Got tired of my CB bolted to the top of the dash. So I cut it up and fitted the radio, CB, and Whelen controller into it and made a cover. The Whelen controller is wired up to control all the lights, OBA back up lights, rock lights and future accessories.
First, cut up the dash to make room.
Took some sheet metal and made a faceplate. Also cut a hole for the switch that controls my dual battery isolator. Was going to paint it black but found some carbon fiber stick on vinyl at Pep Boys on clearance.
So since I had the carbon fiber I decided to copy Thomahawk and do the other trim pieces also in the center console. The bottom of piece of the console I had contained the ashtray. But since I had another one with a cubby I decided to use that and put a speaker I had laying around for the external CB speaker. Fit perfect. I had to cut the top off the vent panel for this mod.
Next I made the cover. Used wood for this. Put a curve on the back and rounded the sides. Then I put a layer of bondo and formed it to the shape I wanted. Finally I covered it with black vinyl. I tried to match the gray but couldn't. If I fine some later I will recover it.
I picked up a fuse box from a local liquidation place for 3 bucks so I can try and keep everything tidy under the hood since I'm usually not doing that.
I fabbed a bracket for the fuse box from some scrap I had and mounted it to the batt hold down. Also some of the relays are from an early XJ engine bay. They are nice since the have the receptacle and are modular.
I made a cover for it from some scrap plastic I had. I heated it up with a heat gun and formed it to cover the fuse box.
I made a bracket for all the relays I was going to use for the Whelen controller.
Used wire loom under the hood to cover all the wiring I added.
The Whelen didn't have covers for the selectors for the switches so I went on line and found picks of switch labels and made some for mine. Used Power Point to make the symbols. Printed them and then used laminating paper to cover them. Cut them out and inserted them into the Whelen.
When the Whelen is on the switch labels show green, but when you select one it changes to red. I have the slider switch set up to Pos 1= KC lights, Pos 2= Both LED light bars and Pos 3= KC's and light bars together. I also have them set up that they will only come on when the high beams are on. Also Its nice now to have the Blue Sea batt isolator switch installed so now I can switch the batt's from 1 to 2 to off from the cab.
Finally all assembled and working. And yes I do have an external PA speaker on top and the sirens work. I have a kill switch hidden to disable the PA just in case PO-Po has a problem with the Whelen in the Jeep. I also have the CB hooked into the Whelen so it can rebroadcast the CB ext speaker through the PA. All in all I like it.
5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings
[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]
[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders