GC-Overland T/Trailer Towing Advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > GC-Overland T/Trailer Towing Advice?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
gowestwardho

GC-Overland T/Trailer Towing Advice?

I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland with the 5.7L Hemi and Trailer Tow Group IV, HD brakes, HD cooling, Tow/Haul Mode and 220 Amp.

I am getting conflicting info as to what size Travel Trailer I can safely and reasonably tow. I know the manual says 7,200 lbs. GTW, but is that pushing it?

Has anyone trailered say, a 27' Keystone Springdale Travel Trailer with a dry weight of 5,110 and a fully loaded weight of 7,500? The Hitch Weight on this one is just under 600 lbs. I would use a stabilizing hitch obviously.

Could this work for the long haul or am I trying to much here?

gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to let guys who tow with their GCs specifically answer this, but no one has.

I think you're pushing it a little even with a load distributing hitch. I would more comfortable with that load behind a half ton. The GCs suspension and brakes are where the shortcoming lies.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

short distances i would do it, but not anything long.
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

I have a 28ft. I have s had f350 v10. It struggles up hills. Flat land is Ok. I would get s diesel. I use my zj and wj to pull my small trailers like my 12ft box. But that's it.
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

youre probably fine. i towed a 69 pontiac grand prix on a uhaul car trailer (about 6xxx pounds total) with my ZJ, pulled like it wasnt there. im sure the hemi pulls even better. with properly functioning trailer brakes, you shouldnt have any problem stopping either.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.