GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing- - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing-

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing the Quart Crate...

Unread 06-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #241
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Thanks for the info. I will probably build my own half doors as soon as I get some free time, so maybe when you get in the area I could pay you to do the vinyl part for me, if your interested.

Unread 06-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #242
Jpayne
1994 ZJ 

So my next step is what you did to your rear seats how you cut that middle section. Do you have a write up on that or know where I can find a write up?
Jpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #243
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Ive been looking for some good hood louvers, and noticed that you have had 2 different kinds. Were the first ones you had Lunds? If so wich ones did you get and how hard were they to mount? Ive been over heating in the hot days on the freeway so im looking for a good louver to help remove heat from the engine bay. Thanks.
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #244
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
So my next step is what you did to your rear seats how you cut that middle section. Do you have a write up on that or know where I can find a write up?
I didnt do a right up.

I just cut the stitching where the center section meets the right seat bottom and back. I then marked with a sharpie the shape where to cut foam from the center along where the stitch line was cut like a template. Then I cut the foam out.

I used where I cut the foam out to mark the plastic seat the and sewed the extra material to the stitching. You also have to remove the cover from the seat top and bottom and metal seat back.

I then removed the seat cover and foam.

I measured how far in on the metal seat back was to be removed and cut a section out of the center of the back so I could weld the two outside halves back together and keep the center hinge point. The bottom is plastic so you cant do that but it works anyways

I made a template of the vinyl pieces from the drivers side section that butts to the pass section. Cut the material out of the pieces removed from the pass seat to finish the split seat. You will see plastic pieces on the seat bottom attached to the material. I cut and sewed them back onto the new material for securing the covers.

Put it all back together.

Cut the extra pin (went into pass seat) off the bracket/hinge. Picked up another bracket/hinge from JY and cut driver side pin off. Put it in pass side and marked and drilled holes to bolt it in to floor.

Thats about it. There a re a few more picks in my "MY WJ REAR SEAT MOD".

Also someone else did it but I dont remember who.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #245
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjCREEPjeep View Post
Ive been looking for some good hood louvers, and noticed that you have had 2 different kinds. Were the first ones you had Lunds? If so wich ones did you get and how hard were they to mount? Ive been over heating in the hot days on the freeway so im looking for a good louver to help remove heat from the engine bay. Thanks.
Yeah the first set were Lund Medium. They attached with double sided sticky tape. They werent funtional. But someone else asked me about mine a while back and ended up getting some and turning them around and making them functional. The front part of them has a black piece that can be removed. Then you would just to cut the hood under them to get them to work. That hood is in my garage now and will be coming with me to Cali if you wanna take a look at in a couple weeks.

The 5.9 ZJ ones I have now let out a lot of heat. I can see the heat waves coming out of them. The cowl on mine could be used as a functional on too. It is off an 81 Dodge Charger 2.2 . I had one of these back in the 80's is why I thought of using it. Back in the day you could buy a kit to turn into a functional cowl.

I have no problem with over heating, but that could change when I get back out to Cali.

Unread 07-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #246
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

I'm having issues with over heating too, gotta love the hot days in California.

More grands in norcal, we all need to plan some trips.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #247
fast540
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc

If u check the California section of the four wheeling forums on this site we do semi organized runs monthly and I'd love to see more wj's out on the trails. I'm tired of being the only wj
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #248
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post

Well made here to Cali. Guess I find out if the jeep can handle the hot days. I do have a pair of fans I pulled off a land rover I was gunna use as pushers if it starts heating up.

Once I get settled in and organized will def be looking to make some runs.
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #249
fast540
1999 WJ 

I actually added the "hd" fan clutch right after I replaced the elec fan and added an adjustable relay. Stays cool and I enjoy ac on the trail
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #250
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
I actually added the "hd" fan clutch right after I replaced the elec fan and added an adjustable relay. Stays cool and I enjoy ac on the trail
I've not had a problem with it getting hot. I wanna do the land rover dual fans as backups. There thin, small and push a lot of air. Ill put them on individual switches. I just don't want the engine drag with a clutch. I have a 300 amp alt and dual batts so power isn't a problem.
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #251
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Was a good day...

Put the half doors on since I haven't seen rain in 10 days here in Cali. Unlike Ohio where its been raining almost every day.

Took it to get smogged and passed with with flying colors. after two hours of the guy looking at every single thing under the hood and asking questions about everything that was moved. LOL

Drove it all over Sacramento and the highway in 100F + temps and the guage stayed around 210. WHOOHOO!

Got the 6" + Jeep to fit into the garage by adjusting the up stop on the door a few inches higher. Yippee!

Unread 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #252
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

I've got some friends doing a fordyce trip soon.

Would you be interested?
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #253
al4u2od
2001 WJ 

Page # 1 Post # 14 hey I was wondering if you have any idea on how to use just a brush/grille guard with a winch without that much modifications to make it work because I am trying to keep it stock as possible. Thank you.
al4u2od is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #254
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by al4u2od View Post
Page # 1 Post # 14 hey I was wondering if you have any idea on how to use just a brush/grille guard with a winch without that much modifications to make it work because I am trying to keep it stock as possible. Thank you.
The bumper cover on that pic is a Bronco bumper cut to cover the sides.

You could do it with all bolt together metal. The biggest thing is if you want to do it without cutting your front bumper. I do not believe there are any brush guards that would support a winch.

The way you would have to do it to be structurally sound is to mount it like I did.

If you want to keep the front bumper cover you will need to make cut outs where rails would have to come out the front.

Check out page 2 post 26 to see how I mounted it.

I have 2x4" 1/4" tube coming out the front. It is bolted to the jeep with the same bolt holes that the factory tow hooks would bolt too.

Then I bolted/welded a harbor freight winch plate to the top of that.

I then notched the brush guard to fit over the winch plate and welded it on. You could fab "L" brackets and bolt the guard to the winch plate though.

That's basically it.

Probably could be done for less than $60 if you can source scrap 2x4 tube and already have the brush guard. Winch plate is $39 (-20% if you take in coupon) from Harbor Freight. Then bolts/washers/nuts.

Here is Rough country winch mount----->http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/-p-...FQHZQgodfQsAaA

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #255
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Drove it around this weekend and the temp stayed a little above 210 most of the day. It usually stays below 210. So I swapped the thermostat out (Original) and got around to installing the the aux fans I got from the JY a couple years ago.

They are of a 4L Land rover. They push a lot of air and turn the stock fan when they are on.

Wired them up to come onto with the stock fan and or by themselves with the switch on my Whelen controller.

Drove it around today in 100+ temps and didnt go over 210.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.