GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing- - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing-

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 09-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #121
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ View Post
Where did you buy your 8 ton air ram for $45? I'm probably going to be getting a tube bender and will need one also, how do you like yours so far?

Ebay. There are a one out there now cheap. Havnt mounted it yet. Been lazy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Ton-Air-Ma...cbb400&vxp=mtr

gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #122
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Decided to ditch the YJ skid plate and build a new belly skid and trans support.

The skid is 1/4" plate with 2"x1" 1/4" U chanel and the trans support is 2"x4" 1/4".

2x4 cut to length and all holes drilled in it.

Notched out were trans mount goes since if I dont the top of it hits tunnel. Dropped it an 1 3/4" ish. The piece I cut out with the plasma I flipped over and welded in the cutout.

Welded U channel to front and back of trans mount to mount the skid too.

Cut Plate with plasma. Used the U channel as a guide.

Welded little lips on back of skid.

Pic of finished trans mount.

Mostly finished skid

Ended up having to cut a square out under the TC since it was hitting the skid. Cut a small square out. Welded 1/4" 1 1/2" angle iron to the front and rear of the opening. Then welded 1/4" plate between the angle iron and a smaller piece of 1/4" plate to that. So there is 1/2" right under the very bottom of the TC. Then added 1/4" uprights to support the sides.

There is 2 more U channel pieces running across the center and rear of the skid.

All said and done gained overall 4" of clearance.

Old TJ skid installed. It served its purpose well and got beat to hell.

Unread 09-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #123
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Wired up in cab winch control. Covered lighted safety power switch to turn it on and double throw switch to operate the winch. My winch already had a 4way trailer connector coming out of it from the factory for this purpose.

Unread 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #124
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just found me 4 doors off a part out WJ gonna be chopping them up like you did! I may be sending you several PM's on the "how to" process
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #125
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ View Post
I just found me 4 doors off a part out WJ gonna be chopping them up like you did! I may be sending you several PM's on the "how to" process
Sweet. I got a couple sets in the garage I need to get cutting up. I'll try to answer you questions for ya if you get any.
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #126
Scurv14
2000 WJ 

just looked through your thread! impressed! love all the things you have done. very creative. cant wait to start my build!
Scurv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #127
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Thanks. I like to try different builds to do to my jeep. I do get ideas from others and other forums too. Trans and oil pan skid are in work now.

Side note I was stationed down at Shaw in Sumter a few years back.
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #128
ARdirty
2001 WJ 

Let me know when youd like me to head up from NC to work on my skids, bumpers, sliders, and cut fenders >:]
ARdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #129
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

LOL, you coming up for a week?
Unread 10-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #130
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Had some metal left over from my belly skid so I made a oil and trans pan skids. The oil pan skid looks likes AEV's. The Trans is custom.

I also welded in a drain plug and put one of those quick release drain plugs.

I had some dents in rust on my trans pan so after I drained it I pushed the dents out, wire wheeled the rust off, Welded the drain plug in, then primed/painted it.

Just gotta make diff guards and the bottom should be protected.

The Oil skid is bolted to the lower two flywheel shield bolts and and one on the side to existing threaded holes up on the side of the block. I notched out the part where I can get to the drain plug without removing the skid.

The trans pan skid sandwiches the brace I had already welded to the trans support I built before. Then it has a upright brace on the front that stops the front from getting pushed up.

And a couple more of the trans support and belly skid.

Unread 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #131
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Went to an estate sale on Wed in Columbus OH (a little over an hour away) and saw a couple LED light bars (3). They were 40" and have 80 LEDs. They looked just like the one I put on my friend wrangler that he got from Rigid Industries. There is no markings on them So I dont know who made them. They were tagged $400 each. No boxes, instructions just lights, switches and harnesses.

They wouldn't let me test them there so i was unsure about them. When I was leaving the guy that worked there said I could leave a bid on them and if they didn't sell I could get them for the bid. So I put in a bid on them of $200 each ($600 for all).

Well got a call a call this afternoon saying they accepted my bid on two of them and come and get them. Hauled my butt there and told the guy I wanted to test them before I paid and he let me. He said the third one went for $300. They both lit up and I handed him the money and off I went.

I'll have too see what the light output is tonight. They are petty heavy and seem well made with glass covering the LEDS. The have weather seal connectors and lighted switches. The housing is finned and appears to be cast aluminum as are the mounting legs.

Now if I can just find a high pinion 44 I'd be happy.

Here are some pics of them.

Unread 10-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #132
Rockhauler68
2003 WJ 

just read your build love the mods, is that a stock rear drive shaft? i see your not running a sye i though you would need one for 6 inchs and long arms. Getting ready to do my lift and trying to finish all my research before i take it apart.Thanks Nice rig!
Rockhauler68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #133
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Thanks. Just picked up some 1" tub to make anew roof rack.

I had the stock 4.0 rear shaft until a couple weeks ago when I swapped a 242HD TC in then the 4.0 shaft was too long. I used a stock V8 shaft that I got with the 242HD.

I had no problems with the stock shaft and would have still been using it if not for the swap.
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #134
ARdirty
2001 WJ 

I thought 1" would be a bit large for tubing for a rack. But I haven't purchased any yet. Why'd you go with 1" over 3/4"?
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #135
ARdirty
2001 WJ 

Ps. Got this today for 50$ so im fabbing up some brackets tonight to put it on. you're the only one I've seen integrate a winch into there and saw you used another bumper to attach it? Mind giving me pointers along the way as I try to do the same?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.