GC with many miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > GC with many miles

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
ef1992
2001 WJ 

GC with many miles

Im looking at buying my first Jeep. To keep my long story short, I have the money, the love for GC's but I need some help.

Im looking at a 2000 Grand Cherokee with almost 100k on it. Nothing wrong, clean title etc.

Im willing to drop some bills into it, but I want to make sure its mechanically perfect.(or as close as possible)

My question is what wears on the Jeep(engine and other parts) that make people steer away from buying cars with many miles.

What can be replaced that will make it run for as long as possible? I dont mind if it NEEDS to be replaced, I mean things that just can be replaced with better.

Im not a big car buff and I dont know much about these things.

Just imagine a normal Jeep with almost 100k that was maintenanced regularly and never had any big problems. All normall stuff.

Thanks so much guys!

ef1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

first off we'll want to know which engine it has.
Unread 04-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Tiggerrrrr
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef1992 View Post
My question is what wears on the Jeep(engine and other parts) that make people steer away from buying cars with many miles.
A good portion of people think 100k is the life expectancy of a vehicle.

100k is nothing for a Jeep. At that age, parts WILL need replacing. How soon depends on the maintanence performed by previous owners.

Looking for a REAR tow hook and bracket!
Tiggerrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Genericusername
2002 WJ 

Ya info please. But I just got a GC and it has 250,100 , miles on it and its a V8 5.2L only problem so far is a little lurch getting into second gear.
by the thing that spins when you drive underneath
Genericusername is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

If the transmission has been serviced at least twice, the transfer case and axles had their fluid changed at least once, the fuel filter changed at least 2 or 3 times and the oil changed at least 20-30 times, you should be good. Anything better than that on servicing and you're golden.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
ef1992
2001 WJ 

Sorry guys I should have said! Its the 4.7 liter V8. And as far as previous maintenance goes Im not too sure. Id say a majority of car owners do not service and tune up when specified, but only when stuff goes wrong. So Id have to assume the worst and say that the Jeep has not had all that work so far.

100k isnt anything for a Jeep?
Unread 04-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
ef1992
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
If the transmission has been serviced at least twice, the transfer case and axles had their fluid changed at least once, the fuel filter changed at least 2 or 3 times and the oil changed at least 20-30 times, you should be good. Anything better than that on servicing and you're golden.

And lets say that has not been done, or not to that extent, do you recommend immediate replacement?

I also hear Chrysler(*) has bad service
Unread 04-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #8
Pomorza
1996 ZJ 

Hello
100k is really nothing for a jeep that has been taken care of. Trust me on this if the previous owner did regular (the key word there) maintenance the 100k is just the start. I have 253k on my 96ZJ and have very few if any problems.

Now if you say it has not been work on so far...as in no oil changes, no tune ups, no changes of any wear and tear parts than I would probably say to stay away. If you don't change oil (engine and gear) eventually you get that nice tar like substance known as SLUDGE all over the engine and other areas. This harms the engine...(is a nice way of putting it). Not changing oil also implies you don't change the filter.. thus dirty oil which does not lube parts as efficiently.

If you're really looking into buying this car I would say take it to a trusted mechanic and ask them to take a look at it. See what they say. If the thing has never been taken care of I'm pretty positive that the mechanic you take it to will know.

Hope this helped
Jan
Unread 04-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #9
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you assume that the previous owner did at least basic things like oil changes and such it shouldn't be bad, it could be better but it could be worse, from what a average view of things would be is that your probably good to go with a few quirks here and there. Most of the time the drive train is the best part about a Jeep, so you shouldn't have a lot of worries, but other info on the WJ would help paint a better picture, such as Laredo or Limited, how many previous owners, private or dealer or just anything. But unless you get a lemon or something you should have a good long lasting Jeep as it sounds like you are going to take care of it.
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
ef1992
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomorza View Post
Hello
100k is really nothing for a jeep that has been taken care of. Trust me on this if the previous owner did regular (the key word there) maintenance the 100k is just the start. I have 253k on my 96ZJ and have very few if any problems.

Now if you say it has not been work on so far...as in no oil changes, no tune ups, no changes of any wear and tear parts than I would probably say to stay away. If you don't change oil (engine and gear) eventually you get that nice tar like substance known as SLUDGE all over the engine and other areas. This harms the engine...(is a nice way of putting it). Not changing oil also implies you don't change the filter.. thus dirty oil which does not lube parts as efficiently.

If you're really looking into buying this car I would say take it to a trusted mechanic and ask them to take a look at it. See what they say. If the thing has never been taken care of I'm pretty positive that the mechanic you take it to will know.

Hope this helped
Jan
Everyone I talk to say if your ever buying used take it to a mechanic. But what Im not too sure of is how I take a car I have not purchased yet to one in the first place.
Unread 04-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

100k is nothing to be worried about. Make sure the previous owners weren't oblivious to regular maintenance and you're looking at getting another 100k out of it as long as you continue to keep up on the maintenance.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Have to owner meet you at the garage with it (dealers have plates), you set the appointment , and pay for the inspection . Any reputable dealer or decent person should be able to accomadate you as a curtousy for the sale .

BTW , how much ??
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Pomorza
1996 ZJ 

As newfieZJ said. Have the owner meet you at a dealership or a mechanic. You pay for the inspection and have it done. Anyone that is serious about selling their car won't decline taking it to a shop, or I wouldn't think they would unless there was something wrong with the car to begin with.

Jan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.