FUEL ECONOMY... even on highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > FUEL ECONOMY... even on highway

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
tyaquinto
2004 WJ 

FUEL ECONOMY... even on highway

Hello,

My WJ like all, gets crappy MPG's.. I can accept this, but the problem is even on the freeway i still get about 12.. infact sometimes my freeway MPG is less than the city.. I have even tried driving like an old man..

This happened even when it was all stock.. so its not the add ons that have completely added to this.

I just did plugs, even a new coil pack, new fuel pump.. i am thinking maybe o2's or injectors?

I am new to this as well.. so sorry if this same post already appears..

todd

tyaquinto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
tyaquinto
2004 WJ 

meant to say.. fuel filter.. not pump
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
straty1987

how about air filter, all the oils?

check to see if any calibers are sized or if you have any codes
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

What mileage? What maintenance has been performed?

You have an I6 not v6.

Could be front hubs. Mine are also suspect, but they are fine when I test them.

x2 on brakes and also check the parking brake isn't seizing.

Maybe a clogged cat or otherwise poor exhaust, or intake. Has the throttle body been cleaned ever?

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
tyaquinto
2004 WJ 

woops on the v6.. not sure why i put a v there.. only reason i bought this one was for the i6 haha..

air filter is brand new, oil is new, i am gonna check the codes see if anything is showing up, milage is 97k but i have had the vehical since it was in the 60k range.

i'll check the rear parking brake.

what would be wrong with the front hubs?

Throttle body has not been cleaned, and i will check out the cat, from tha cat back is new too gibson exhaust..

You think a bad o2 could be?

thanks all
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
redfoxbody
1996 ZJ 

how fast do you drive on the highway?

I have the 4.0 too and anything over 68MPH for me and my gas mileage falls off the face of the earth lol

I would do a basic tuneup if you havent already, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc...

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="White"][CENTER]Depressed about your car dent? dentszone.com[/CENTER] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=]Nice the legs in that last picture, almost makes you not think about the jeep.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=]My 16 year old little sister, you creep.[/QUOTE]
redfoxbody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Could be an o2, maintenance says every 80k I believe. If you don't have cali emissions you'll have two o2s. an upstream and downstream. Did you put the one after the cat back in after the exhaust work??

Hubs are basically the front bearings and can wear out. This is probably the best writeup on it here on the forum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...w-pics-377208/

I'm not saying they are bad, but it's possible. I check mine by taking off the wheel, removing the caliper and then spinning the rotor around to see if it binds or feels bad. So far mine haven't so I haven't replaced them yet.

If you do tuneup, get a cap and rotor with brass contacts.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
tyaquinto
2004 WJ 

the odd thing is on the free what jeep has always had a hard time at 65.. so i go about 60ish.. if you go 70 its fine, i usually dont. but 65 is hard to obtain unsure why.. its like 60 or 70 but no 65..

i dont drive fast at all..
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

you should be able to get close to 22mpg at 60mph
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
straty1987

is the diff & TV fluid old
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.