GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing- - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing-

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #106
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
How much weight do you think you can put on your homemade hitch? Not that I tow alot with a 4.0, it's nice to know I can tow a car-hauler and someone else junk if it breaks down. Also, when I see the holes through the uniframefor the fuel lines, does this not weaken the uniframe a bit in this area and may need to add a bit of flat steel to reenforce this area?
what did you do to "cover" the hole above you gastank? You lifted yours quite high it seems compared to some others I've seen.

So far I am loving all your mods and your DIY work, Ours is a dd so it's hard for me to do this kind of work to it, but if it was not, I would be all over this!
Not sure the rating I would give my hitch. I think it is at least as strong as the factory one.

The fuel lines run through 3/8' pipe that is welded into the uni-frame.

Don't think its weakens the uni-frame at all. The tube is thicker than the uni-frame around it.

The hole where the spare tire carrier was is covered by 1/8 sheet metal.

Thanks for the comments. Mine was a daily driver until about 6 months ago when I retired. It still gets driven quit a bit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike300 View Post
I seen in another thread that you have air horns with a work pull cord, id like to see how you have that hooked up im very interested in this now.

The air runs up the back drivers qtr panel to the inside of the roof then under the head liner to above the drivers door. That is where the pull cord and air switch are. Then it runs back the same way then out the rubber grommet behind tail light. Up the rear hatch to the roof rack rail to the front of the rack where its attached to the horns.

I'll get ya some pics tomorrow.

gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #107
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACLYNzj98 View Post
I love how you made the rails, That looks like it would be perfect for my OBA tank rails. Even if it doesn't work to be tanks it still looks amazing on the Jeep and would definitely help save your from rocks and stuff! Also love the rock lights! You put a whole new meaning to underglow on a vehicle!
Jackie

Thanks. I drilled and tapped holes in them to attach them to the pinch seams so I don't think mine would hold air. But if you attached them differently it could work. Also you would have to figure a way to put a drain valve or plug in them too. They would build condensation overtime.

The rock lights are pretty bright. Gunna be changing them over to LED light strips soon.

Keep up the good work on yours.
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #108
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
Not sure the rating I would give my hitch. I think it is at least as strong as the factory one.

The fuel lines run through 3/8' pipe that is welded into the uni-frame.

Don't think its weakens the uni-frame at all. The tube is thicker than the uni-frame around it.

The hole where the spare tire carrier was is covered by 1/8 sheet metal.

Thanks for the comments. Mine was a daily driver until about 6 months ago when I retired. It still gets driven quit a bit though.

The air runs up the back drivers qtr panel to the inside of the roof then under the head liner to above the drivers door. That is where the pull cord and air switch are. Then it runs back the same way then out the rubber grommet behind tail light. Up the rear hatch to the roof rack rail to the front of the rack where its attached to the horns.

I'll get ya some pics tomorrow.
Once i boat side mine i plan on running mine lines through some type of tubing, im thinking pvc, attached to the underbody some how. Yea i wanted to do an air horn but havent decided on a the switch yet. Pics would be awesome thanks

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #109
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Had a busy weekend. Went to my wife's grandfathers funeral on Sat and her mothers funeral on Sun.

Today got to hit up a couple junk yards since it was 50% off weekend. Found a couple things. A 242HD out of a 2000 V8 Laredo and the driveshaft. 50% off and 10% military discount.

It cycles fine. Need to crack it open and check it out. Also see if I need to swap the input shafts.

The parts fiche's for 00-03 show a 242(4.0 code ERO and 4.7 code EVO). All 4 fiche's show the same TC chain p/n for the EVO and is different from the ERO. Also, the EVO was a V8 option only. So it is a HD 242. Yeah! Links imbedded to the following specs.

EVO 242 4.7 (00-03) pn 05003453AA
Type: NP 242, 244
Number of links: 49
Width: 1-1/4"

ERO 242 4.0 (00-03) pn 83504575
Type: NP 242
Number of links: 36
Width: 1"
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #110
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Rebuilt the V8 rear drive shaft I got with my 242HD TC. Also replaced all the pads all the way round under lifetime warranty.
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #111
Dusk53
2000 WJ 

wow, talk about a good deal

East Carolina University
Dusk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #112
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I know. I would have bought it for the 150 but 60% off is even better. Gotta love when they have 1/2 off sales. To bad he didnt any more, I could have made a profit.

Just need to get motivated to dig into it and swap it in. Its getting cooler here so that will make it more enticing (73F).
Unread 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #113
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Finally got around to swapping in the 242HD.

Wont bore everyone with details since TC swaps have been covered on here in detail.

Took about 4 hours to swap it including lunch. Had to swap out the input shafts which took about an hour. Everything looked good. Hardly anything on the magnets so that was good.

Had to swap out the studs from the LD to the HD that mount the TC because the HD were longer and you couldnt get a couple of the nuts on after you installed it.

Rebuilt the V8 drive shaft with greasable joints, wire wheeled it down and painted. It fit perfect after the TC was installed. Took it out for a spin when I was done. Got it up to 80 on the freeway with no vibes. Then to a field and ran it in all the TC selections and worked fine.

Here are some pics.

The TC's. You can see the longer input shaft on the V8 TC (the clean one on the left)

Tearing down

All put back together with input shafts swapped

Installed

Old 242LD with V8 shaft installed

Unread 09-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #114
Cnolenwj

2000 WJ 

I'm not gunna lie, I'm a little jealous. Looks good man!

I should be doing a tc swap soon, nothing special just a 247 for another.
I do have one question. I've been looking at u-joints on rockauto and not sure what brand I want to use, thinking moog. What did you install?

Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...build-1195835/

North Texas Grands- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/...rands-1323367/

Grand Slam Texas- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...texas-1419143/

Grand Slam Texas Group- http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups...00000454207551
Cnolenwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #115
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnolenwj View Post
I'm not gunna lie, I'm a little jealous. Looks good man!

I should be doing a tc swap soon, nothing special just a 247 for another.
I do have one question. I've been looking at u-joints on rockauto and not sure what brand I want to use, thinking moog. What did you install?
Thanks. Its never ending, but you know that already.

I got mine at O'riely. They were Precision(MOOG). I think Moog bought them out. If you look on rockauto they precision/moog. They are a little cheaper on rockauto but with my military discount they were close and I didn't have to wait for them. Mine are the heavy duty greasable.
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #116
Cnolenwj

2000 WJ 

Sorry to clutter your thread with questions, but I have one more you might be able to help me with. I'm thinking about trying the ones for $7.78. Any idea what the difference would be between those and the ones for $14.29?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,2392

Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...build-1195835/

North Texas Grands- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/...rands-1323367/

Grand Slam Texas- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...texas-1419143/

Grand Slam Texas Group- http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups...00000454207551
Cnolenwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #117
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnolenwj View Post
Sorry to clutter your thread with questions, but I have one more you might be able to help me with. I'm thinking about trying the ones for $7.78. Any idea what the difference would be between those and the ones for $14.29?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1381418,parttype,2392
The cheaper ones look like standard non-greasable (probably equivalent to stock) and the others are heavy duty (stronger metal) greasable (have zert fitting do you can use a grease gun on them).

I have the heavy duty greasable ones. I'll grease them when I do oil changes. My front shaft already had zerts so they get done at every oil change.

Also the new (used) driveshaft

I beat the crap out of my jeep is why I went heavy duty. Although the stock ones were still good and they are 12 years old. Had took them apart 5 or 6 times and re-lubed them.

Hope that helps ya some.

Also the new (used) drive shaft I put in used 2 different u-joints at either end. Make sure you get a diff end one and a transfer case end one.
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #118
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

wow, you have some really great ideas. I like it.
CRJEeP_wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #119
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjCREEPjeep View Post
wow, you have some really great ideas. I like it.

Thanks. Its a work in progress. Really love the cutting and fabbing.

Full belly skid, Rear fender trim and cutting up the dash a little all coming up next.
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #120
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Where did you buy your 8 ton air ram for $45? I'm probably going to be getting a tube bender and will need one also, how do you like yours so far?
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.