Front differential on GC is humming all time... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Front differential on GC is humming all time...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 07-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Front differential on GC is humming all time...

Ok, first of all, I'm posting this for our babysitter who is in college and living paycheck to paycheck.....We are trying to help her out and make sure she is getting help on a differential issue. She has a 2001 Grand Cherokee that shes owned for approx. 2 years. I talked with her today, and she told me she had it looked at by a local mechanic due to a loud noise from the front of the vehicle. She said she has heard "humming" coming from the front since she bought it and finally decided to have it looked at after people commented about the noise. Now, I'm getting this info from a young lady, and over the phone, so bear with me....
She said the "humming" is constant while driving, and that there are no other noises like grinding or anything. It does stop when she's not rolling. She took it to a local mechanic that I've used and that I know is trustworthy, but he sent her to a different mechanic of who I don't know. That person told her she needs a whole new front differential and that it shouldn't be driven. She has the automatic all wheel drive so she can't shut down the front diff.
Sorry for the vague symptoms; I've not driven or been near the vehicle yet or I would be able to explain more. I'm assuming the first mechanic she went to would have at least checked the diff. fluid, but when I get a chance I'll check that and see what else I can find. Unfortanately, this is a little bit out of my CJ "world", so I don't want to dig into it too far and mess it up further.
Thanks for any help.

Dborns is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

I'd flush out the old fluid in the diff and see if that helps.
Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

its prob a wheel bearing...mine does it from time to time. my tranny also hums a little from time to time
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

but if they are sure that its the differential there are several things that it could be. napa sells a good product for diff restoring.. i cant quite remember the name of it but if you stop in and ask them they will advise you on what to do. its made for limited slips but its works extremely well on open diffs as well.
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Yeah, I thought maybe bearings or fluid, but with her taking it to a mechanic and him telling her it was the diff., I wasn't sure. I can't imagine a mechanic would try to pull one on a young college girl....Like I said, the first mechanic she went to is very reputable, and he sent her to someone else in town for some reason. I would think fluids would be the first thing they would check/ change unless just by the sound of it he new it was more than what he wanted to mess with. I need to drive it so I can get a better idea, and post back here with better symptoms....
If I get a chance to look at it tomorrow, and it is low or dirty diff. fluid, what does it take? Again, I don't have the specifics on the model, I'm assuming its a stock front diff. I was never able to find info on my CJ's axles, but maybe with this being newer I can get a better idea of what it is.
If its bearings, can I check them by jacking the wheel and wiggling it?
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Bigb, I'll check into the diff. restore. I just can't think of why a diff. would be "humming". It smells like bearings to me, which would be easy to take care of opposed to replacing the diff. I've heard of grinding, clunking, ticking, etc., from a diff., but not humming.....
What major problems plaque the GC around that year? Transmissions, tcases, brakes?. Anything really stand out?
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Bigb, I'll check into the diff. restore. I just can't think of why a diff. would be "humming". It smells like bearings to me, which would be easy to take care of opposed to replacing the diff. I've heard of grinding, clunking, ticking, etc., from a diff., but not humming.....
What major problems plaque the GC around that year? Transmissions, tcases, brakes?. Anything really stand out?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.