stretches where the engine compartment warms up, your battery will be very cold and not happy to recharge. In that case, you may end up with a dead battery surprisingly quickly.
Explain. I like to warm mine up in neutral. This is bad??

Build thread^^
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #42
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Most of the wear happens to a motor on start up when the oil has settled to the bottom. Idling the motor doesn't circulate the oil very well. Driving it slowly gets the oil gets the oil warm faster and circulated which means less wear and tear at start up.
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #43
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldGold

Nope, near Philadelphia. Is that a normal prediction for Atlanta? Seems a little low...
Gonna be a record if it hits it. Gonna be 0 where I am at it the mountains.
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #44
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Explain. I like to warm mine up in neutral. This is bad??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Most of the wear happens to a motor on start up when the oil has settled to the bottom. Idling the motor doesn't circulate the oil very well. Driving it slowly gets the oil gets the oil warm faster and circulated which means less wear and tear at start up.
^- That.

***Under construction***
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #45
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

with a decent battery you will be fine at +5

this weekend we were -25F (air temp) windchill was into the -60's F; the 1991 xj with 209k on the ticker was starting just fine without being plugged in or anything
if you are hyper worried i'd get a block heater in it and plug that in
Closed Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.